Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2019, 06:55   #31

Re: OpenCPN NMEA input thru USB100 woes

All you have to do is install the free SK server, start it, add the serial connection in the server’s admin ui, restart it and add a tcp connection to localhost 10110 in O.

No additional hardware needed. No need to ever look at the dashboards etc.

And all you can loose is time if it doesn’t work for you...
teppokurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 07:59   #32
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboardAdventurer View Post
I'll keep an eye on the Yacht Devices website and maybe snag one of their N2k to Ethernet dongles when they come out.
You might find you need something like signalk to do anything with the N2K messages though, certainly if you want to get them to opencpn. Maybe there's a win prog to convert n2k to nmea0183?

For a new system it really is worth considering signalk to do all the work, if you have a monitor, mouse & keyboard knocking about then a raspberry pi 3B+ doesn't cost much to have a play. I've been running one 24/7 for a good few years now, rock solid. Operating system shouldn't really be noticed once set up and set up is pretty easy. Hard wired NMEA2k to usb is about £50 from memory.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 12:12   #33

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
I'll do more searching on that solution. 5.0 is certainly a more refined product compared to 4.8, but if it doesn't work than it doesn't really matter how clean it looks, right? Thanks for all the help guys...I really really appreciate the back and forth.

AA
What serial port are you telling O to use? Is the USB device plugged in before you start O?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 14:18   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by teppokurki View Post
All you have to do is install the free SK server, start it, add the serial connection in the server’s admin ui, restart it and add a tcp connection to localhost 10110 in O.

No additional hardware needed. No need to ever look at the dashboards etc.

And all you can loose is time if it doesn’t work for you...
I did this very thing this morning. I was able to dump the serial data coming in off the USB100 into a TCP channel via 3rd party software. In 4.8.4 it worked like a charm, and then I reinstalled V5 and it worked there as well!!! So I'm going to be able to run 5 and maybe (just maybe) take the data sitting in the TCP channel and route it over WiFi to be picked up by other devices. For now I'm a happy camper.

Comm Tunnel Pro is the software I'm using to bring the serial data from the Comm port into the TCP channel. If there is better software out there for doing this, I'd love to hear about it.

AA
AboardAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 14:21   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
You might find you need something like signalk to do anything with the N2K messages though, certainly if you want to get them to opencpn. Maybe there's a win prog to convert n2k to nmea0183?

For a new system it really is worth considering signalk to do all the work, if you have a monitor, mouse & keyboard knocking about then a raspberry pi 3B+ doesn't cost much to have a play. I've been running one 24/7 for a good few years now, rock solid. Operating system shouldn't really be noticed once set up and set up is pretty easy. Hard wired NMEA2k to usb is about £50 from memory.
I'm bringing N2K into the PC via the Maretron USB100 gateway. The USB100 is converting the N2K data into 0183 data and then dumping it onto the serial port. I've played the RPi game before and I've found it to be adequate, but rather limited for my larger goals. I'd love to try out Signal K, and I might eventually, but for now I think I've got this thing figured out to be acceptable for next season.

AA
Old 30-11-2019, 14:33   #36
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:

You may find that the YachtD gadgets transmit nmea2000 PGN’s as well as convert them to the familiar nmea0183 sentences and transmit thema’s well. It really is as simple as plugging it in and it works on OoenCPN, iSailor, iNavX and all other software that can take NMEA over tcp
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 21:35   #37
cruiser

Quote:
I'm bringing N2K into the PC via the Maretron USB100 gateway. The USB100 is converting the N2K data into 0183 data and then dumping it onto the serial port.
Ah, missed that bit
Old 30-11-2019, 23:41   #38
Moo

Quote:
Comm Tunnel Pro is the software I'm using to bring the serial data from the Comm port into the TCP channel. If there is better software out there for doing this, I'd love to hear about it.

AA
GPSGate client (or whatever it's new name is) just sits there and works. I haven't had a glitch with it in several years.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
GPSGate client (or whatever it's new name is) just sits there and works. I haven't had a glitch with it in several years.

I tried out GPSGate and didn't see where it converted serial to tcp, just broadcast a single comm port to multiple com ports. Maybe I missed something? I'll check it out again.

AA
Old 01-12-2019, 20:29   #40
Moo

Quote:
I tried out GPSGate and didn't see where it converted serial to tcp, just broadcast a single comm port to multiple com ports. Maybe I missed something? I'll check it out again.

AA
You should see plenty of options in the output tab. Perhaps you have to have the paid version to have the all the options. I know you have to have paid version to set up multiple inputs. This is what I have as options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPSGate.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	204187  
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:04   #41

Boat: Symbol 55 Pilot House

I have a number of Yacht Devices devices (hmm, that sounds wrong) and have gotten the NMEA 0183 output from them to work with OpenCPN easily. I've tried using their "RAW" mode which is supposed to be NMEA 2000-ish, but never gotten that to work in OpenCPN or many other tools for that matter.

Screen shot below is of Yacht Devices Wireless Gateway being used in OpenCPN with their NMEA 0183 TCP port server.

Click image for larger version

Name:	YDWG.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	204481

Fantastic devices that can spit out multiple NMEA streams to varying other devices with low power, reliable software, and less complexity than some other solutions.
notz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 16:53   #42

Quote:
I've played the RPi game before and I've found it to be adequate, but rather limited for my larger goals.
Then maybe take a look at the new RPi4 instead of the 3B+. It's faster & more powerful, 64bit, comes with your choice of 1,2 or 4GB of RAM, can run 2 HD monitors simultaneously, and there are no more LAN/USB contention issues. It does tend to run quite a bit hotter though, so good quality passive cooling (or better yet active) is necessary.
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 17:03   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Then maybe take a look at the new RPi4 instead of the 3B+. It's faster & more powerful, 64bit, comes with your choice of 1,2 or 4GB of RAM, can run 2 HD monitors simultaneously, and there are no more LAN/USB contention issues. It does tend to run quite a bit hotter though, so good quality passive cooling (or better yet active) is necessary.
Latest firmware update helps with the heat apparently. Though pi 3 b+ is plenty fast enough for me so will stick with that, maybe a 4 for sdr radio to get weather faxes.
Old 06-12-2019, 18:02   #44

Quote:
Latest firmware update helps with the heat apparently.
Some, yes.. before the firmware update, overheating was quite a problem. But even after the update, they still run a fair bit hotter than a Pi3. Extra cooling is still necessary if you're going to give them a workout, otherwise the CPU will throttle back to avoid overheating.
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 18:14   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Some, yes.. before the firmware update, overheating was quite a problem. But even after the update, they still run a fair bit hotter than a Pi3. Extra cooling is still necessary if you're going to give them a workout, otherwise the CPU will throttle back to avoid overheating.
Knocked nearly a watt off at full wack, certainly step in the right direction

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the...aspberry-pi-4/

Tags
enc, nmea, opencpn