Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 16:37   #31

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: OpenCPN not seeing dAISy output

Is there any reason the range of AIS messages should be different from the range of VHF voice communications? Isn't the most important consideration height of the antenna? I had a solid communication from Jekyll Island, Georgia with the Coast Guard base in Mayport, Florida, about 35 miles away. I was using a hand held VHF transmitting at 1 watt. It's my understanding the Coast Guard has really high antennas.

I don't mean to dismiss other issues regarding antenna construction, length of coax feed lines, and so on. But is there something special about AIS messages that makes those factors more important than they are for voice communications?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 17:11   #32

Boat: Phantom 19

It is still VHF - with range basically limited by the horizon and its very limited bounce potential. Physics are hard to beat. But AIS is modulated data and to be usable you have to be able to decode it correctly, so the signal has to be "higher quality" than what you need to receive a somewhat readable voice. To improve the range a better antenna, better and shorter coax, etc. sure do contribute. The theoretical maximum range with standard equipment and transmission power will always be according to that picture from the book though, so antenna height rules it all.
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 23:55   #33

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Gerhard,

from your screenshot you have one target at 20 something miles. Complete normal. Will get everybody with an antenna at 10-15m.

And you will have correct connectors and cables.

What Petter is pointing out that he knows from the installations he is putting on vessels how important these "details" are.

As you say the rest of the targets you observe are relayed. From our station at Barcelona we see as well a lot of relayed Atons or MRCCs at several hundred miles. So what..
With ducting we get targets at the north coast of your Tunesia or at the Alboran. But completely useless. Nice to observe, ok...

And don't tell people that the working range of AIS is 80 miles. 10, 15, perhaps 25..
And yes, receiver, cables and antennas count.
Hubert,
you might have forgotten that the next relay I can receive is at Pantelleria, 82 miles away. So it's not all correct what you wrote.

But of course it is most importand to contradict someone...

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 00:39   #34

Boat: Phantom 19

Gerhard...
What exactly are you trying to explain us, please?
From the picture above, your system is able to receive a class A target less than 30 miles away. Not exactly something impressive IMO.
And you are receiving a high power signal from 83 miles away over clear water, that is also quite normal I would say. How exactly does this tell us that your claims about cables etc. being completely unimportant and everybody saying otherwise is telling ********, are valid, please? Do you have any numbers? Like real numbers - the ones showing loss in the cables, you know...

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:19   #35

Boat: Amel Sharki

Pavel,
I have not asking or telling you anything.
So you might please keep off.
I know however which kind of guy you are.
Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:34   #36

Just to report; without having changed anything, I suddenly started getting AIS targets in OpenCPN. I have not changed any settings, switched antenna, or moved location, so I'm afraid I don't know why things now work. Perhaps a change in weather conditions? Spent some time last night monitoring traffic out to 12nm from my location - gave me goosebumps tbh.
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 14:22   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Just to report; without having changed anything, I suddenly started getting AIS targets in OpenCPN. I have not changed any settings, switched antenna, or moved location, so I'm afraid I don't know why things now work. Perhaps a change in weather conditions? Spent some time last night monitoring traffic out to 12nm from my location - gave me goosebumps tbh.
Glad to hear it's working for you now. My guess is weather made the difference or something that was generating electrical noise stopped. Many years ago I was installing a CB antenna on my boat in St. Petersburg, Florida and began picking up traffic from Houston, Texas. It was not a regular occurence.

Fabbian
Old 14-11-2016, 11:48   #38

Boat: Dufour 35

Connections on Linux has a few quirks, that I'm used to. You have to do kind of double entry.
Perhaps tis is the root to "Lomax" problems. Let me describe what's happens.
We start with O without AIS. Then I plug in AIS. Pressing Connections it looks like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Con1.png
Views:	93
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	136191

Name:	Con2.png
Views:	81
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	136192

There is no way AIS will work when pressing Apply/OK. Not yet!
You have to press Connections again. The Data Port field will come up blank again. Pressing arrow down and choosing the first option, in this case /dev/ttyACM0, will do the trick. Press apply, and you will often see a slight delay. Now your AIS should work.

Name:	Con3.png
Views:	94
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	136193

Name:	Con4.png
Views:	84
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	136194

This is the way i works for me all the time.
Bug or feature? I don't know, but it sure may be a bit confusing at first.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 09:46   #39

I ran OpenCPN last night to look at some AIS targets. I shut down the computer (Ubuntu 14.04) when I was done. This morning I started the computer and launched OpenCPN. No AIS output. I hadn't moved or changed anything but I wasn't getting any data from the dAISy.

I removed the connection and tried to add it back but the only available port was for the GPS (/dev/ttyUSB0). I closed OpenCPN, opened a Terminal window, and typed "ls /dev". I looked for ACM0. Not there. I unplugged the dAISy from the USB port, then reconnected it. Still no ACM0 in /dev. I started searching online for some help. In the dAISy manual it said for Linux the dAISy didn't require a driver, it would automatically come up as /dev/ttyACM0. That one was there so I knew the device was sending data. I restarted OpenCPN to add the connection. /dev/ttyACM0 was back on the list and when I added it I had AIS targets again.

I don't know what made it disappear but when you're troubleshooting remember the device is ttyACM0, not ACM0. Recovery will go quicker.

Fabbian
Old 17-11-2016, 09:19   #40

Boat: Friendship 28

Hi,

Lomax I use the dAISy reciver too. It works fine with my pi2 and OC 4.4.

There is one point you have to check. This is the usb cable shipped with the dAISy. It seems not to be the best quality and this cable is as I must learnd a reason why this little receiver suddenly don´t send data to the pi.
The LEDs at the receiver are blinking and all semms fine but no data.

So try out an other usb cable and my be it works better.

Regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 12:12   #41
Marine Service Provider

I second that one. Had the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas29 View Post
Hi,

Lomax I use the dAISy reciver too. It works fine with my pi2 and OC 4.4.

There is one point you have to check. This is the usb cable shipped with the dAISy. It seems not to be the best quality and this cable is as I must learnd a reason why this little receiver suddenly don´t send data to the pi.
The LEDs at the receiver are blinking and all semms fine but no data.

So try out an other usb cable and my be it works better.

Regards

Andreas
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 12:48   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
I second that one. Had the same issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas29 View Post
Petter, Andreas: Did you purchase your dAISy recently? I'm aware of quality issues in 2015, but I ship the product with a sturdier USB cable since January 2016.

@Lomax: Sorry that I missed this thread. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need technical support with the dAISy receivers.
astuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:29   #43

Boat: Friendship 28

Hi,

Adrian, I purchased the dAISy in january this year. The boating season starts in april and the first problems with the cable started at june after a couple of times using the dAISy. When using an other usb cable then the probs are gone. So I think I´ve a faulty cable.

Regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 15:31   #44

I'm sorry to hear that. You might have been one of the last unlucky ones that received the flimsy cables. PM me when you need another replacement.
astuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:12   #45
Marine Service Provider

No, My cable was one of the "Old ones" - no problem for me to replace the cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuder View Post
Petter, Andreas: Did you purchase your dAISy recently? I'm aware of quality issues in 2015, but I ship the product with a sturdier USB cable since January 2016.

@Lomax: Sorry that I missed this thread. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need technical support with the dAISy receivers.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, enc, opencpn