Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 04:58   #1651

Boat: Feltz, One Off, 40 ft
Re: OpenCPN General

Good thing. It does not happen after removing opencpn.ini and the navobj.xml's. Wish I had tried that before.
wernertoonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:05   #1652

Boat: Feltz, One Off, 40 ft

Thx both! It works okay now. That's good enough. I can continue exploring my options more easily now.
wernertoonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 00:58   #1653

Hello, can someone please advise if I can use/install the NewZealand S-63 charts from https://encservice.linz.govt.nz/ and use on OpenCPN?
I have S-63 user permit (from O-charts) and installed this in OpenCPN. I have registered with https://encservice.linz.govt.nz/ and downloaded the basemap, a permit txt file and a ENC.PMT file from above site but can't seem to get it to work?
I am lost on the OpenCPN settings - S63 Keys and Permits tab.. I have my user permit showing (tests okay) but can't seem to add anything else from the files received?
Brett K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:28   #1654
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Brett,

please open an thread of its own- here it will be got lost.

Did you go through the S-63 manual?
https://o-charts.org/manuals/s63_index.php?lng=en

In order to install you will need the OpenCPN InstallPermit - this one is different from the keys you received from LINZ. The InstallPermit links your system to the chart set. Arequiement to limit the number of systems using the same license. You generate it at your account at the o-charts shop.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:40   #1655

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Great idea. I voted for it.
Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:31   #1656

Boat: BENETEAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
Great idea. I voted for it.
Terry
same for me
Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 16:03   #1657

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

We really need a team of "Volunteer Plugin Testers" using all the different OS systems. Our primary and most basic need is for "Basic Testing", does it crash OpenCPN, does it open and close properly, are the menus working. This would be needed at several points before each release of OpenCPN and at times during the plugin development process.

Please indicate your interest here or under Issues here

https://github.com/OpenCPN/plugins/issues/660

We would like to have one tester for every OS.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 23:54   #1658

Boat: Ron Given Powercat 15m

I admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm at the point of throwing my laptop through the flybridge window !
I have opencpn installed and have used it around NZ, heading to Fiji and beyond soon and would love to continue but cannot get anything but very vague maps.
What am I doing wrong ?
Its great that you are offering a free service/app but why dont you sell maps/downloads/techs to sort this for the hard of thinking (me) ?
LazySunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 01:21   #1659

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazySunday View Post
I admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm at the point of throwing my laptop through the flybridge window !
I have opencpn installed and have used it around NZ, heading to Fiji and beyond soon and would love to continue but cannot get anything but very vague maps.
What am I doing wrong ?
Its great that you are offering a free service/app but why dont you sell maps/downloads/techs to sort this for the hard of thinking (me) ?
Because this app is for free then the maps (charts) should be free too. And they are: Simply use the CM93v2 maps. Its last version is from 2015 but still the water is where the water belongs to and vice versa the land also. Compressed they are about 1.4 Gigabytes great and offers the whole world.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NZ-Fiji.png
Views:	44
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	256230  
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 01:32   #1660

Quote:
What am I doing wrong ?
I'd say first you probably don't have any charts loaded (such as cm93) and for Fiji. (If you download this you will find some in addition to heaps of other things).

Secondly you might find the OpenCPN manual educational.

Thirdly I take umbrage with your question. This IS a free app, the result of thousands of hours effort by a team of dedicated volunteers. It is NOT a money-making effort which is embodied by the open source umbrella.

This forum is to help users with the program. Respect will get you that help.

Terry
Old 19-04-2022, 01:51   #1661

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
I'd say first you probably don't have any charts loaded (such as cm93) and for Fiji. (If you download this you will find some in addition to heaps of other things).

Secondly you might find the OpenCPN manual educational.

Thirdly I take umbrage with your question. This IS a free app, the result of thousands of hours effort by a team of dedicated volunteers. It is NOT a money-making effort which is embodied by the open source umbrella.

This forum is to help users with the program. Respect will get you that help.

Terry
Thankyou very much for the link to CM93 (downloading now).

The openCPN manual (the last time I looked) is for people that understand computers more than I do.

I did not mean to upset/offend anyone and openly admitted that I am not the smartest guy.
With most apps/companies there are free or pro versions, maybe that could be done with openCPN, I'm sure there are others out there like me who would pay for a plug and play version (like I do with the Raymarine system onboard).

And at no point was I disrespectful to anyone but myself.
Old 19-04-2022, 02:44   #1662

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Thankyou very much for the link to CM93 (downloading now).
The openCPN manual (the last time I looked) is for people that understand computers more than I do.
I did not mean to upset/offend anyone and openly admitted that I am not the smartest guy.
With most apps/companies there are free or pro versions, maybe that could be done with openCPN, I'm sure there are others out there like me who would pay for a plug and play version (like I do with the Raymarine system onboard).
And at no point was I disrespectful to anyone but myself.
Although OpenCPN is announced as an App from sailors and dedicated to sailors it is not said what a sailor is in the eyes of the developers. Anyway from their points of view a sailor should be also an expert for computers. Why?
- Because the App is not intuitive
- Because the offered manuals are too complicated for an average sailor
- Because these criticism has been done for several years now without changing anything

- Because all that criticsm has lead over the years only to more complications of the App

BTW Get the 2015 version of CM93. I use it until then together with some selfmade KAP files of marina areas and the such getting from GoogleEarth.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 04:51   #1663

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
What am I doing wrong ?

Read this thread https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3606294
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 14:15   #1664

It turns out I already had CM93 , will continue to use openCPN around NZ and then it looks like it will be just an emergency backup in the islands - oh well.
Old 19-04-2022, 15:35   #1665

Quote:
It turns out I already had CM93 , will continue to use openCPN around NZ and then it looks like it will be just an emergency backup in the islands - oh well.
The link to Terry's Topics, which I think you downloaded, has links to anchorages and companion satellite imagery charts for both New Zealand and Fiji.
Terry