Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2016, 15:27   #1

Boat: Salthouse 33
openCPN/gps problem

I have openCPN V2 installed and charts operating, I have a BU353 installed and operating ie receiving data correctly my problem is my BU353 is not talking to/showing/operating on my charts
My devise manager shows correct drivers and all functioning perfectly.
Have uninstalled and reinstalled both several times but to no avail and driving me mad any suggestions out there please
The gps/openCPN have both functioned perfectly on this computer and OS which is Windows 10. The problem has presented itself after having to reset laptop aall other functions operating perfectly
Living in hope
phil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 16:27   #2

Re: openCPN/gps problem

Start with this Easy GPS Tester - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

It should find the gps puck and then show data streaming. Check which com port is identified. Then select that com port in open cpn. Always use the same USB port.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 20:08   #3

Yes data stream perfect and lat/long shift in data stream with the movement of the vessel just not coming up on charts!!!!!!!
Old 25-04-2016, 02:13   #4

Boat: 10.50 mètres

hello,

What is your OS ? Is it windows 10 ?

If yes, this is not new. With W 10, the more recent driver is not good !

Read this : Family Software Drag Racing - Newsletter#37, Prolific PL-2303 Driver Solution for Code 10

Note that sometime, with an automatic upgrade, W10 change the driver .... and then you have a bad driver.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:53   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Start at the begining I think
GPS Setup and Status | Official OpenCPN Homepage

and Gilly might be right. Just had my opengl drivers updated by Win10, now they don't work.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:05   #6

A month later and still have the same problem on my laptop so purchased a
new 12" Lenovo note pad with Windows 10 OS also new GLONASS GPS.
Installed GPSfunctioning perfectly on GPS info, devise manager showing all good.
Installed openCPN 4.2 and charts.
GPS is not supplying data to openCPN Compass Box right hand top still red and Debug in connections not showing data flow. I cannot also COMPORT into connection/add connections/ the data location area is empty and I cannot add date. This is driving me crazy any thoughts.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:25   #7

Maybe crazy is a good thing. Back to basics. Have you read the instruction manual? Have you read the manual about option settings/connections? There are some people on c&f who have open cpn working in Windows 10. Do a Google search for open cpn Windows 10 and you will see a hit for c&f with discussion about the topic. Send a pm to one of the successful people. One is Bcn.
I noticed in the option settings/connections there is a tick box labelled ignore sentences, check this.

Try contacting the developers.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:32   #8
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

You have stopped GPSinfo or any other program using the puck?

In the Windows device manager when you plug-in the puck, where does it appear?
Without question marks?

As a COM-Port? Which one?

In case that this COM-port is not listed in the selection menu for COM ports, what happens if you type it into the entry: COMn where n is the number you see in the Device manager?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 16:21   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Phil23,
Quote:
Installed GPS functioning perfectly on GPS info, device manager showing all good. Installed openCPN 4.2 and charts.
Lenovo Notepad, Win10, Glonass GPS (-I have not heard of it and do not know it.)

What kind of GPS? USB GPS puck? or Serial Puck with adapter cable to USB?

When you say "GPSinfo" does that mean you are using the program GPSinfo?
GPS tracker, wearable devices Manufacturer – GlobalSat WorldCom Corp.
For example the program "GPSinfo" will allow you to change the settings being used by your Globalsat GPS Puck, change the mode, level of nmea0183 being used, and enable and disable certain features. It will also allow you to change the GPS to an unused Com port. Your GPS probably has a companion CD or download that comes with it which will allow you to change the GPS settings appropriately.

Have you determined exactly which COM port is being used with the USB?
-- You may have by looking in Device Manager for Com Ports and checking that your GPS Device is working properly. Is that what you did? If so, what port is it using? What speed? etc.
What are the settings for the GPS? Speed, etc.

If you are using a serial connection, you must must have the Opencpn Connection settings match the com port, baud rate, parity etc that has been set up in your GPS Manufacturer's software. Normally the baud rate is 4800.

You could also set the connection up with GPSD.

I think you will need to provide more detail to set up the questions you want to ask and take a look at:
GPS Setup | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Connections | Official OpenCPN Homepage
GPS Devices | Official OpenCPN Homepage

If you can be more specific about exactly what you have done, other users may be able to help.

