Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03   #46

Boat: Wasa 410
Quote:
I personally would love to see a integrated GNUAIS soundcard AIS input feature.
What to have included and not in the software itself will of course be a matter of opinion... so take this for what it is... just my opinion.

In our yacht we have a class B transponder and I kind of like the robustness of a dedicated AIS receiver and also the fact I can actually be seen by others on top on getting the position of other boats.

I think GNUAIS is a nice idea but that it will be comparatively few people that will do the electronic fiddling with an old VHF receiver and connecting it via a sound card. It is a nice idea but a tad to un-robust for my liking.

My vote is to put it low on the include list.

I have not tried GNUAIS but if it can be set to export the data as an NMEA string into OpenCPN then it should be no problem to use OpenCPN as it is.
If GNUAIS can not do that it would, in my opinion, be better to get GNUAIS to do it as a separate application.

It is very much the same as not including virtual instruments in OpenCPN, there are other solutions for that.

What I would like to have included in OpenCPN is configurable NMEA export sentences. I have suggested this earlier. This is needed for several different instrumentation systems to present navigation information on the instruments in the cockpit such as XTE, DTW and BTW. Different autopilots may use different sentences too, I believe.

My two pennies worth...
Jonas
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 22:57   #47

Problems with Debian 5.0, suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Francois 260
Please publish your log file so we can see what's going on with CM93.
Thomas
Hello,
I always try to make walk opencpn with debian. The last versions of libwgtk removed all the errors with starting, any walk. But opencpn still does not open the charts CM93, which however have correct permissions.
I force the rebuilding of the database, Ca does not do anything. I do not find where opencpn puts its error messages.
A council? Thank you.
Francois 260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:27   #48

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
opencpn.org domain expired

I tried to follow the link to Compiling in Ubuntu, but the opencpn.org domain has expired.

I run Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64 rather than i386...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:42   #49

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
You may have a search around, I'm not sure if its been compiled successfully under x64.. Unless you got beyond 4GB of ram, the performance gains on x64 are negligible anyway
Old 09-03-2010, 14:47   #50

Building for Ubuntu 9.10 x86-64

It's been ages since I've done any development for Linux or Unix, so I'm having a bit of a problem building opencpn for my system.

I set the environment variable
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native", then ran ./configure, thenmake.

Here's the output:
Code:
jon@bigmax:~/builds/opencpn-1.3.6$ make
g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"opencpn\" -DVERSION=\"0.1\" -DINSTALL_PREFIX=\"/usr\" -I. -I././include -I././src/nmea0183 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I././src/mygdal -I././src/grib -I././src/grib/bzip2  -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -Wall -g -DocpnUSE_GTK_OPTIMIZE -DUSE_S57 -DUSE_GLU_TESS  -Wall -g -fexceptions -fno-stack-protector -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include   -MT chart1.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/chart1.Tpo -c -o chart1.o `test -f 'src/chart1.cpp' || echo './'`src/chart1.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/sckaddr.h:20,
                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h:24,
                 from ././include/nmea.h:116,
                 from src/chart1.cpp:255:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gsocket.h:40: error: using typedef-name ‘GSocket’ after ‘class’
/usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h:120: error: ‘GSocket’ has a previous declaration here
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gsocket.h:179,
                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/sckaddr.h:20,
                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h:24,
                 from ././include/nmea.h:116,
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/unix/gsockunx.h:40: error: using typedef-name ‘GSocket’ after ‘class’
/usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h:120: error: ‘GSocket’ has a previous declaration here
In file included from ././include/nmea.h:116,
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h: In member function ‘wxSocketError wxSocketBase::LastError() const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h:118: error: ‘struct _GSocket’ has no member named ‘GetError’
In file included from src/chart1.cpp:265:
././include/grib.h: At global scope:
././include/grib.h:83: warning: ‘typedef’ was ignored in this declaration
make: *** [chart1.o] Error 1
Am I missing any required development packages? Or are there errors in the wxwidgets 2.8 library?

Is this the right thread for build question? Or is it just for runtime errors and such under Ubuntu?
Old 09-03-2010, 16:27   #51

Got it working!

All it takes is just a little bit of reading. The fix is here.

Now I just gotta update all my RNC and ENC charts...
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33   #52

Boat: Dufour 35
Beausoleil

This bug was fixed in the CVS source code about 3 weeks after the release of 1.3.6. I assume that you used the 1.3.6 source code when compiling.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 17:54   #53

Re: OpenCPN Linux / Ubuntu Issues and Questions

My wish request is for a BSB4 plugin for Linux
Paradocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:54   #54

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Confirguation/Plug Ins Dont Persist

Just set up OpenCPN on a laptop by installing the Navigatrix package. Running via bootable USB. All works fine...except...every time I reboot the system (normal shutdown/restart), I lose my OpenCPN settings. For example, formerly enabled plug ins disappear from tool bar. They dont disappear if I just stop and restart OpenCPN, but only if I shutdown/restart the full system.

?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:18   #55
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Just set up OpenCPN on a laptop by installing the Navigatrix package. Running via bootable USB. All works fine...except...every time I reboot the system (normal shutdown/restart), I lose my OpenCPN settings. For example, formerly enabled plug ins disappear from tool bar. They dont disappear if I just stop and restart OpenCPN, but only if I shutdown/restart the full system.

?
Did you make sure your home directory gets mounted in a writable mode?
I believe the default is a read-only mount, which would explain the described behaviour.

More technical explanation: in a read-only mode changed files reside in memory only and are not written to the USB media, so on reboot all changes are lost.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:23   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
I believe the default is a read-only mount, which would explain the described behaviour.

More technical explanation: in a read-only mode changed files reside in memory only and are not written to the USB media, so on reboot all changes are lost.
No, just fired it up and used it. Will check.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:00   #57

Quote:

?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post

Quote:
No, just fired it up and used it. Will check.
For future reference:

At least under the Navigatrix configuration running off a bootable USB, changing permissions wont cause settings to be persisted.

There are two options that work.

1. Launch a terminal window and enter a savecfg command. The inconvenience of this is of course that you have to remember to do it anytime you change settings.

2. Create a persistency area. Under Navigatrix you do this by pressing the help key (F1) when prompted on the splash screen during boot up.

Im running off a 16GB bootable USB and set up a 2GB persistency area. Working fine now.
Old 23-01-2018, 03:09   #58

I installed Navigatrix on computer connected Simrad Gps/Ais with a profilic usb to serial converter at 38400b but Opencpn or the Satelite Veiw does not show any data.
No problem on windows. How do I know on which port it is connected /dev/ttyUSB0 or what else or any suggestions to fix this.
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 03:59   #59

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Run the command "dmsg" in a terminal immediately after inserting the device into the usb port. The last few lines should identify the device. For testing, try the "minicom" application. This is a command line terminal emulator which can be configured to display the data output from the device. It will let you test at different baud and other protocol settings which is handy for establishing the correct settings.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 07:14   #60

Boat: First 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Run the command "dmsg" in a terminal immediately after inserting the device into the usb port. The last few lines should identify the device. For testing, try the "minicom" application. This is a command line terminal emulator which can be configured to display the data output from the device. It will let you test at different baud and other protocol settings which is handy for establishing the correct settings.
That is
Code:
dmesg
not dmsg...
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, opencpn, ubuntu