Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2021, 10:16   #1516
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: OpenCPN General

Nah, do not fool around, buy a 10" Tablet and learn how to install linux debian or ubuntu with LXDE and OpenCPN. Costs: around 100 USD for each so buy 3 of them and take 2 as backup. There are watertight cases for 10". Skip the bloody plotters. Every one is genuine with sometimes very strange GUI's to handle. - Skip it.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 10:23   #1517

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Nah, do not fool around, buy a 10" Tablet and learn how to install linux debian or ubuntu with LXDE and OpenCPN. Costs: around 100 USD for each so buy 3 of them and take 2 as backup. There are watertight cases for 10". Skip the bloody plotters. Every one is genuine with sometimes very strange GUI's to handle. - Skip it.
Windows tablet an interesting alternative.

But why not use already installed Win10 and add OpenCPN version for Windows?
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 11:36   #1518

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
But the suggestions above are NOT for a PC at the helm! (Rather, PC down below, and Android up at helm: when not using radar, you run OpenCpn on and Android; when needing radar, run OpenCpn (and VNC Viewer) on PC below with radar plugin and Android at helm running VNC Viewer, which shows OpenCPN and radar.)

Does VNC Connect require ethernet connectivity? A USB-RJ45 adaptor is pretty cheap.
Is the Android then just a radar view station or view and control station?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 14:00   #1519

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
No, I did not read all 100+ pages so it is possible my topic was addressed 80 times already.

Do you know what SEARCH is? Do a search on the wiki, you'd be surprised what you learn, or search the forum. The are both ready to mine for information to answer many of your questions.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 16:50   #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Do you know what SEARCH is? Do a search on the wiki, you'd be surprised what you learn, or search the forum. The are both ready to mine for information to answer many of your questions.

Thank you for your suggestion. Search indeed, it works! That is how I learned no Android radar plugin is available instead of alternatives. My search resulted in a subtle request that one be developed. Even you might benefit from one, just have to keep an open mind.
Old 23-03-2021, 17:21   #1521

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. Search indeed, it works! That is how I learned no Android radar plugin is available instead of alternatives. My search resulted in a subtle request that one be developed. Even you might benefit from one, just have to keep an open mind.

Very glad it worked out. I believe it actually might work with recent android devices, but it does require some computing power.

The effort to compile android is not the same as linux, macos or windows because there are screen and interface issues that need to be worked around. Building android is getting better and easier, but there are other plugins that are logically ahead of radar, but perhaps you can convince the developer to try it.
Old 24-03-2021, 07:09   #1522

GEES!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A GREAT HELPFUL FORUM!!!!

One method or another, I will get a system working. I have a month or so before launch and make my radar purchase. Really looking forward.

THANKS GUYS!!!
Old 24-03-2021, 07:31   #1523

Moving from Samsung Galaxy S4 (Oct 2008) to Samsung Galaxy S51 has improved operation of OpenCPN incredibly. There are much fewer pauses, smoother operations and the GPS which was getting flaky is now rock solid.

Download of charts is very fast, with a big pause as senc files are being rebuilt (be patient). It is so fast now that I think some of the heavier duty plugins will work well if configured for android.

Thinking about the other situation where OpenCPN is bigger on small systems, is there any way to build a lighter version that will run nicely on old rpi and an old android? Perhaps this is too much to ask for and adds too much complexity, but it is a thought. --My old S4 still runs OpenCPN remarkably well, but it does have pauses etc. and I know that rpi users are finding that their little computers are having difficulty.

Or maybe after 12 years its time for all of us to upgrade?
Old 27-03-2021, 15:56   #1524

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

I do not understand the obsession with the radar plugin for android, because I am not aware of any android device with Ethernet connection.
And if the plugin is made exclusively for WiFi radars, I don't think that, at the moment, it is very interesting because there are few installed units of this type of radomes.
For now, I think the most appropriate and general solution is to use VNC, as indicated by sv_pelagia.

The VNC connection between PC and Tablet will be WiFi. Be careful with this, because some PCs do not support simultaneous Ethernet / WiFi connection. It is necessary to resort to the BIOS settings in these cases to enable it. Typically, devices look for a link connected to the Internet. If they cannot find it, by default, they deactivate the connection. (If you connect to WiFi first, the PC will disconnect when it connects to the Ethernet radar, and vice-versa).

