Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40   #16

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN has slowed down. Too many charts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Some changes have been integrated recently that significantly slow me down on the raspberry pi. I think the difference isn't noticed for everyone. For example, SVG support makes it take 17 seconds to start OpenCPN instead of 7, which is ridiculous and slows development. On a different machine the difference might be less than a second.
Well, this one would be simple to resolve by storing cached renderings of the SVGs and redoing them only if UI scale changes... Not on my list ATM though as on my systems the SVG rendering at startup has unmeasurable impact.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:36   #17

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
For example, SVG support makes it take 17 seconds to start OpenCPN instead of 7, which is ridiculous and slows development. On a different machine the difference might be less than a second.
Just as a point of reference, I'm running OpenCPN on a HP ProBook 6470b laptop under Windows 10 and with OpenGL enabled, and OpenCPN starts up in 3.2 seconds. My logfile also reports "OpenCPN Initialized in 1165 ms."

This is entirely reasonable!
Sir_Crabs_A_Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 13:21   #18
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Back to "a lot of charts".
Are you aware that your S-57 charts are getting transformed into the internal OpenCPN SENC format when you touch them the first time? This takes time.
(Look for "prepare all ENCs" at Options|Charts and go for a tea (or beer)).

And in the case of raster if you have the cache enabled, they are processed as well.
Can take a loooong time.

You can test this going back to a region you have used before. Once the chart material prepared, all will be much more swift.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:02   #19

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Are you aware that your S-57 charts are getting transformed into the internal OpenCPN SENC format when you touch them the first time? .....Can take a loooong time.

You can test this going back to a region you have used before. Once the chart material prepared, all will be much more swift.
Yeah, I had already done this. The transform took about a minute and a half. Everythings quick now.

Tags
charts, enc, opencpn