Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2022, 10:32   #1621

Re: OpenCPN General

Am I right in finding that the Voyage Data Recorder plugin does not work anymore when OpenCPN is connected to signalk instead? If so, is there an alternative in OpenCPN or should I resort to SignalK for recording purposes? Thx!
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 10:44   #1622

Boat: Phantom 19

You should use the recording capabilities built into the SignalK server.
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 15:46   #1623

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

This is called feature creep. VDR was never intended to record signalk.
Make a RFE request for enhancement in tracker.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 23:36   #1624

Ironman: One option worth to try is described here: https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-to-nmea0183. This Signal K app generates NMEA 0183 from Signal K and the NMEA 0183 can then be read through port 10110.
/LennartG
LennartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 02:33   #1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
This is called feature creep. VDR was never intended to record signalk.
I understand, and it is not my intention to demand backward compatibility beyond reasonability . I'm just looking for the best way to record my data in a new, signalk based constellation.
Old 30-01-2022, 03:00   #1626

Boat: Najad 34

Ironman..
To just record data in SK take a lock at InfluxDB and the SK plugin "signalk-to-influxdb".
But if the intention is to record data for later "reply" in OCPN it would not be the best method. I've at least not looked into that.

The other method is already mentioned. Use the SK plugin: "Convert Signal K to NMEA0183" and connect OCPN to network TCP address as of the signalk connection but port 10110 instead. Then you can use VDR to record as desired. In the SK plugin you can also select what to transfer and use that OCPN connection for VDR only and keep the signalk connection as is.
Happy playing
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 08:43   #1627

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Ironman..
To just record data in SK take a lock at InfluxDB and the SK plugin "signalk-to-influxdb".
But if the intention is to record data for later "reply" in OCPN it would not be the best method. I've at least not looked into that.

The other method is already mentioned. Use the SK plugin: "Convert Signal K to NMEA0183" and connect OCPN to network TCP address as of the signalk connection but port 10110 instead. Then you can use VDR to record as desired. In the SK plugin you can also select what to transfer and use that OCPN connection for VDR only and keep the signalk connection as is.
Happy playing
Håkan
I second this option. I've never found the signalk connection in OpenCPN to work well for me (I've actually never been able to make it work and haven't cared enough to pursue it), so I've always used the "SignalK-to-nmea0183" plugin and port 10110 (which is bi-directional!). This lets SK do all the translation and, as Håkan points out, you can choose to limit what get's sent. OpenCPN and all the plugins work "normally" this way, including VDR.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:22   #1628

Hey thanks for you guys input. I'm actually a big fan of native signalk - it's such a smarter way to distribute data instead of sending around nmea0183 messages. Since I switched to the native signalk connection in opencpn I never had the inclination to switch back to the old way with kplex - or burden my plotter software with data integration tasks.

In the meantime I have tweaked a copy of that signalk plugin to log straight to a file instead. It's not ready for publishing yet (I still have to hardcode the filename) but I'll post the solution to my problem here in due time.
Old 17-02-2022, 08:41   #1629

I'm new to this forum. Not sure where to ask this. I'm trying to learn opencpn in my living room. Does anyone know of a simulator that can be used with opencpn?
Walito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 09:25   #1630

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 40 Voyagemaker Cutter

See https://chartlocker.brucebalan.com/ Bruce has some how to DIY use Open CPN he is a rock star sailor resource.
DreamCatcher37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 05:43   #1631

Not sure where to post this question. Is there a simulator available for opencpn? I'm stuck on dry land but want to become familiar with the program.
Walito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 05:57   #1632

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walito View Post
Not sure where to post this question. Is there a simulator available for opencpn? I'm stuck on dry land but want to become familiar with the program.
Hi Walito,

Welcome to the forum. But before you get the admins angry please don't double post your questions, OK?

I'm not aware of any simulators but you do raise an interesting point. It would be easy for those underway to use the VDR plugin to record their NMEA inputs and share that recorded data for playback in another person's program.

Let's see if any others respond to this idea and if it seems to have merit would be a candidate for a Flyspray addition.

Safe sailing,

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 00:07   #1633

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walito View Post
Is there a simulator available for opencpn? I'm stuck on dry land but want to become familiar with the program.
Is the ShipDriver plugin what you are looking for?

Or use the JavaScript plugin and run the Driver script available in the scripts library.

With either of these, you can driver your own ship around and even navigate a route
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:51   #1634

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

@bdbcat

Under the Manual "Move a Mark" we state "You can move the mark by left-click-dragging it around."
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...es#move_a_mark

This no longer appears to be true. Is this intentional?

If so this line should be removed.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:04   #1635

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
@bdbcat

Under the Manual "Move a Mark" we state "You can move the mark by left-click-dragging it around."
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...es#move_a_mark

This no longer appears to be true. Is this intentional?

If so this line should be removed.
It is not so clear cut. Some waypoints act as before (you can move them by right click and dragging) while others do not (dragging moves the whole map) and the same is true with left click and dragging.

It is as if the prohibition against dragging unless the properties dialog is open stays in effect even when the properties IS open.

I have not figured out what makes the difference.

I wonder if the marks which cannot be dragged were created under a previous release.