Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 00:42   #1

Boat: Barkas Classic 1100
OpenCPN crashes constantly

Hello,

Recently I did install the previous version (4.8) of OCPN. I did use a Prolific Serial-2-USB converter (S2U), to get AIS data into the Windows system.
Previously using SeaClear, and also the old version of OCPN, it did not give any problem.

With the latest version (5.0.0) however, the system keeps crashing on me, as soon the serial port is activated, on which the Prolific S2U cable is connected.

Can someone help me out, or has something been changed into the OCPN serial port connection, which might cause the problem?

PS: Seaclear still works with this configuration after restart of the system, but as soon OCPN is connected, or (most of the cases) the system is crashing, or (sometimes) it will not connect to the port.
In the latter case, when exiting OCPN, also SeaClear cannot use the port anymore. So something is changing in the port configuration, starting OCPN.

The system is crashing, on both the 32-bit and 64-bit Windows-7 version, running on a Compaq Presario CQ57 Laptop (both clean installations). But it also crashes on a Windows-7 64-bit HP 645g1 Probook laptop.

Please help !!
58gschol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:37   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN crashes constantly

You give no information about your system. I take that back.. Windows. Sorry.
Please review How to request help and report problems
and from the Manual's FAQ
How to request support and report problems if I cannot find the answer in resources listed above?

Try to rename opencpn.ini ot opencpn.ini.old the restart Opencpn. Does that work? You can always go back to the old version. Rebuild the Chart Database completely
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 13:30   #3

Boat: Gemini 3200

The most important piece of information you omitted was whether OpenGL was turned on. That's what has given me the most trouble with all versions of OpenCPN on Windows. Try turning off OpenGL (which is on by default in version 5) and see if that stops the crashes. If it does you need to look for updated OpenGL drivers.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 02:38   #4

Thanks fgd3 (Fabian),

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
The most important piece of information you omitted was whether OpenGL was turned on. That's what has given me the most trouble with all versions of OpenCPN on Windows. Try turning off OpenGL (which is on by default in version 5) and see if that stops the crashes. If it does you need to look for updated OpenGL drivers.
But I don't think, that that will be the reason for my problem.
I am using a 'simple' laptop, having an AMD graphics driver, and on these machines, OpenGL will not run; it was already turned of.

In the mean time, I discovered that different speeds were used in the NMEA network, with a Laptop connection of only 4800bps. So a buffer problem might be one of the reason, causing the problem.
But it puzzles me, why version 4.8.8 did not have the problem, while nothing was changed to the network.

So I will continue the research work.
Old 13-06-2019, 03:10   #5

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58gschol View Post
But it puzzles me, why version 4.8.8 did not have the problem, while nothing was changed to the network.
Between version 4.8.8 and version 5.0 was however a great change in data connections.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 04:49   #6

rename the opencpn.ini file and start opencpn, to see if it has something to do with your old settings! if it works, then just add gps and charts.
Old 13-06-2019, 06:07   #7

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Thanks fgd3 (Fabian),

But I don't think, that that will be the reason for my problem.
I am using a 'simple' laptop, having an AMD graphics driver, and on these machines, OpenGL will not run; it was already turned of.

Just to be sure, did you explicitly turn off OpenGL after upgrading to version 5? The version 5 installation turns on OpenGL even if it was turned off in a prior version.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 09:29   #8

After all the good ideas, I did try everything:
- Recreate OpenCPN.ini
- Turn on and off OpenGL
- change the whole network to 4800bps

Unfortunately, nothing helped and the system was still crashing.

Then I disconnected both the Serial-2-USB connection, and communicated only via an USB connection between MiniPlex and Laptop; and surprise, the system was stable !!

But now I was not able to communicate with the Carbon+ transponder anymore.

Therefor I did decide to reinstall the 4.8.8. version of OpenCPN, next to OpenCPN 5.0.0
I connected all the cables, and this version stayed stable.

So for me the solution is to downgrade to 4.8.8, to prevent problems.

My conclusion is that 5.0.0 will not work in combination with a Serial-2-USB converter, using a Prolific driver, while 4.8.8 does work properly.

Attached the simple wiring diagram of the network.

Thanks for all the help, and coming with suggestions, which could have lead to a solution; unfortunately, it did not work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NMEA netwerk - 2019-06-14.pdf (94.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 14-06-2019, 10:33   #9

Boat: Najad 34

58gschol...
There's something strange with your connection drawing. A USB hub usually have one or several input(s) and one output? Here you've three in and three out?
If you drawing is correct I should have dismissed the USB hub and connected all three direct to the PC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hub.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	193885  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 11:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
58gschol...
There's something strange with your connection drawing. A USB hub usually have one or several input(s) and one output? Here you've three in and three out?
If you drawing is correct I should have dismissed the USB hub and connected all three direct to the PC.
Yes normally you are correct, but the three output connections are physically one cable, containing three separate data connections, which then should be configured as 3 separate COM-ports, showing as well the software where it should be connected with.

