Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2020, 09:18   #1441

Re: OpenCPN General

Could we have a copy of it?
Many thanks.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:17   #1442

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
Could we have a copy of it?
Many thanks.
Have a look at this thread:https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3134777
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 14:56   #1443

This does not produce proper rounding. It might be good in Transas but not the one I have. Thanks anyway. A plugins or and addition to the program must be made to make it automatically upon doing the route.
Best regards.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 20:01   #1444

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's a shame that there isn't a plug in to do this. It would be a relatively simple geometry problem, I just don't have the wizardry to program it.
harbourmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 21:40   #1445

Read b4 you buy a pi for gps

Dont buy a raspberry pi if you just want a simple GPS. Its far better to buy a tablet and use free nav software. The pi is great if your like tinkering with electronics and programming. If you just want to sail this will just take time away ftom othet projects. The cost of the pi is cheap but all the hours you put into it extra screen case and keyboard is probably the cost of a tablet. And a tablet is more versatile and other family members will actually know how and want to use a tablet
robobartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 22:57   #1446

P_Dub ...

Rounding has not yet been added to the RTZ files produced by RTZassist.

Thanks for your test with the Transas ECDIS. The first report of a successful import of an RTZ file from the program.

As you have seen from the RTZ schema turns can be incorporated. RTZassist was just a 'proof of concept'. The code can be used as the starting point for a plugin to produce a comprehensive route plan.

Harbourmaster ...
Please can you confirm that the simulator you are using will import RTZ files.

Both ...

Can we take this discussion to a new thread? Let's call it 'RTZ route plugin'.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 19:42   #1447

Hi Team,

Another quick question. Some features like full light sectors are only able to be turned on temporarily by hovering the mouse (cursor) over the charted feature.

This is a massive pain - when working at large scales where the charted feature is out of view of the display but the sectors are in the section being worked on you cannot see the sectors and there is no way to activate them without decreasing the scale.

Would it be possible to include the option to permanently display sectors or not?

Or is that feature already included and I haven't found it?

Ta in advance
Old 19-10-2020, 19:48   #1448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbats View Post
P_Dub ...

Rounding has not yet been added to the RTZ files produced by RTZassist.

Thanks for your test with the Transas ECDIS. The first report of a successful import of an RTZ file from the program.

As you have seen from the RTZ schema turns can be incorporated. RTZassist was just a 'proof of concept'. The code can be used as the starting point for a plugin to produce a comprehensive route plan.

Harbourmaster ...
Please can you confirm that the simulator you are using will import RTZ files.

Both ...

Can we take this discussion to a new thread? Let's call it 'RTZ route plugin'.

Mike

Hi Guys,

I am using a product called SEAiq, run on an iPad in conjunction with a Navicom Dynamics PPU. from the SEAiq website and documentation:
"Simple import of existing routes. Supported formats include GPX, RTU, RT3, RTZ, CSV, Nacos Platinum, and Sam Electronics."

RTZ format routes should be able to be imported..
Old 20-10-2020, 04:54   #1449
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbourmaster View Post
Hi Team,

Another quick question. Some features like full light sectors are only able to be turned on temporarily by hovering the mouse (cursor) over the charted feature.

This is a massive pain - when working at large scales where the charted feature is out of view of the display but the sectors are in the section being worked on you cannot see the sectors and there is no way to activate them without decreasing the scale.

Would it be possible to include the option to permanently display sectors or not?

Or is that feature already included and I haven't found it?

Ta in advance

And if you use the dual canvas/split screen option? With smaller scale for overview in the secondary one?
The other funcionalitity of lights out of sight "shining" on the actual chart is not implemented. I know about one chart provider who implemented this as an "enhancement" of S-57.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 13:30   #1450

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
And if you use the dual canvas/split screen option? With smaller scale for overview in the secondary one?
The other funcionalitity of lights out of sight "shining" on the actual chart is not implemented. I know about one chart provider who implemented this as an "enhancement" of S-57.
Unfortunately, it doesn't cut it.. there is often limited screen real estate as it is without splitting screens. Also, the light I am specifically referring to is actually a sectored lead light demarking channel limits. There should be the ability to have the full sectors displayed on the chart. They don't necessarily need to be coloured in, however, the limits of the arc should be depicted and should extend out on the chart to the nominal range of the light. The idea being that when navigating, a plan is made based on visual terrestrial features and local aids to nav (buoys, beacons and lights) which can then be supported by the navigational aids on board (Open CPN, RADAR). Full depiction or at least the option to display full depiction is important, what if the light is out? or there is restricted vis? or the light is obstructed? (as this specific light often is when visiting cruise ships occupy a particular anchorage) when visually looking for it you wouldn't see it but the chart should tell you at first glance, without having to look for it that there is indeed a light of significance there, and would tell you where you are in relation to the sectors which presumably demark safe and navigable water.

The attached pic is of a sectored light with a range of 15nm. To look at it on the chart at first glance it looks like an all-round light, it has an arbitrary sector displayed to signify that one exists but other than that, the sector is of no use from a navigational aspect when looking at the chart. As soon as the light is off the screen there is no indication that there are any sectors at all and certainly no way of telling where you might be in relation to them.

The second two screenshots are from a different chart display system displaying the same cells from the same provider. The first is of the light depicted at a similar scale to the open CPN shot, the second is of arcs being shown through the anchorage area and approaches where the light is of importance.

Just my two cents.

Waitangi Lead Light.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	Waitangi Lead Light SEAiq.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	225569

Click image for larger version

Name:	Waitangi Sectors anchorage.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	225570
Old 15-11-2020, 11:55   #1451

@harbourmaster

I agree with your opinion about sector-lights.
Contemplating night navigation for example in the archipelagoes of Finland, Norway or Sweden, with their large number of sector-lights, using oeSENC charts (or other vector-charts) exclusively, quickly becomes very awkward.
This is a situation where being able to change to raster-charts for the area, helps.

So let's continue the discussion and prepare to enter a Feature Request in the Tracker.

As a starting point I would like to see these features.

* The ability to make the extended sectors permanent (for the session) by right- clicking and select the option. This needs to be possible for at least two or three lights at the same time.

* Leading Lights (Range lights) should show their extended leading line in a conspicuous fashion. The activation could be similar, to above, by right-clicking on one of the lights. This feature would also help to clarify daytime navigation.

++ ?

Thomas
Old 15-11-2020, 12:00   #1452
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Thomas..

I would suggest to open a thread for this issue.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 13:41   #1453

I Agree Thomas,

Glad I am not on my own here.

The question I am wondering is, I can see the benefit of selecting which lights display full-length sectors to minimise screen clutter and over display of information in some instances. But other than that, would there be a reason to limit the numbers of lights you could display? eg if you wanted them all would there be any reason why it couldn't be done? for example due to processing power or computer memory limitations?

There could be several options, a generic all on or all off like a traditional ECDIS or the ability to select which are on or off (or any combination in between).

The same could be applied regarding the retention of settings. They could be session-specific or it could be a default that could be set for CPN to revert to, or simply individual go on stay on - go off stay off.

The above comes with the disclaimer that I am just a simple sailor with absolutely zilch understanding of what would be required to achieve any of this from a coding (or any other technical) point of view. Any of you wizarding folk practised in the dark art of coding it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Old 17-11-2020, 09:37   #1454

The discussion about sector lights in vector charts continues in this new thread:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3276385
Old 31-12-2020, 14:33   #1455

Boat: Cape George 36' Cutter

Hello,
How do you increase the size, color and location for the tool bar? I know this is a call in the wilderness but how ...
James
James_Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote