Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2016, 08:37   #61

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN Dokuwiki - Comments

That's great. It looks much better, no page icons. Also cleaning up all the footers down to lasst plugin is a lot. Awesome! Did you leave a note in Summary of Progress?

Thank you!
I have a few plugin writeups to update. One from Thomas for Tactics, and I need to get the new xml files for Weatherfax out there.

We need User Authors for Plugins to get motivated and update all the plugins and make new writeups for several as this section is somewhat old now..

I still have User Manual --> Advanced to do.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 08:52   #62

Boat: Gemini 3200

I have not reviewed all the pages in the User Manual for missing pages. I copied all the pages under TOOLBAR Buttons/Plugins as I worked through that section. I went back and copied the pages I found missing under TOOLBAR Buttons/Route and Mark Manager. I have not yet looked at the remaining pages. Until each page is examined for links to child pages it's impossible to estimate the size of the job. For example, there are just 14 pages under TOOLBAR Buttons/Plugins (not counting child pages) but there turned out to be 48 pages in total (not counting the blank pages I added for sorting).

Some of those pages were quite long. It takes a lot longer to migrate a long page than a short one because there are so many embedded links to examine. Another factor that adds to the time required to migrate a long page is that as I read through it looking for links that need to be fixed I find issues of style, grammar, and content that also need attention.

The most common style issues are (1) superfluous codes inserted by the CKG Editor, (2) multiple types of emphasis, and (3) erratic spacing. All the "\\" pairs make the code harder to read so I try to clean up the line spacing. If text is marked as bold it's not necessary to also mark it italic and underlined. It's not necessary to mark links at all, as Dokuwiki renders them in green.

By far the most common grammar error is failure to have subject and verb agree. A singular subject requires a singular verb.

Those things are easy to fix, requiring almost no thought, but they take time. It seems a shame not to fix them while the page is open. It would require a lot more effort for someone else to review and edit the same pages.

I seldom make changes for content, but once in a while I come across a passage that just doesn't make sense. If it's about a feature I'm familiar with I revise it to try to make it more clear. Especially when a programmer tries to document his own work there is a chance some explanation a new user finds essential is missing because the programmer is so familiar with the code's behavior it doesn't occur to him to mention it.

By no means does the editing I have done guarantee a "finished" page, but I hope it improves readability at a small cost in additional time.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 09:07   #63

Quote:
I went back and copied the pages I found missing under TOOLBAR Buttons/Route and Mark Manager.
Was not aware of these, thanks. Yes some are very long and I don't want to get the formatting screwed up.. lot of time spent. Still not perfect though.

Quote:
Another factor that adds to the time required to migrate a long page is that as I read through it looking for links that need to be fixed I find issues of style, grammar, and content that also need attention.
Great

Quote:
The most common style issues are (1) superfluous codes inserted by the CKG Editor, (2) multiple types of emphasis, and (3) erratic spacing. All the "\\" pairs make the code harder to read so I try to clean up the line spacing. If text is marked as bold it's not necessary to also mark it italic and underlined. It's not necessary to mark links at all, as Dokuwiki renders them in green.
Agreed!! For awhile I was thinking we should keep the \\ but it does confuse and I would much rather use line separation, and the Dokuwiki writeups actually favor line separations and not using \\ as much.
CKG Editor tends to screw pages up with \\ and compacting, but I understand this may be more a factor that the Druple page was not properly formatted!! Even though, I might turn it off when we get everything migrated. Your thoughts?

Quote:
By far the most common grammar error is failure to have subject and verb agree. A singular subject requires a singular verb.
I'll keep an eye out. Improvements in meaning and content are great.

I found these two pages through only a link ! they were lost.
http://tgp-architects.com/dokuwiki/d...layers_library
http://tgp-architects.com/dokuwiki/d...res:user_icons
put them under advanced.

KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED FOR LOST PAGES as links.
Old 19-12-2016, 18:34   #64

Download Links and Files (how to address)

Have recreated the MEDIA folder opencpn:files which is for Linked Downloads.
Use a media bracket {{opencpn:files:filename.doc|Download Filename.doc}}

Editors should be able to upload files <2mb to this Media directory opencpn:files.

There are download links sprinkled throughout the pages.
Save the file and upload here. Then make your links in the text.

If the files are bigger than 2mb please advise. I am not going to upload the High Res GSSHS Outline, its too big for my server. Sorry.
Old 20-12-2016, 04:58   #65

Trying to download a file (beautify.png) from the opencpn website:

For Uncrustify**users there is an uncrustify.cfg available at http://opencpn.org/ocpn/sites/defaul...y/beautify.png (Use Save As… for this file, it is a text file disguised as an image. Should be named “beautify.cfg”)

A broken link.

Does anyone have a copy they could post here to assist in editing?

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 02:04   #66

Bdbcat sent me via dropbox a gz with about 340mb of "files" from the "file" directory of the website.
Might it be there?

Rick
Old 23-12-2016, 20:21   #67

There has been a lot done recently. I've seen Fabbian, Mike and others working on the Owiki and Percent Completion is listed as
85% for Opencpn User Manual
90% for Supplementary Hardware and Software, and Developer Manual
These Books are showing great progress. Thank you Editors!!