PS:
The hub was not the problem; I did connect a serial port directly via a S2U connection to a laptop without hub, and OpenCPN was crashing immediately.
And as well, the Laptop does simply not have enough USB ports, to connect all cables separately, together with a mouse and a USB-Bluetooth stick.

Regards,
Old 14-06-2019, 11:25   #11

Reminder to myself:

This is a classic case of not simplifying things first, when you are having trouble.
Take it down to the simplest configuration.
No external plugins
No extra devices or fancy wiring.
Just the connections needed to get what you want working.
Then add the other stuff back in one at a time!
Old 14-06-2019, 11:43   #12

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Yes normally you are correct, but the three output connections are physically one cable, containing three separate data connections, which then should be configured as 3 separate COM-ports, showing as well the software where it should be connected with.
Very good, I misunderstood.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 05:38   #13

Hello again,

After some further investigation (and lots of frustrations), I made a list of tests done.
The list has been added as 'pdf'.

The list is showing the laptop type, Windows-type (all Windows-7), bit version, OCPN-version, and result + Remark.

My conclusion is that OCPN 5.0.0 in combination with a Prolific Serial-2-USB cable in the network, connected to OCPN, will only work on the Home-Premium edition.

When the Prolific connection is available, but not communicating with OCPN, the system stays stable as well.
But as you could see in my previous network chart, I do need the USB-connection, to communicate with the MiniPlex-hub.
In those cases, I do need to communicate with the MiniPlex-hub, I could disconnect the MiniPlex-hub, and connect it via the Prolific connection. However, then I can read the NMEA data, but I am not able to read and change the MiniPlex configuration.

Amazing as well, is the fact that the Windows-7 Professional configuration, both 32-bit and 64-bit will let the system crash, while the Home-Premium edition (32-bit) is not.
Next test on my list is if the system stays stable on Home-Premium - 64 bit configuration. At this moment I am not using that configuration at all, and I need to make it available.

Last remark; the crash on version 4.8.8 is probably a coincidence or a wrongly recorded measurement. Will try that one again as well.

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Prolific- OpenCPC crahes - (Engels).pdf (175.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 25-06-2019, 07:48   #14

Good sleuthing. Maybe you need to test that cable or try a different one?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...rences_details

but,...I don't know what would account for the differences in OS functionality.

Now I think I know what the problem is. Drivers! Are you being sloppy about drivers?
The manufacturer has different drivers for different OS! Also Prolific early on had some horrific drivers I could not use, just plain bad.

So maybe this should be titled:

"Why does my bad serial cable (driver?) cause OpenCPN to crash all the time"?

Maybe it is just me, but the title quite frankly, is unfortunate, and not inquisitive...like "Why is my Opencpn crashing so frequently in my setup?" - There are many moving parts!!!
Old 25-06-2019, 09:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Good sleuthing. Maybe you need to test that cable or try a different one?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...rences_details

but,...I don't know what would account for the differences in OS functionality.

Now I think I know what the problem is. Drivers! Are you being sloppy about drivers?
The manufacturer has different drivers for different OS! Also Prolific early on had some horrific drivers I could not use, just plain bad.

So maybe this should be titled:

"Why does my bad serial cable (driver?) cause OpenCPN to crash all the time"?

Maybe it is just me, but the title quite frankly, is unfortunate, and not inquisitive...like "Why is my Opencpn crashing so frequently in my setup?" - There are many moving parts!!!

Thanks for the response, but changing out cables, was the first thing I did; no difference.
Prolific has only one driver for 32- and 64-bit and is not making any difference between the different versions of Windows-7 (see attached picture).
Both on 32- and 64-bit versions are made from scratch; clean and simplified for OCPN, and with the same drivers required for the same laptop both on the 32- and 64-bit versions.

The title was chosen, because version 4.8.8 was not giving me these problems, and also SeaClear did not have any problem with these cables and drivers (I am using it already some 8 years). So probably something ('memory-allocation' or 'interrupts' ?) was changed in the new version 5.0.0 and I cannot figure out what it could be.

Luckily OCPN 5.0.0 works fine on the Home-Premium edition.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prolific.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	194642  

Tags
enc, opencpn