Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 11:24   #1

Boat: Sessa Oyster18 Mercury 90hp Carb
OpenCPN Data Very Small and Difficult to View - Help, Please

Sorry for my bad English.
There is the possibility of position statements of gps and speed (knots) be larger, this is very small and difficult to view?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:30   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
This is a bit of a classic request..

O plano agora é de ter o maximo espacio possível para as mapas, como muitas pessoas já tem instrumentas grandes do gps para ver a velocidade etc. As vezes voce quer tentar os instrumentação virtual do polar navy enquanto nos estamos resolvendo isto.

How was that?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:38   #3

Thanks for the brief answer.
It is true that if you want to get a better view of the cards, but other information is also useful.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45   #4

It's just the current consensus, although as I said this is a common request. Particularly with the small netbook or waterproof monitors people are using, vertical screen space is at a premium and people usually have an array of instruments to display gps / log data. Try the software I linked above to complement opencpn.

It may become configurable one day.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
This is a bit of a classic request..

O plano agora é de ter o maximo espacio possível para as mapas, como muitas pessoas já tem instrumentas grandes do gps para ver a velocidade etc. As vezes voce quer tentar os instrumentação virtual do polar navy enquanto nos estamos resolvendo isto.

How was that?
Hello again,
The PolarCom is a good solution, but conflicts with the USB GPS, when connected with the polarcom, opencpn off.
Is there any way to solve this?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:59   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algarve View Post
Hello again,
The PolarCom is a good solution, but conflicts with the USB GPS, when connected with the polarcom, opencpn off.
Is there any way to solve this?
This may be a feature request for OpenCPN? It should not be too difficult to make OpenCPN read from a socket (TCP or UDP) rather than use serial port, at least on the Unix side (and Windows ain't all that bad either). If it had that - PolarCOM, being an NMEA multiplexor, would be glad to forward data to the next application. In fact, you could run multiple applications off of the same PolarCOM.

Alternatively, you could use some sort of "virtual serial port" splitter - there are quite a few out there. For example, take a look at this: LPC Computer Consulting - Linux

The first solution would be much better integrated, of course.
brak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04   #7

brak, you can do that with gpsd on linux, I think Algarve is on win so it would have to be a virtual multiplexer I guess..
Old 11-03-2010, 13:44   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I get asked about PolarCOM and gpsd interoperability quite often. I looked into it and, surprisingly, gpsd does not seem to work that way. It can read NMEA0183 from serial port and output data in it's own (json based) protocol over a network connection. It can read data over network connection, but not in NMEA0183 format - instead it is using a protocol I am not familiar with. Bottom line - there is no multiplexor ability in it, at least not that I could find. I'd be glad to be wrong.

Windows is, as it happens, even easier in this regard - there are quite a few serial port multiplexor/virtual serial port products out there, I know of a number of users successfully working with those. A quick search on Google brings up all the relevant info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
brak, you can do that with gpsd on linux, I think Algarve is on win so it would have to be a virtual multiplexer I guess..
Old 11-03-2010, 15:34   #9

Don't know anything about polar navy, but IMHO, gpsd is specifically designed for providing gps data to multiple clients via a tcp/ip port. You should be able to listen to this port by various clients. It works beautifully on my machine (Puppy linux/ ubuntu). No need for virtual port splitters or whatever.
Gpsd can even pipe its output as NMEA sentences (see gpspipe -r) to stdout which then in turn could be piped to whatever device you want to...

Cheers, Christian
zenfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 16:10   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenfunk View Post
Don't know anything about polar navy, but IMHO, gpsd is specifically designed for providing gps data to multiple clients via a tcp/ip port. You should be able to listen to this port by various clients. It works beautifully on my machine (Puppy linux/ ubuntu). No need for virtual port splitters or whatever.
Gpsd can even pipe its output as NMEA sentences (see gpspipe -r) to stdout which then in turn could be piped to whatever device you want to...

Cheers, Christian
GPSD distributes data to other programs using it's very own protocol. This is fine for programs that decide to support that particular protocol - not so good for those that do not.

I take that back - I looked at OpenCPN code and it appears that it does talk to gpsd and, whats more - it seems to expect NMEA data from gpsd (I didn't read the code in depth, so this is from a 30 second skim over).

Well, then I'd be very grateful to anyone who can explain what needs to be done/configured/etc to get actual NMEA sentences from gpsd.
Old 11-03-2010, 19:46   #11

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Well, then I'd be very grateful to anyone who can explain what needs to be done/configured/etc to get actual NMEA sentences from gpsd.
See "raw" mode in the gpsd manpage... But basically gpsd is just the daemon process, and to do anything useful with it, it's expected a client will be used... One of the test programs (like cgps) should be enough to dump the data for test purposes - what are you trying to do exactly?
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 22:47   #12

trying to use it as a multiplexer. NB the OP is trying to use two gps applications on windows and needs a windows software multiplexer really
Old 12-03-2010, 05:54   #13

Let's see, it is possible or not to use one GPS mouse for two different programs, for example Opencpn and PolarCom the same time? If so how do I?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:53   #14

OK I'm out of my element here, would someone name a free windows software multiplexer for Alga?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:05   #15

Boat: Najad391
You can use the VSPE irtual Serial Ports Emulator. Can be downloaded for free here:
Eterlogic - Downloads: security tools
janp391 is offline   Reply With Quote