Also here is a search on Windows10 GPS
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rchid=11733457
Read down aways, a lot of this has been covered a number of times.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-164086.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-164431.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lp-164608.html

If you find we are not covering something in the User Documentation about GPS, please advise, as we are trying to make it clear. Thank you..
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 14:11   #10

Boat: Morgan OI 37

I have Open CPN working & navigation using windows 10 with a QSTARZ Q818XT bluetooth antenna, works fine.
However when creating new routes it occasionally freezes when the "use nearby waypoint" dialogue box comes up.
Not sure whether this is a windows 10 issue or something wrong with my system.
BobLoucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 14:47   #11

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoucks View Post
I have Open CPN working & navigation using windows 10 with a QSTARZ Q818XT bluetooth antenna, works fine.
However when creating new routes it occasionally freezes when the "use nearby waypoint" dialogue box comes up.
Not sure whether this is a windows 10 issue or something wrong with my system.
That is not a GPS problem but a problem with OpenCPN. Hopefully it will be solved in next version of OpenCPN.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 20:50   #12

Hi due to having been hospitalized for several weeks I have left this thread alone however am going to have one more try from the beginning then take up scrabble or golf.
My OS is Windows ten in a new Lenovo note book with nothing else loaded but Google Crome, Mozilla.McAfee anti virus and cccleaner.
I have installed a BU-353S4 USB GPS which my devise manager advises is working correctly on nominated comport. On activating the BU353 and going into GPSinfo I have a full stream of data, satellites showing and my position showing correctly
I have loaded opencPN and loaded charts which show in chart window of tools
When I go to connections "nada" no connections to add nor anything rollong in NMEA DEBUG frame
My openCPN is not showing GPS recognition in the top right hand of the frame

What can I do take up golf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29-05-2016, 22:20   #13

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil23 View Post
My OS is Windows ten in a new Lenovo note book with nothing else loaded but Google Crome, Mozilla.McAfee anti virus and cccleaner.
I have installed a BU-353S4 USB GPS which my devise manager advises is working correctly on nominated comport. On activating the BU353 and going into GPSinfo I have a full stream of data, satellites showing and my position showing correctly
I have loaded opencPN and loaded charts which show in chart window of tools
When I go to connections "nada" no connections to add nor anything rollong in NMEA DEBUG frame
Here's how I solved a similar problem. I have a BU-353 that wouldn't work with Windows 8. I took an old laptop that was a real dog with Windows 7, reformatted the hard drive, and installed Ubuntu 14.04 Linux. I installed OpenCPN, added myself to the dialout group, and it was plug and play from there. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but it's better than golf.

Are you saying that with the BU-353S4 connected to the computer, GPSInfo not running, and OpenCPN running you do not see any ports in the drop-down list when you try to add a connection in Settings/Connections (as shown in the attached screenshot)?

When I use my USB-Serial converter it appears as USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3) and when I connect my Garmin GPS72 OpenCPN recognizes it just fine. COM3 shows up in the drop-down list and I have no trouble adding the connection. (I was really surprised that it worked.)

Try a different GPS if you can borrow one. That will help you isolate the problem.

Fabbian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Connections.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	125202  
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil23 View Post
A month later and still have the same problem on my laptop so purchased a
new 12" Lenovo note pad with Windows 10 OS also new GLONASS GPS.
Installed GPSfunctioning perfectly on GPS info, devise manager showing all good.
Installed openCPN 4.2 and charts.
GPS is not supplying data to openCPN Compass Box right hand top still red and Debug in connections not showing data flow. I cannot also COMPORT into connection/add connections/ the data location area is empty and I cannot add date. This is driving me crazy any thoughts.
I am not sure whether this would be of help, but I just tried to instal a Norcom USB GPS and realised that the Bluetooth mouse I was using was interfering with the GPS.

I also read a thread which helped me earlier on an older laptop (both operating Windows10) which advised ensuring that the Checksum box is unticked in the Connections dialog. That helped me on that occasion as I was receiving a signal in the Debug window, but could not see my position accurately.
RustleRoger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn