Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2016, 10:22   #1
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31
opencpn not getting gps/ais data

a puzzlement.....

i am/was running two identical win7 64bit systems with o4.4, bu353 prolific gps. (primary nav and a backup)worked great, when it worked--but the BSOD (blue screen of death) was too much for me. changed to the FTDI serial adapter. easy conversion-- on one machine-- works like a champ. get both gps and ais thru the same cable. (though i haven't tested it overnite yet...) on the second machine it connects, sees the ports, the ports are "operating normally" but i see NO DATA-- on the gps info, ais, or on the nmea debug screen.

I have reloaded o4.4, copied the config file from the running one to the non, the drivers are the same version, i turned firewalls off, all to no avail.

the only difference between the two machines is the non-working unit has some other programs on it such as active captain, and google earth. although these programs are not on is it possible these programs are interrupting the gps stream?? i can move the cable back and forth between the two units and one always works and the other draws a blank- so i think the units are getting the data. btw the non working unit will readily work on the bu353--but i assume it is awaiting its next BSOD event...

many thanks in advance for your thoughts!
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 16:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: opencpn not getting gps/ais data

No puzzle, just works, see link

Xinutop-nav, decicated marine OS for x86 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
a puzzlement.....

i am/was running two identical win7 64bit systems with o4.4, bu353 prolific gps. (primary nav and a backup)worked great, when it worked--but the BSOD (blue screen of death) was too much for me. changed to the FTDI serial adapter. easy conversion-- on one machine-- works like a champ. get both gps and ais thru the same cable. (though i haven't tested it overnite yet...) on the second machine it connects, sees the ports, the ports are "operating normally" but i see NO DATA-- on the gps info, ais, or on the nmea debug screen.

I have reloaded o4.4, copied the config file from the running one to the non, the drivers are the same version, i turned firewalls off, all to no avail.

the only difference between the two machines is the non-working unit has some other programs on it such as active captain, and google earth. although these programs are not on is it possible these programs are interrupting the gps stream?? i can move the cable back and forth between the two units and one always works and the other draws a blank- so i think the units are getting the data. btw the non working unit will readily work on the bu353--but i assume it is awaiting its next BSOD event...

many thanks in advance for your thoughts!
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 20:50   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

I also and not getting my AIS signal- new OPENcpn setup
Vesper XB-8000 - WIFI only
Win 10, 64 bit on a Dell Latitude
The laptop connects to the Vesper WIFI ( I see it connected) but Open CPN does not see it. I did not see anything in settings. I am sure I am missing some step but do not know what it is. I can do this via WIFI, correct? Or do I need to hardwire this somehow?
Charts installed and working fine.
thanks in advance,
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 22:49   #4
Marine Service Provider

you must setup in the connections tab ip and port ot the AIS together with ais speed 38400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
I also and not getting my AIS signal- new OPENcpn setup
Vesper XB-8000 - WIFI only
Win 10, 64 bit on a Dell Latitude
The laptop connects to the Vesper WIFI ( I see it connected) but Open CPN does not see it. I did not see anything in settings. I am sure I am missing some step but do not know what it is. I can do this via WIFI, correct? Or do I need to hardwire this somehow?
Charts installed and working fine.
thanks in advance,
Ed
Old 01-12-2016, 06:31   #5

Petter - thanks for responding. So I went to settings, clicked on add connection and then the options are serial and network. I assume network? (see attached pic) I see where to change the baud speed. Sorry to be so dense. What am I missing?
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS Capture-network.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	137269  
Old 01-12-2016, 06:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

You are missing the ip address of your Vesper XB-8000 - Required if you use TCP.

It might be that it works without the ip address if you change to UDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Petter - thanks for responding. So I went to settings, clicked on add connection and then the options are serial and network. I assume network? (see attached pic) I see where to change the baud speed. Sorry to be so dense. What am I missing?
Ed
Old 03-12-2016, 17:39   #7

Entered the IP address, should this be as a serial or network connection? Tried TCP, UDP and even GPSD, nothing seems to work. I can do this with a WIFI connection to the Vesper unit to get the GPS signal, correct? If not, should I use the output from the Garmin chartplotter? If so, do I need to cut open a USB cable?
Old 03-12-2016, 19:24   #8
Marine Service Provider

Ed...

First thing to do is find out if the Vesper is really online and ready to transmit.

Do Vesper provide any other test or configuration applications for Windows?

Wifi connection will be a ""Network" connection, according to OCPN.
So, we need to know what network protocol Vesper is using. Should be documented as TCP or UDP in their docs. Should also tell us the address/port that the device uses. Should be no need to guess.

