Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 06:50   #1

OpenCPN, Camino 108 and NMEA 0183/2000

I am thinking of buying an AMEC Camino 108 AIS. It would be connected to a small laptop by USB and provide AIS information to OpenCPN below deck.

The Camino 108 also has a built in NMEA 0183 multiplexor and by using an AMEC NK-80 NMEA 0183/2000 interface I want to provide AIS information to my SeaTalk ng network (and the plotter on deck).

Is there anyone that has an idea of what kind of NMEA data OpenCPN would be able to receive and send using a set up like this?

Will I receive all data that is available in the SeaTalk ng network or do i risk loosing info in the translation?

Can I send routes to the plotter and active waypoint to the autopilot from OpenCPN?

Kind regards, Lars
lasse.wiborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:24   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: OpenCPN, Camino 108 and NMEA 0183/2000

Lars..
If you connect the AIS to OCPN via the USB connector you should receive all AIS NMEA messages to show AIS targets and DSC info overlayed on your charts. Also the Camino-108 GPS info would be transmitted this way.(You may have to use there USB driver depending on your PC-system.)
Via the NMEA 2000 connector the GPS messages should also appear on your navigator but not AIS info. What I can see these are only broadcast as NMEA 0183 messages so you've to use the multiplexer and the NMEA 0183/2000 converter for that.
That's rather simple.

Next step may be to also send/receive data from OCPN from/to the navigator. From the Camino-108 manual the inbound multiplexer would be able to also combine these data on the same cable. Then you can most probably send tracks, waypoints and autopilot info via that link. But for that you may have to use the multiplexer and a Sierial/USB converter from/to OCPN. It's not clear if the USB connector can handle data over to the multiplexer.

There is a nice filter function in OCPN so you can control what to transmit to the navigator in order to not send data that may disturb.

Also OCPN has a multiplexer function so there will be a lot of other possibilities here.
It's mostly about reading all manuals, have a well prepared connection plan and keep an eye on correct baud rates for each connector.

Good luck
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:49   #3
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Just have a look at the manual

Data Connections | Official OpenCPN Homepage

or from OpenCPN using the "?" button from the tool bar will bring up Help with the same manual - it comes already bundled with your install.

Please don't hesitate to come back with any question or doubt!
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Lars..
If you connect the AIS to OCPN via the USB connector you should receive all AIS NMEA messages to show AIS targets and DSC info overlayed on your charts. Also the Camino-108 GPS info would be transmitted this way.(You may have to use there USB driver depending on your PC-system.)
Via the NMEA 2000 connector the GPS messages should also appear on your navigator but not AIS info. What I can see these are only broadcast as NMEA 0183 messages so you've to use the multiplexer and the NMEA 0183/2000 converter for that.
That's rather simple.

Next step may be to also send/receive data from OCPN from/to the navigator. From the Camino-108 manual the inbound multiplexer would be able to also combine these data on the same cable. Then you can most probably send tracks, waypoints and autopilot info via that link. But for that you may have to use the multiplexer and a Sierial/USB converter from/to OCPN. It's not clear if the USB connector can handle data over to the multiplexer.

There is a nice filter function in OCPN so you can control what to transmit to the navigator in order to not send data that may disturb.

Also OCPN has a multiplexer function so there will be a lot of other possibilities here.
It's mostly about reading all manuals, have a well prepared connection plan and keep an eye on correct baud rates for each connector.

Good luck
Håkan
Thanks for your detailed answer. Reading the manual and looking at the attached illustration everything that is sent into the NMEA0183 ports seems to be forwarded to the other ports (with some exceptions).

The problem seem to be the other way around: sending data from the USB (OpenCPN) on to the network. Is that possible using a USB/Serial converter? I found some info on using RS232 in the AMEC FAQ.

I also wonder if someone can explain what happens in the translation between NMEA 0183/NMEA 2000? Does all NMEA sentences exist in each protocol (0183 vs 2000) or might some information get lost when translated into the older protocol?

Kind regards, Lars
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camino multiplexor.PNG
Views:	456
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	98706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camino RS232.PNG
Views:	1536
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	98707  

Old 11-03-2015, 06:25   #5
bcn

You can use an USB-serial adapter on input or output. Or several. For the program this is just another COM-port.

There is no 1:1 match between NMEA0183 and N2K - in neither direction.
In general N2K is richer - it is the more recent protocol.
Mapping navigation related data is quite well covered however.

As an example: N2K allows for several instances of a sensor or data provider like a GPS.
With a talker ID you can force this at NMEA0183 a bit, but it is not a basic feature.
Or battery status at N2K, that does not exist on the NMEA0183 side.

