Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2015, 16:34   #166

Re: OpenCPN for Android Beta test 4.1.530

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Route UI could be simplified for android.to get rid of the pages that need scrolling down and sideways.
ie:I don't think it needs all that stuff about time,distance and speed or even colour: That's pretty involved planning stuff.
and being tempted into selecting into all the tiny dialogues just makes it difficult for screen real estate....
Is there any reason to list the routepoints? I can't do anything useful with them in the route manager anyways using my blumt spatulates.

Really, what does a route on a tablet need except the means to Activate/deactivate, Delete, or Edit :by means of dragging waypoints or deleting them...and also Extras of "exporting" it and (re)Naming it that could stay in the simplified, now-larger buttoned,larger texted (having lost the fiddly crap) route manager
Possible extras of "appending" I suppose but for myself,really, in action, it's as easy to create a new one that starts near where the old one ended, or starting over.

I can create a route fairly easily on the tablet and it differentiates between me pinch-zooming dragging and laying down a route IF I AM Careful, but I still have the annoying auto-scrolling screen if I place a routepoint near the edge of the screen . ...Or, not annoying; depending on if I see it as a permanent feature I need learn-it's a skill!...

I have a sense that opening a cascade of windows is very difficult to operate on the tablet... while it's great on a laptop. Simplification is the easiest way to reduce the cascades...or give these features a link or a tab in a menu somewhere..?
Obviously, the smaller the screen size the more complaints there'll be regarding scroll bars and wastage of real estate. Would it be possible in the same fashion as selecting features to display in Vector charts, offer users which menu items they want, scroll or not, and other issues raised here?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 18:49   #167
Marine Service Provider

joel383 et al...

Re: "Phantom routepoint storm"...

So, I did finally reproduce the effect.

Root cause:
The first half of this is definitely an Android thing...
1. It happens when you add points to a route, and then the OCPN app is switched out, for whatever reason. Maybe the user takes a phone call, maybe goes to Browser, Facebook, etc, etc. If the system memory gets tight, OA will be killed in the background without having committed the route changes to storage. There will be a navobj.xml.changes file that gets processed on the next restart.

..However..
2. As it happens, the changes file processing has a bug in it in respect to updating a route by adding points. He creates some kind of half-attached invisible waypoint, that later, somehow, becomes visible. A mystery, easily reproduced in linux. Needs fixing.

Pavel, I'm looking at you, here...

Anyway, our solution for OA is clear enough. Android gives us callbacks to tell us when to commit user changes before the app gets killed, and we simply need to listen up and obey the suggestions.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 06:09   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
So. What's the difference between a routepoint and waypoint? In OpenCPN there are waypoints or marks, and the icon shape for each is customizable. Waypoints are used to build routes. Routepoints?

As far as the scrolling is concerned, you can avoid the problem by zooming out far enough to see your departure and destination points. Create a straight line route between them using only two waypoints. Doesn't matter if the line crosses islands, reefs or whole continents. You're going to fix that by dragging, inserting and appending waypoints along and at each end of the route. Simple.

For most people it's not intuitive, so take the opportunity to learn from people who've been using OpenCPN on tablets for years. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this class.
I'll try to explain what I mean [emoji9]. Again: English isn't my native language.
In O, waypoints are now the same as routepoints. However, a waypoint offers me much more then a routepoint. I use them to mark destinations, but also to mark nice anchorpoints, new navigation marks, etc etc. I need a lot of functionality when using waypoints. The way O offers this now.
A routepoint just needs to be added, moved and deleted. As was suggested in an earlier post. All other functionality can be disgarded. The popup menu can then be much smaller. In programming, but also in handling for the unexperienced user, it would seem easier to differentiate between the two.

The autoscroll problem is avoided by zooming. True. It happened when I tried to end the route by tapping the button in the menubar. That might be something other users will do as well.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-P5210 met Tapatalk
Ido Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 18:31   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ido Nap View Post
I'll try to explain what I mean [emoji9]. Again: English isn't my native language.
In O, waypoints are now the same as routepoints. However, a waypoint offers me much more then a routepoint. I use them to mark destinations, but also to mark nice anchorpoints, new navigation marks, etc etc. I need a lot of functionality when using waypoints. The way O offers this now.
Typically, one uses a mark to identify possible anchorages or to record comments away from a route. For example, when hove to I will drop a mark periodically to record my position at a particular time and comment on the conditions... Later on I can connect the marks in order to show my track until conditions improved and I continued the voyage.

Waypoints are used to construct routes. A waypoint's icon may be changed if, for example, your route terminates at the point where you plan to anchor. The difference is whether not there is a connection to the route, which is going to be a waypoint...

Quote:
A routepoint just needs to be added, moved and deleted. As was suggested in an earlier post. All other functionality can be disgarded. The popup menu can then be much smaller. In programming, but also in handling for the unexperienced user, it would seem easier to differentiate between the two.
So, what about the marks menu?

