Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2021, 15:28   #1

OpenCPN grib file requests - no answer

Hi everybody, I am here looking for an advice regarding an issue I have with OpenCPN (version 5.2.4+6b314e6) and not receiving any grib file.
I can go through all the process, everything works and the grib file request email are correctly generated. I can send the email, but I never get any answer to them.
Of course I have checked the junk mail folder and the spam folder, no success.
I don't either get any error message stating that my email was not properly sent or forwarded.
I use Windows 7 and Outlook 2007.
I wonder if any of you has experienced this problem, and if there is any solution.
Thanks to everybody!
Patrick
JunkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 00:44   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: OpenCPN grib file requests - no answer

As far as I know the grib request via email is broken since a long time. Even when it will be fixed it is not a great help because you have to extract the by email received grib file to a folder where the OpenCPN plugin can reach it. So it is easier to use zyGrib or XiGrib for downloading the grib file and get it stored into the folder specified to zyGrib or XiGrib.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:51   #3

Thank you CarCode for this info and your advice.
I will now investigate on how to import Zygrib files into OpenCPN, as I am not yet very familiar whith these tools.
Another question I have is how to display cities and areas names on OpenCPN. For now all I can see is coast lines, depths and buoys. But I may have to search a bit more, or open a new topic for that.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkFan View Post
Thank you CarCode for this info and your advice.
I will now investigate on how to import Zygrib files into OpenCPN, as I am not yet very familiar whith these tools.
Another question I have is how to display cities and areas names on OpenCPN. For now all I can see is coast lines, depths and buoys. But I may have to search a bit more, or open a new topic for that.
It is very easy. Once you are using ZyGrib you are telling it where to store the downloaded grib files (the folder at your computer). Creating a new folder and name for that task is the best solution. Going into the grib plugin of OpenCPN you tell the grib plugin to use this folder. The plugin then always takes the newest grib file found in this folder.
OpenCPN has a buildin help manual. You should find any info there. If you are using ENC charts there is also the shortcut "T" to switch the visibility of text on and off.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:25   #5

Boat: Dufour 35

There is nothing wrong with the generated emails to saildocs. It works. Tested a few minutes ago.

@JunkFan
If you don't get an answer from saildocs, there is something wrong with your whole setup. Are you using the correct addresses? Check the mails you sent one more time.
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
There is nothing wrong with the generated emails to saildocs. It works. Tested a few minutes ago.

@JunkFan
If you don't get an answer from saildocs, there is something wrong with your whole setup. Are you using the correct addresses? Check the mails you sent one more time.
As I mentioned before, I have sent multiple requests to saildocs ('query@saildocs.com'). If the emails where not correctly sent, I would have got an error message from my/their mail server, which is not the case.
Maybe a problem because my adress 'patrick@leblanc.pl' could be banned, as not a standard adress like gmail.com or hotmail, etc.?
I'll try with my wife adress, which is more 'conventional'.
I'll let you nknow.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:17   #7

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat

if you send an empty email to gribinfo@saildocs.com you get a reply within seconds and you can see if and how it works

Bart
champ8242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:40   #8

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Used 4.8.8 last night to initiate a GRIB request via Windows 10 and Thunderbird email client.

Outgoing email is to query@saildocs.com subject line=gribauto, body is GFS... (GPS coordinates and other info)

Incoming reply was from query-reply@saildocs.com, subject line= GFS..., body is boilerplate and the GRIB file was attached.

I save the file then call it up in OpenCPN so I can play with the Shipdriver plugin which can 'sail' if it has a GRIB file.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:29   #9

Of course you can do it the hard way with several clicks and moving files. Far easier however to use ZyGrib or XiGrib.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ8242 View Post
if you send an empty email to gribinfo@saildocs.com you get a reply within seconds and you can see if and how it works

Bart
Well I sent an empty email to that adress as suggested, still no answer. Looks like not everybody has the same results, some seem to be more lucky!
Old 08-05-2021, 06:46   #11

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkFan View Post
Well I sent an empty email to that adress as suggested, still no answer. Looks like not everybody has the same results, some seem to be more lucky!
Using Thunderbird I get an answer sending an empty mail to query@saildocs.com, but no response at all if I use Gmail.

Years ago I had some problem with extra spaces added if I used Gmail with the grib plugin. Hence I Changed to Thunderbird and (almost) forgot all about it.
Which mail program are you using?
So as I mentioned earlier....it's worth checking very carefully exactly how the mail you send to saildocs is formatted.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:43   #12

I can verify that OpenCPN generates properly formatted requests to Saildocs under Windows 10 professional and Outlook 365 as well as Linux Mint and Thunderbird.

Are you changing the request in any way from what was generated? Are you including a subject line (does not matter, but it's not supposed to be blank). I have no problem with blank subject lines but officially Saildocs says not to leave it blank.

If the request is not formatted correctly you won't get a reply. I've pasted in one I tested with earlier today. I see from your email address that you may be from Poland. Make sure you are using the "." as a decimal separator not the ",". The GRIB request is a comma separated format so commas where it is expecting decimal points are going to confuse the parser.

send GFS:32N,27N,90W,81W|0.25,0.25|0,3,6..168|=
WIND,PRESS,APCP,TCDC,AIRTMP,HTSGW,WVPER,=
WVDIR,SEATMP,GUST,CAPE
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 14:05   #13

Boat: Phantom 19

Isn't your Outlook set to send the mail in (only) HTML format, which for some bizarre reason Microsoft thought would be a good idea to push as default some time ago? Saildocs obviously requires the mail to be text, without any formatting around it.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Isn't your Outlook set to send the mail in (only) HTML format, which for some bizarre reason Microsoft thought would be a good idea to push as default some time ago? Saildocs obviously requires the mail to be text, without any formatting around it.
Outlook can send HTML, rich text, or plain text formatted mail on a per user basis. I don't remember what the system-wide default for Outlook 2007 was out of the box, but for Outlook 365 it is HTML.
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:03   #15

It works with Thunderbird but not with Outlook. I don't know why, but that is the case. I reported that a long time ago and never got an answer for it. May be this time we will.
Thanks a lot.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, rib