Actisense has some documentation about the translation between the two protocols as they market very well known and common gateways.
You might have a look at their web site.
Old 11-03-2015, 13:57   #6

Boat: Najad 34

Lars..
I think BCN covered the most but I've one comment;
What I learned from your manuals is that the USB port seems to be a one way out and won't communicate with the multiplexer. You may consider to use that for AIS data into OCPN. Then a Serial/USB converter from the multiplexer to/from OCPN and use that for signals to and from the navigator. Or if the AIS happens to also come this way you can skip the USB line? Start using the multiplexer line to OCPN and check in the OCPN NMEA window what you receive.
I think your planned system gives a lot of possibilities so you will for sure find a efficient solution. The OCPN filter function will help you with this.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 22:38   #7

Thanks for all your help! I feel like I have an idea of how to put this together now and just ordered the Camino and the 0183/2000 Interface. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-07-2015, 10:46   #8

Hello again!

Now I have set up my network and everything works. I can see AIS targets and all other network data on both my Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2 Touch in the cockpit, and at my laptop running OpenCPN down at the nav station. I only have one problem and that is sending a route or a waypoint to the plotter.

I have the connection in OpenCPN set at NMEA0183 with 38400 baud. The laptop talks to the Camino-108 AIS which passes the data on to the NK-80 interface which translates it to NMEA 2000 and puts it on the Seatalk Ng network.

The plotter is set to accept waypoints both on NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183. I can see all units on the network at the plotters network page and OpenCPN says the transfer were successful. Still nothing is received.

What am i doing work???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Båtnätverk.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	104713  
Old 05-07-2015, 14:18   #9

Reading further in OpenCPN documentation it seems only serial ports can appear in the list of dataports presented when you select Send to GPS. They dont have to be defined in the list of Connections but where do you define it then?

I have one connection defined and it is nmea 0183 / 38400 baud. Can I create more connections at other speeds (4800 baud for the GPS) using the same serial port? What happens when my laptop talks to the AIS that acts as a multiplexor in my network? Will it understand 4800 baud and will it pass it on correctly?

I am quite lost as you might guess here... ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-07-2015, 00:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Lars..
I think BCN covered the most but I've one comment;
What I learned from your manuals is that the USB port seems to be a one way out and won't communicate with the multiplexer. You may consider to use that for AIS data into OCPN. Then a Serial/USB converter from the multiplexer to/from OCPN and use that for signals to and from the navigator. Or if the AIS happens to also come this way you can skip the USB line? Start using the multiplexer line to OCPN and check in the OCPN NMEA window what you receive.
I think your planned system gives a lot of possibilities so you will for sure find a efficient solution. The OCPN filter function will help you with this.
Håkan
From what I understand about OpenCPN you should be able to use the same dataport both for receiving and transmitting. I have tried eneabling output on my only connection but that didn't change anything (except the debug window got busier).

Could it be a problem with conflicting traffic? I have GPS both from the AIS and the navigator on the network. With the dataport on OpenCPN in output mode a lot of traffic is bouncing. I guess I should only allow route and waypoint sentences go out from OpenCPN but I don't know what those sentences are called?

If the problem is the baud rate I could set up a parallell connection with the USB from the AIS as input at 38400 and the existing USB/Seriel as output at 4800 baud. But will the baud matter when the traffic is translated into NMEA 2000 through the interface?

Kind regards, Lars
Old 12-07-2015, 14:35   #11

Boat: C&C 34

Lars,

If you have a Seatalk ng, you basically have a NMEA2000 network. Just get one of these: Raymarine SeaTalk Ng to NMEA 2000 Adapter Cable (Female) and use it to connect the AMEC 108 (This is NMEA2000 compliant) to your Seatalk ng network.

Then try the USB port for the laptop and see what you get. I suspect you will get everything your looking for, its easy and only $30.

Until you see, no sense trying to invent something you might not need.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 05:10   #12

Boat: Island Trader 1981, 37 feet

Hello folks, after reading all the previous, i still have a question. I use Open CPN (which i really like) and i just bought an AIS100 USB from Digital Yatch. I am no a scientific and i hardly understand all the talks around except maybe that in their document, they say that it is a plug and play and that my windows xp should recognise it and create a com port for it... Ooooops... this is not theresult i have. I hve struggleing for days trying to make it work. No luck.

On their CD there is program to search com ports and when it detects that the ais100 is connected to com4, it then shows some funny caracters, probably numeric datas. When i go to opencpn and add com4 in the connections, i do not get any resuts.

When i try to add new material to windows xp, it goes no where but a dead end. I have a green light on the device that shows it is ready to be use, but still opencpn does not see it... any idea?

Thanks for any help.

Dan on Cap Sud
CapSud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 06:13   #13
Marine Service Provider

Dan. The AIS use 38400 baud speed on the com port. What is the setting for this in opencpn in your pc ??
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 06:58   #14
bcn

And don't forget that just one program at a time can connect to a COM port:
close the service program or better disconnect from the service program and then connect from OCPN.
Garbled stuff can be an indicator for a wrong baud rate as Petter already stated.

Tags
enc, nmea, nmea 0183, opencpn