Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2019, 08:19   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: OpenCPN NMEA input thru USB100 woes

This is a complete shot in the dark, but in O connection config try:

Output on this port
Output filtering
Transmit sentences
In the filter box use the dropdown to select a single sentence for which you have no data (so nothing will actually get transmitted).

What I'm curious about is whether or not that will trigger some flow control in O that starts the data flow.

As noted, a completely random shot, but the cost is low.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 10:18   #17

Gave that a try, nothing changed in the response.

I keep coming back to not seeing any real activity on the serial port sniffer. I know I posted a screen shot yesterday of that working, but it only woke up when I disconnected and reconnected the USB cable, and then after a bit it would freeze. I'm using a different sniffer now and it successfully opens the port, but then just sits, waiting for data to flow but nothing ever happens. I think I've got a Maretron-specific problem and I'm hoping to get them on the phone today to figure it out.

I'll let you know what they say.

AA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Output Filtering 112919.png
Views:	77
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	203956  
AboardAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 14:07   #18

I think the lack of activity on the comm port was due to the software I was using to sniff it. I've found something better and get a very consistent reporting of NMEA 1083 sentences over the port. Attached is a dump of the data over a couple minutes of running. The sentences look strange to me, especially the $II leading characters and the Lat/Lon data with decimal in the wrong place. I need some eyes on it to confirm whether I've got a problem with sentence format out of the Maretron or not. If the sentences look ok, than this is likely a OpenCPN issue...

Again, any help is very much appreciated.

AA
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NMEA 0183 Data Dump.pdf (149.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 29-11-2019, 14:35   #19

I know I'm coming across as rather neurotic with posting my own replies. Apologies.

Big breakthrough. Downgraded to OpenCPN 4.0 and everything just started working! Something is broken in 5.0 or has a hidden setting somewhere that I can't find. Regardless, I'm going to stick with 4.0 until others figure out what's up with version 5.

No issues with the Maretron USB100....it was all in OpenCPN.

Now I can get back to actually building this network!

AA
Old 29-11-2019, 15:17   #20

Thanks for the update. I have seen similar problems with 5 on a few other systems and have opened a ticket. This will add a little additional data. Something is happening with the way O opens a virtual serial port - on some operating systems. I have some suspicions but need to spend some focused testing time.

The "II" at the beginning of each sentence is the talker ID. If you have multiple NMEA streams into O you can tell what is coming from where by the ID but for the most part it just gets ignored.
Old 29-11-2019, 15:20   #21

One more thing, the NMEA standard for lat/long is DDMM.xxxx, so the decimal looks like it is in the wrong place, but just a compact way of sending the data.
Old 29-11-2019, 16:04   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I’m pretty sure I have seen this discussed before and one of the developers came up with the solution... but of-course I forgot what it was. Pretty sure it was here on the forum in the OpenCPN section so may be that Google search can still find it...
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 16:50   #23

I'll do more searching on that solution. 5.0 is certainly a more refined product compared to 4.8, but if it doesn't work than it doesn't really matter how clean it looks, right? Thanks for all the help guys...I really really appreciate the back and forth.

AA
Old 30-11-2019, 01:06   #24

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboardAdventurer View Post
I think the lack of activity on the comm port was due to the software I was using to sniff it. I've found something better and get a very consistent reporting of NMEA 1083 sentences over the port. Attached is a dump of the data over a couple minutes of running. The sentences look strange to me, especially the $II leading characters and the Lat/Lon data with decimal in the wrong place. I need some eyes on it to confirm whether I've got a problem with sentence format out of the Maretron or not. If the sentences look ok, than this is likely a OpenCPN issue...

Again, any help is very much appreciated.

AA
Just for info are the attached NMEA sentences OK also in v 5.0
Here played with the VDR plugin:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NMEA.png
Views:	89
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	204012  
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 03:03   #25

You might be able to circumvent the problem by having a software multiplexer like Kplex or Signal K Node Server handle the serial input. Either one of them can make the data available over tcp and you can configure O to connect to that stream.

http://www.stripydog.com/kplex/
https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-server-node/

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ftware:signalk

Oh right, you’re on windows? That rules out Kplex I’m afraid. Is Linux an option for you? I would guess the problem is os specific.
teppokurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 05:13   #26

I have looked into SignalK, but I am a programming dunce (really) and though the idea of SignalK is very intriguing to me, especially with multitude of options for custom dashboards, the reality is that I'd likely have a pile of useless junk in the end of the exercise. I agree that dumping the data into a TCP stream would likely get rid of the issue. I'd likely try signal K if I didn't need to buy an ikommunicate gateway to test it, but since the buy-in is not free, I probably won't even go down that road.

Thanks for the suggestion though...its a good one.

As for Linux, its a little too computer-sciency for me unfortunately. I've been a windows guy for decades and don't see myself getting out of that groove unless forced.

AA
Old 30-11-2019, 05:21   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have looked into SignalK, but I am a programming dunce (really) and though the idea of SignalK is very intriguing to me, especially with multitude of options for custom dashboards, the reality is that I'd likely have a pile of useless junk in the end of the exercise. I agree that dumping the data into a TCP stream would likely get rid of the issue. I'd likely try signal K if I didn't need to buy an ikommunicate gateway to test it, but since the buy-in is not free, I probably won't even go down that road.

Thanks for the suggestion though...its a good one.

As for Linux, its a little too computer-sciency for me unfortunately. I've been a windows guy for decades and don't see myself getting out of that groove unless forced.

AA
I also recommend to use NMEA over tcp but there are easy and low cost ways of doing it. I have managed it or free by finding out which tcp Port my old Furuno Navnet 3D plotter put it on. Next I used the feature on my Vesper AIS by simply enabling the feature in setup. Now I use a device designed for it from Yacht Devices. I have their wifi gateway but they have a new product coming out which is straight to wired Ethernet that is even better I think.
https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_gateway.html
Old 30-11-2019, 05:29   #28

Interesting concept. I have seen the various WiFi gateways but didn't put 2 and 2 together. I too like the idea of wired connections, at least for the primary connection between network and PC/Server. I'll keep an eye on the Yacht Devices website and maybe snag one of their N2k to Ethernet dongles when they come out.

Cheers.

AA
Old 30-11-2019, 05:32   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Interesting concept. I have seen the various WiFi gateways but didn't put 2 and 2 together. I too like the idea of wired connections, at least for the primary connection between network and PC/Server. I'll keep an eye on the Yacht Devices website and maybe snag one of their N2k to Ethernet dongles when they come out.
It will be available for order in December. Here is the announcement and picture (on Facebook but you can see the page without logging in/having an account) https://www.facebook.com/61279616219...570274?sfns=mo
Old 30-11-2019, 06:45   #30

This is great news. I'll keep a close eye on it. Thanks!

AA

Tags
enc, nmea, opencpn