Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2016, 09:28   #46
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: OpenCPN Dokuwiki - Comments

Rick, Fabbian ...

in the next week we will need to make some changes to the S-63 part of the manual and to add a chapter in the charts section.

Shall we just edit the actual manual or what is the most efficient way in order not to make your life overly complicated?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 11:51   #47

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Admin Group

Fabbian, I put you back as Admin, and also Mike R. as admin. We need some guys that can do most everything, I think. But be a little ginger with this ability. If you have a question about things, just ask.

One small but important suggestion as Admin - When changing settings in the Config mode, make sure you hit "SAVE" or the Browser Back button to not save. Don't hit "Admin" again. That's what messed up the CSS format for me. SAVE is at the very bottom of the page! I had a big mess up by hitting Admin to go back after reviewing some settings! so just hit the Browser button, (or SAVE at the bottom) but not Admin a second time.

Rick
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 12:05   #48

Quote:
The old user manual pages have three links at the bottom: Table of Contents, previous page, and next page. The previous and next page links were supplied automatically by Drupal. I have been manually coding those three links at the bottom of each page I edited.

I noticed you put a mini-TOC at the bottom of your pages. At the bottom of the Route and Mark Manager page you have a link to the same page. How have you chosen the links you put at the bottom of each page?

As pages are edited in the future the previous and next links may have to be updated (if someone inserts a new page in the manual, for example). Since we have the table of contents on the left do we need any of those links at the bottom of each page? The Table of Contents link leads to a page that duplicates the information in the sidebar. The previous and next page links make it easier to page through the manual if you're reading it like a book, but it's just as easy to follow the sidebar links to the next or previous page (except it sometimes requires the reader to scroll up to find the current part of the TOC).

What do you think about eliminating those bottom of page links?
Fabbian, did I reply to this post in email? .. or was it Mike's email? Anyway I think these are good points.
1. I don't want to have to edit all pages to update next and back!
2. Let's just use the Left Nav TOC! and eliminate the Table of Contents link. Much simpler.
3. So what do we do about the little Opencpn logo.png Icon? Leave it?
4. For Next & Back there is probably some Dokuwiki Plugin we could add if really needed, but lets keep it simple.

What do we do with the logo.png that was at the end?
Keep it for end of page? Do we want page numbers or is that for printing? (don't even have a clue how to do that yet).

Quote:
I noticed you put a mini-TOC at the bottom of your pages. At the bottom of the Route and Mark Manager page you have a link to the same page. How have you chosen the links you put at the bottom of each page?
Yes, I did that on a couple of pages, because I found some links down there, which I think link to some really related pages/topics. On one page I added some links and one of them may not make sense.

Fabbian, Fix those links (delete, or whatever) as you see fit. Also if you could revise the Footer in the Migration Page, to what you think we should be using I will use that from now on. I will have a number of pages to update too.

Thanks for keeping us on track with these standards.
Old 15-12-2016, 12:10   #49

Quote:
Rick, Fabbian ...
in the next week we will need to make some changes to the S-63 part of the manual and to add a chapter in the charts section.
Shall we just edit the actual manual or what is the most efficient way in order not to make your life overly complicated?
HuberT
Hubert,
I think this is your choice. I can send you a PW to oWiki so you can update pages there, or you can update in old Druple and tell us exactly what pages.
I think it would be great if you were editing in Doku, but if that is an overload, I completely understand. In any event, since I have your email, I am going to send you a PW so you can try it and hopefully use it in the future!
Let us know what you do.
Best
Rick
Old 15-12-2016, 13:05   #50

Mike R. asked
Another question(s):

Quote:
1. Do we use "Go to Table Of Contents", as written in the User Manual (bottom of page) for the bottom of the Developer Manual pages?
2. Is this instead of links to preceding/following pages?
3. Also ... do you have an "Export" folder to put the "print friendly pages" or will these be discontinued?
Mike did ask some similar good questions.
1. Each "Book" should have a separate TOC developed by Indexmenu Plugin directly from the file structure. (Indexmenu uses the file structure, pages and namespaces, then we have a parameter that substitutes the page/namespace first "Title" in the page in lieu of the actual ending file name.
2. Footer: We are eliminating the next & preceding pages. Also we are eliminating the TOC in the footer as it is the left nav TOC.
3. Export Folder to put printer friendly pages... I think this is something from the old Drupal 6 website which is at end of life. (I never used it so I am a little unfamiliar.) If needed we can look into doing something, but right now, I don't think we have anything.

Re the Footer: Fabbian is going to edit this I hope and we should use that for the bottom of the pages. As it is turning out, the footer may very well be the same for all 4"Books". Perhaps just an Opencpn Icon?
Old 15-12-2016, 13:16   #51

Fabbian
I changed the footer as discussed here
Leaving the little Icon for the footer. Is that needed or do we just delete or not have a footer? Leave a note on this page when the footer code is finalized. Thanks.
Old 15-12-2016, 19:52   #52

Volunteers are stepping up - Won't you become an Editor?

There are 3 new pages to help you get started.
  1. Edit User Manual Register and get started.
  2. Summary of Progress Get an new website sooner, join us!
  3. Migration Process How to do it, Step by Step
Users won't you contribute some of your time for a better OpenCPN?
This is a unique community with great cooperation and this is a great way to help
improve your manual.
We would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Old 18-12-2016, 09:41   #53

This last night late and this morning. After some reconfiguration of backups, reboot, and removal of old backup files, the server now has 35% free of 30 gb. The backups are as follows:
Websites individually Full montly backup to ---> Amazon S3 deleted in 6 months.
Websites individually Full weekly backup to ---> Amazon S3 deleted in 1 month.
Websites individually Incremental backup to ---> Amazon S3 deleted in 2 weeks.
Tgp-Dokuwiki-Full weekly to Server backup directory. 7 day delete. Uses Webmin.
Tgp-Dokuwiki-Full daily to Server backup directory. 6 day delete. Uses Webmin.