Maybe some other Vesper user/tech has this info at hand...

Good Luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:39   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

https://www.google.com/search?q=vesp...utf-8&oe=utf-8
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 19:55   #10

EXCELLENT !!! It was the data port setting. Working great now. Thanks to all.
Ed
Old 05-12-2016, 08:58   #11
kcj

petter,
after some reading and program experimentation i now see the light!

I have gotten xinuttop to run and it looks promising...but i am having some learning curve issues--
--when i shut the program down it will not restart, i get an error "target filesystem does not have requested /sbin/init" i reload the program on the usb and then all is fine, but i am at square one... what am i doing wrong? closing improperly?

also how do i get the old waypoint file( navobj) into the xinutop system??

Many thanks, john
Old 06-12-2016, 10:21   #12
Marine Service Provider

It seems that there is some problem with the file system on your USB drive. Do you use a new, quality brand usb drive ?? - have you removed the usb while the system is running - when booting, did you use "boot to ram" or normal boot from usb ? I has used the xinutop boot usb many times and on different computers and has never seen this error when booting from tha xinutop usb.

Regardind navobjects file, just copy the file from the other pc using a usb drive to the opencpn config directory on the pc running opencpn/xinutop from the usb. Location will be
Code:
 /home/xinutop/.opencpn/
The xinutop folder is a hidden folder, to display it you will have to press
Code:
 ctrl + h
to display the hidden folders.

Quote:
petter,
after some reading and program experimentation i now see the light!

I have gotten xinuttop to run and it looks promising...but i am having some learning curve issues--
--when i shut the program down it will not restart, i get an error "target filesystem does not have requested /sbin/init" i reload the program on the usb and then all is fine, but i am at square one... what am i doing wrong? closing improperly?

also how do i get the old waypoint file( navobj) into the xinutop system??

Many thanks, john
Old 06-12-2016, 15:56   #13
kcj

Petter,
You were spot on! A different flash drive solved the issues. Outstanding!

I am now testing for stability and lack of bsod--and I expect it will astound me..

A couple of follow up questions:
1. Where will winutop write updates to navobj?? In the pre-existing Windows file on the pc, or to a file on the flash drive? It appears to be the former but I had to import the routes and waypoints in from that file, and Windows will not let me view what's on the usb, it's not hidden its in a different format(it wants to reformat that drive...)

2. The tide charts show up with the right raw data-- but the time (red vert line) over compensates for Zulu. Said another way the clock on the status bar has my correct local time, but the red line shows up as if that was Zulu.. Have I entered something wrong or does it need to be tweaked?

Now to get the program tweeked just right and test it out-- I am hopeful that this will be a robust solution! Many thanks for the recommendation and insight.

Best, john
Old 07-12-2016, 01:39   #14
Marine Service Provider

1. you must format a USB drive in fat16 or fat32 format and copy the navobjects.xml file while running under windows to this usb. Shut down the PC, remove the usb drive with the navobjects.xml file. Boot from the Xinutop usb drive, when booted, insert the usb drive with the navobjects.xml file and then copy this file to /home/xinutop/.opencpn directory. it is important that opencpn is not running while doing this. After copying the file, start opencpn and all the tracks should be there.
  2. I will have to look into this one, maybe some other in the forum has a quick reply to this one ?
/Petter

Quote:
Petter,
You were spot on! A different flash drive solved the issues. Outstanding!

I am now testing for stability and lack of bsod--and I expect it will astound me..

A couple of follow up questions:
1. Where will winutop write updates to navobj?? In the pre-existing Windows file on the pc, or to a file on the flash drive? It appears to be the former but I had to import the routes and waypoints in from that file, and Windows will not let me view what's on the usb, it's not hidden its in a different format(it wants to reformat that drive...)

2. The tide charts show up with the right raw data-- but the time (red vert line) over compensates for Zulu. Said another way the clock on the status bar has my correct local time, but the red line shows up as if that was Zulu.. Have I entered something wrong or does it need to be tweaked?

Now to get the program tweeked just right and test it out-- I am hopeful that this will be a robust solution! Many thanks for the recommendation and insight.

Best, john
Old 07-12-2016, 10:45   #15
kcj

I think I got it sorted! Thanks again. It helped getting a search function working. Too much windows history to overcome

I'm now trying to get the power mgt function sorted out. Should I be losing the connections to gps and ais when it goes to standby ? Suspend?

And when I reboot program should i need to re link Chart, gps and ais? Thanks for the assistance!

Tags
ais, enc, gps, opencpn