Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 03:37   #1

OpenCPN can't connect to GPS 2 IP

Hi everybody,

I'am trying to use my iPhone as a GPS repeater for my Mac, just to have a GPS signal that I can use in OpenCPN. So, I bought GPS 2 IP from the iTunes store, downloaded OpenCPN latest version, installed some charts and I gave it a go.

No luck, so together with the developer op GPS 2 IP we installed gpsd in Terminal and now I'am able to connect to GPS 2 IP (in socket mode) and see gps data in Terminal. He did I great job

Then I tried to get a connection between gpsd and OpenCPN myself. In the preferences tab GPS I tried to do so, but I do not get the green light or any other gps data in OpenCPN.

I did some digging in your forum, found several posts but I can't make anything out of it. I'am quite sure the answer has already been posted in the forum. Sorry for this new one but I can't find it simply because I'am a "plug and play" mac user and stay away from Terminal unless somebody guides me through the process because I simply don't understand what I'am doing in Terminal Maybe I did some wrong installations already but I'am not aware of that and therefor don't know what and how I should uninstall.

Is there somebody who can help me out? Is gpsd the best way to connect or are there other and better options/configurations?

I'am looking forward to hear from you.

Willem
Willem NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:02   #2

Re: OpenCPN can't connect to GPS 2 IP

I think you need a piece of software to connect your ip to a virtual com port, as OCPN needs to connect to a com port.

these guys do a good virtual com port prog.

Eterlogic - Welcome to www.eterlogic.com website

Havent used it in this way, personally, but to share one gps com port across many programs. others will be along with more details

Have just re read your post, ip =phone not ip address. when you look at terminal, does it tell you a com port number, if so this is what should be entered in the gps data source in settings in ocpn
yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtman View Post
Hi yachtman,

Thanks for your reply. I've looked at there webpage but found system requirements to be windows. Doesn't run on my mac I guess.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:29   #4

Boat: Amel Sharki

Willem,

I am afraid yachtman is wrong. Eterlogic is for Windows only and there is no need for a COM port at OpenCPN but you have to connect with "Network LIBGPS" in the GPS settings of OpenCPN.

I do not know your GPS2IP app you have bought but there is a solution for free to connect an iPhone to OpenCPN. You will need however Python from MacPorts to have it run: Making your iPhone look like a NMEA GPS receiver with gpsd and WiFi or Bluetooth | spench.net

I have tested this free solution myself and it works great with iPhone and Mac OS X but you have to be familiar with Terminal commands and the such.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:37   #5

Hi CarCode,

Thanks, yes, i found out Eterlogic is for Windows.

GPS2IP is an App for iPhone. Looks great, works with gpsd and so, but no connection with OpenCPN.

I've recognized your post, and have seen the spench.net earlier but could not figure out what to do, and, second, I could not find if it sends COG and SOG. You will probably know.

Further, being on that page, I've no clue what to do with is. What do I need to install where?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:46   #6

Boat: Amel Sharki

Willem,
I suppose it might be too difficult for you to install the spent.net solution.
If you will use your GPS2IP app with gpsd for OpenCPN you will need however the gpsd on your Mac. You can either install gpsd with the help of MacPorts or you can use gpsdX. OpenCPN should work then with "Network LIBGPS". You may test gps with the commands cgps or gpsmon in your Terminal.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54   #7

Hi CarCode,

I've had GPSDX installed twice but it does not work.

Gpsd is installed and running. Choosing Network LIBGPS resulted in an error saying "libgps not found". So I installed gpsd +universal. Choosing Network LIBGPS gives me an error saying something with "gps_open" (I can't recall exactly cause I'm not behind my mac today) but it looks like progress.

I'll let you know about the terminal commands when I am back at my mac
Old 05-09-2012, 13:52   #8

Hi CarCode,

Terminal commands are negative. Cgps gives no result and gpsmon gives an empty table.

Any ideas?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:54   #9

Willem, when you get this going could you post some instructions please. I have the same setup and was disappointed after buying GPS 2 IP that it wasn't simple to get going.

Cheers
deandavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandavis1
Willem, when you get this going could you post some instructions please. I have the same setup and was disappointed after buying GPS 2 IP that it wasn't simple to get going.

Cheers
No problem but up till now luck
Old 27-02-2020, 14:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem NL View Post
Hi everybody,

I'am trying to use my iPhone as a GPS repeater for my Mac, just to have a GPS signal that I can use in OpenCPN. So, I bought GPS 2 IP from the iTunes store, downloaded OpenCPN latest version, installed some charts and I gave it a go.

No luck, so together with the developer op GPS 2 IP we installed gpsd in Terminal and now I'am able to connect to GPS 2 IP (in socket mode) and see gps data in Terminal. He did I great job

Then I tried to get a connection between gpsd and OpenCPN myself. In the preferences tab GPS I tried to do so, but I do not get the green light or any other gps data in OpenCPN.

I did some digging in your forum, found several posts but I can't make anything out of it. I'am quite sure the answer has already been posted in the forum. Sorry for this new one but I can't find it simply because I'am a "plug and play" mac user and stay away from Terminal unless somebody guides me through the process because I simply don't understand what I'am doing in Terminal Maybe I did some wrong installations already but I'am not aware of that and therefor don't know what and how I should uninstall.

Is there somebody who can help me out? Is gpsd the best way to connect or are there other and better options/configurations?

I'am looking forward to hear from you.

Willem

I got it to work to my OpenCPN installation on ubuntu linux connected to the same wifi. After some fiddeling I selected the port only mode to connect at port 6000 in GPS2IP app on my Iphone.

In OpenCPN under connections i selected GPSD and the address to my Iphone 192.168.0.17 in my case, with port 6000.
4getit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:44   #12

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Why not I can't connect...?

There you guys go again.
Quote:
OpenCPN can't.connect..
Why not I can't connect...?
If you have to attribute it.

Thank you for reporting your success, however!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, opencpn