The Webmin Backup does not seem to have the same abilities as Virtualmin Backup to link to Amazon S3. I may need to use the Webmin backups as a script and create a new separate Virtualmin backup using that script to send it to Amazon S3.

I will work on that later. The two new Amazon S3 Containers are ready for use.
The weekly will be deleted after 4 weeks and the the daily after 6 days.

I'd like to have the daily as incremental, but Webmin Backup does not seem to have that ability.

If anyone has some useful suggestions, they are welcome.

PS: Last night I did a full backup and downloaded it to my laptop, too.
Old 18-12-2016, 12:45   #54

Owiki Backup to S3

Used Virtualmin Backup
Select one domain tgp-arch
Under Features to backup
Select only those Features and settings selected below
Uncheck everything except Server's home directory and web pages.
and Include home pages.
Under files to exclude:
/.backup /.ssh /.usermin /awstats /cgi-bin /domains /etc /fcgi-bin /homes /logs /Maildir /tmp /public_html /awstats-icon /public_html/awstatsicons /public_html/contact /public_html/files /public_html/hillsboro-survey /public_html/icon /public_html/snowice-114com-2015 /public_html/stats

Actually, now it is:
Websites individually Full monthly backup --> S3 deleted in 126 days.
Websites individually Full weekly backup ---> S3 deleted in 36 days
Websites individually Incremental backup---> S3 deleted in 15 days.
Owiki-tgp-Full weekly backup --> S3 deleted 36 days.
Owiki-tgp-Incremental backup --> S3 deleted 7 days.

The files appeared in S3 bucket / containers.
I may reduce the local backup later.
Old 18-12-2016, 13:03   #55

Note, the Server Backs up between 11:30 pm and 1:00 pm PST Please try to be off the Owiki during that time, as the backup will have in it the unsaved page that is opened by a user. Of course the next backup will have those changes. I will try to tighten the backup to between 12:30 midnight -13:00 PST in the next couple of days.
Old 19-12-2016, 00:55   #56

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: Admin Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Fabbian, I put you back as Admin, and also Mike R. as admin. We need some guys that can do most everything, I think. But be a little ginger with this ability. If you have a question about things, just ask.

One small but important suggestion as Admin - When changing settings in the Config mode, make sure you hit "SAVE" or the Browser Back button to not save. Don't hit "Admin" again. That's what messed up the CSS format for me. SAVE is at the very bottom of the page! I had a big mess up by hitting Admin to go back after reviewing some settings! so just hit the Browser button, (or SAVE at the bottom) but not Admin a second time.

Rick
Thanks. I'll be very careful.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 01:03   #57

Quote:
Hubert,
I think this is your choice. I can send you a PW to oWiki so you can update pages there, or you can update in old Druple and tell us exactly what pages.
I think it would be great if you were editing in Doku, but if that is an overload, I completely understand. In any event, since I have your email, I am going to send you a PW so you can try it and hopefully use it in the future!
Let us know what you do.
Best
Rick
Hubert, I agree with Rick that you can go either way. If you find it simpler to edit the old (Drupal) manual pages just let one of us know which pages need to be migrated again.

There are two problems with editing the Dokuwiki pages. First, users won't see the revisions until the migration is complete and the new manual is published. Second, you have to learn a new markup language to edit Dokuwiki pages. The learning curve isn't steep, but it's there.

Fabbian
Old 19-12-2016, 01:41   #58

Quote:
Fabbian
I changed the footer as discussed here
Leaving the little Icon for the footer. Is that needed or do we just delete or not have a footer? Leave a note on this page when the footer code is finalized. Thanks.
I've thought about this a little. I think it would make life simpler if we don't have a footer. It's too cumbersome to maintain the "previous" and "next" page links and the little icon is just one more thing we have to rely on people to include for consistency of formatting. It doesn't really do anything, so why not eliminate it.

I didn't find any mention of footers on the page your link points to. I added a paragraph explaining how to delete those links from the Dokuwiki page. I hope that will suffice.

Fabbian
Old 19-12-2016, 07:08   #59

Fabbian,
I agree. I changed #9 in this page Migration Page
I found the Edit User Manual page
was messed up in several spots. It might have been me, but please Do Not Edit this page in CKG Editor. Because it is trying to show users stuff it is especially touchy. I found references to "_GESHI_" and lots of underlining and had a difficult time.. All better now.
Old 19-12-2016, 08:11   #60

Quote:
Fabbian,
I agree. I changed #9 in this page Migration Page
I found the Edit User Manual page
was messed up in several spots. It might have been me, but please Do Not Edit this page in CKG Editor. Because it is trying to show users stuff it is especially touchy. I found references to "_GESHI_" and lots of underlining and had a difficult time.. All better now.
I may have messed up the Edit User Manual Page. I used the CKG Editor to paste the code at the bottom showing what the footer links in the Drupal manual look like. Sorry if that's what messed up the page. I normally do all my editing with DW Edit because I don't trust the CKG Editor to do the right thing.

I revised all the pages from "Getting Started" through the last plugin page "Calculator" to (1) remove the footer code and (2) add blank pages. You'll notice the TOC no longer has page icons anywhere in that region. They've been replaced by dots. A page that has multiple child pages shows a plus sign, as before.

Fabbian

Tags
enc, men, opencpn