J.L.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 16:15   #1525

Boat: Najad 34

re:"The VNC connection between PC and Tablet will be WiFi. Be careful with this, because some PCs do not support simultaneous Ethernet / WiFi connection. It is necessary to resort to the BIOS settings in these cases to enable it. Typically, devices look for a link connected to the Internet. If they cannot find it, by default, they deactivate the connection. (If you connect to WiFi first, the PC will disconnect when it connects to the Ethernet radar, and vice-versa)."

Just for info this I haven't experienced on any of my four Win and two RPi. The wifi and radar scanner does connect fine in parallel. Now is the radar scanner IP connection declared as "Unknown. No Internet"
J.L's note may be if the wired IP found the Internet. Then the wifi is disconnected from the internet I suppose.

I have the radar scanner wired and a wifi router for VNC.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 16:35   #1526

That happened with an inexpensive PC and a friend's Garmin radar. Not with the two PCs that I have.
I just said it, because it can happen, and it's pretty desperate ...

J.L.
Old 27-03-2021, 19:59   #1527

Boat: vessel deliveries, west coast, N.A.

Many aspects of a GPS chip set can be modified. The small disc that comes with many of the units may have some parameter setup software. If you're fortunate enough to have a UBLOX chip set within your unit you can download evaluation software called U-Center... https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/u-center

it allows you to set a bunch of stuff, or at least the last time I used it to eval the IC's for a product design.
captainjim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:36   #1528

Boat: Bavaria 36 Holiday '99

Hello sail lovers!

I need some help, please, regarding the NMEA0183 connection to my raspberry PI4/OpenCPC:

Inspired by the "Sailing Belachandra" video, I decide myself to build my own system based on the above platform. As they have done, so as I, bought two dongles DTech USB/RS485 converters, to "import" the NMEA0183 both from my old Raymarine RC70 plotter, and also from one Raymarine AIS350 receiver.
The problem is that I manage to see the receiving yellow led blinking in the dongle (after several hours of research, realising that I should insert one resistor between the Rx and GND ...!), on both lines, AIS and PLOTTER, but cannot get any of the info on OPENCPN!....
However, if I connect the AIS directly via USB port/cable, I receive the info from it, meaning that it is operating!
Tried, as well, to import the SEATALK1 data (to get Wind, GPS, Odometer, etc), using several of the circuits suggested on GitHub, inserting checking led to confirm the data is arriving, via GPIO and the same!....:-(
Do you, PLEASE, have some hint to help me? What could I be doing wrong, other than save money to buy one "market" already made solution? eheheh!
Regards,
João Teixeira
JTeixeiraPOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:58   #1529

Although it seems paradoxical, for the application you require, a USB-RS232 converter is more compatible than the USB-RS485 that you are using.
I will explain a little why: RS485 has the same signal levels as RS422 (NMEA0183 standard), and it is also a differential bus (S +, S-), but RS485 works in half-duplex, that is, they are sent and they receive data over the same physical line, but at different times. The RS422 uses separate pairs (I +, I- and O +, O-) to transmit and receive data.
RS232 has wider voltage ranges than these two above, but can be seamlessly connected to an RS422, as follows:
RS232 (Output data) --------------> RS422 (IN +)
RS232 (Ground) --------------> RS422 (IN-)
RS232 (Input data) <-------------- RS422 (OUT +)
Not connected --------------- RS422 (OUT-)

To connect the Seatalk, you will need a gateway (translator). There is neither electrical nor data format compatibility.

José Luis
Old 06-04-2021, 05:14   #1530

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjim47 View Post
Many aspects of a GPS chip set can be modified. The small disc that comes with many of the units may have some parameter setup software. If you're fortunate enough to have a UBLOX chip set within your unit you can download evaluation software called U-Center... https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/u-center

it allows you to set a bunch of stuff, or at least the last time I used it to eval the IC's for a product design.
It is true what you say. I use UBLOX M8n in the devices that I manufacture and configure many things. But that does not seem to me to be within the reach of a normal user. Furthermore, I consider it dangerous for him to do so.