Quote:
The autoscroll problem is avoided by zooming. True. It happened when I tried to end the route by tapping the button in the menubar. That might be something other users will do as well.
'

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-P5210 met Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Old 23-06-2015, 18:47   #170

Boat: a sailing boat

A question to users with Samsung devices:

When you use internal GPS, how does Android OpenCPN treat Glonass and Beidou data?

I am asking because our Samsung phone cannot handle AOCPN but I tethered Glonass and Beidou data via wifi to a PC running OpnenCPN and I think there it was used for positioning.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 22:28   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Typically, one uses a mark to identify possible anchorages or to record comments away from a route. For example, when hove to I will drop a mark periodically to record my position at a particular time and comment on the conditions... Later on I can connect the marks in order to show my track until conditions improved and I continued the voyage.

Waypoints are used to construct routes. A waypoint's icon may be changed if, for example, your route terminates at the point where you plan to anchor. The difference is whether not there is a connection to the route, which is going to be a waypoint...

So, what about the marks menu?

'

[/QUOTE]
Ok. But when I drop a mark, it then behaves as a waypoint. When I move it, and I longtap on the screen, O asks me if I want to 'undo move waypoint'. The same when I move a point in a route. And when I detach a point from a route, it becomes a waypoint.

Ido Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 07:25   #172

Quote:
Ok. But when I drop a mark, it then behaves as a waypoint.
Not so, unless it is attached to a route. Marks are ignored when a route is activated, and your ownship will move from waypoint to waypoint. Waypoints and marks can be made to look alike, but are used differently. However, an existing mark can be used as a waypoint when creating a route by answering yes to the popup that asks if you want to include a nearby mark...

Quote:
When I move it, and I longtap on the screen, O asks me if I want to 'undo move waypoint'. The same when I move a point in a route. And when I detach a point from a route, it becomes a waypoint.
But, the detached waypoint is no longer part of the route and your ownship ignores the detached waypoint once the route is activated... Your choice to delete or simply detach the waypoint will depend upon whether or not it serves some remaining purpose.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-P5210 met Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Old 24-06-2015, 17:57   #173

Boat: Catalina 320

Is there an iPhone or iPad version on the horizon?

Keep up the good work on OpenCPN - we used it as a backup and planning solution for 3 years on a 25,000 NM journey. So much bang for your buck!
Old 25-06-2015, 00:40   #174

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef View Post
The operating system of iPhone and iPad is iOS which is not sufficient supported by the graphic libraries wxWidgets. These libraries are needed for OpenCPN. So it is impossible to distribute OpenCPN via the Apple App Store and an iOS device must be jailbreaked to install such an app.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 01:04   #175

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef View Post
As mentioned before, it is already possible to build for iOS using wxQT, so maybe it already works, but there are reasons why it isn't so:

1. You need a mac running osx to develop for iOS, for this reason most people cannot even attempt it.
2. OpenCPN now has a lot of special support added specific to android, so some specific support like this would likely need to be added to iOS as well to get an acceptable interface, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult, and not all of the features are required for it to be usable.
3. Something about the apple store not allowing GPL applications?? not sure of this one

So... can you somehow root your ipad and run linux? Or can you somehow run android applications on the ipad? Both options are probably easier.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 07:55   #176

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

(...) Or can you somehow run android applications on the ipad? Both options are probably easier.
E.g. is there any way to run it in any of the many virtual machines?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:24   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
E.g. is there any way to run it in any of the many virtual machines?

b.
5 years ago I have tried to run OpenCPN with iOS devices and VPN, see here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post576174

Until up to now that is still the only way. Android and iOS are quite different and there is no way to compile OpenCPN for iOS as it was done for Android. Anyone who knows better might tell me how.

Gerhard
Old 25-06-2015, 09:07   #178

About the status of wxWidgets for Apple hardware:

The last statement 2 month ago about iOS at wxWidgets: Cross-Platform GUI Library :
The iOS port is in pre-alpha stage and hasn't seen any progress in 4 years.

Even the Mac OS X port has still 388 bugs right now with no progress because there is no developer.

So the only way is to write new code of OpenCPN without using wxWidgets and using probably Objective-C or better Swift as programing language but not C or C++.

Gerhard
Old 25-06-2015, 11:05   #179
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Gerhard,

how do you feel about this:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn771552.aspx ?
(Cross compiling from Visual Studio 2013 with target iOS)
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 11:27   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Gerhard,

how do you feel about this:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn771552.aspx ?
(Cross compiling from Visual Studio 2013 with target iOS)
Hubert,
yes fine, but it doesn't help with the wxWidgets problem for iOS.
Gerhard

Tags
enc, opencpn