We will need help from users who install various OS to review the instructions.
We also need lots of help from users to update the plugin documentation and improve it. A number of plugins need rewrite ups too.
Old 27-12-2016, 06:48   #68

Boat: Gemini 3200

Rick, there are four tasks you've flagged as in need of download files. The only files Dokuwiki allows uploading with the Media Manager are AV files. I suppose we could do what we do with Cruisers Forum and fool the system by renaming the files with a PNG extension, but might it be better to use external links to those files? Is there a site than can host them?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 00:01   #69

Fabbian, the media manager supports all mime types. See editor's section, list is long. It does not accept TXT or HTML as those are security risks. It does accept DOC. So rename to doc.

I have made media - opencpn:files for downloads.
We have these sub folders:
opencpn:files:icons.
opencpn:files:layers.
opencpn:files:charts.
opencpn:files: and one other

Tonight I started upload. The charts alone are 405mb! and this includes the pilot charts which climatology does in less than 2 mb.
Old 28-12-2016, 00:02   #70

Check out the mime file page for media manager.
Old 28-12-2016, 05:10   #71

Fabbian I believe there is a 2mb limit on file size for upload. It might be changeable.
There is no message if you try a ****** file I think.
Old 28-12-2016, 14:17   #72

Over 95% Complete! Thank you.

All four Owiki Books are at or above 95% complete IMHO.
There is still and need for vigilant link checking, format and spelling checks throughout the wiki.

I have moved the Editor's section and consolidated it somewhat. Over time this will improve. Please note
Edit User Manual
Summary of Progress
Media Manager Added today.
Upload Files Added today, please note the destination for these download link files!
Upload Screenshots Added today, please note the destination for these image files!

Also, a word of caution, try not to use the CKG Editor after the page has been migrated. I am starting to believe it is much much better to do the middle and final editing in DW Editor because switching back and forth changes and screws up careful DW Editor formatting. At least that is my experience.

I am trying to take out as many of the \\ line breaks as is possible and use a double space, because that is better form.

We are making good progress and with some effort we should be ready for the new website in January. Keep up the good work! Thanks to you all!

It's not too late to help! We need sharp eyed editors with good attention to details. PM me and Register!

Thanks again. Rick

-----------------------
We need new Plugin Editors to help update and write new Plugin documentation.
Get the picture here: Plugins [Opencpn]
Plugins such as weatherfix, weather_routing, BR24 Radar, Logbook, IAC Fleet, Tactics, all need some attention. This work is not considered a part of the the work being done by the migration team. They have more than enough to do!
Old 29-12-2016, 15:51   #73

Editors Thankyou. Just 4% to final completion of Owiki

Thank you Editors!
The dokuwiki is about 96% complete. The majority of files have been downloaded. We need to:
  1. Edit using only the DW Editor (CKG Editor is used only for migration). Check all links (media, internal links and external links) and repair, if there is a problem.
  2. Find missing pages & links by comparing with the old wiki, or following links. - Robert G. [J36m8] recently found two pages I missed! I am sure there are some others.
  3. Editor/managers have rights to download and upload files. Take a moment to understand what directory should be used!
  4. Read & correct text carefully for comprehension, grammar, clarity and brevity.
I've added and augmented some pages in the Editor's Section, which may be helpful. They include some nice tricks I've learned.

Two Editors
Learn about the uses for the two editors. CKG Edit to migrate HTML to dokuwiki. Native DW Edit to edit the page after it has been "Saved".

Recent Changes
Which covers Recent Changes, Old Revisions for Individual Pages, Attic to restore deleted pages.
I really like "Old Revisions" because it shows each time you "Saved" the page. So remember to save often as you edit.

Create New Page
There are two ways of doing it, use the Browser URL or create a new link in a page.

Media Manager
Which shows what Book directory is used for any "Screenshots" or "Image files", with a link to "Upload Screenshots" with more detail.
The second type of "file" intended as a "Download Link" is to be placed under "opencpn:files" and there is a link to "Upload Files" with more detail.
-------------------------

Bdbcat will advise us all when he is transferring the wiki to the new website, so we can pause our editing and review. Meanwhile let's see if we can get the wiki to 100%!

Thank you all for your efforts. This could not have been done without your help... User/Editors helping other Users. One of the reasons this is a unique community.

Happy New Year! Rick.

PS: It's not too late to help! (PM me!)
Old 01-01-2017, 09:00   #74

Editors please close your Editing until further notice.

Editors, Happy New Year.
Please pause and close your editing, as Dave is transferring Owiki.
We have sent an email to you all with more details.
Take a break and celebrate New Years!!
We will advise with more details later.

Thanks for all your help.

PS: Any Users with interest and editing skills is encouraged and welcome to help. This is a continuing process and there are sections of the wiki that need to be updated to the current version and we need help with Plugin Documentation badly!! Just PM rgleason.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:54   #75

Note to Editors / Managers - Owiki on hold

Dear Editors / Managers

We have changed you all back to "User" status, to lock out further Editing of the the OpenCPN Dokuwiki on tgp-architects.com website.

Bdbcat has now transferred the Wiki to local machines, and we do not want version divergence. Bdbcat will advise when the new Owiki is ready for public use and when you can continue your efforts as editors. At such time, you will then be changed back to "Editor / Management" status, and we hope you will be able to continue to help!

Thank you.
Rick Gleason

Tags
enc, men, opencpn