Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 17:20   #1

OpenCPN, BU-353, BSOD

Just started using the program and I'm very satisfied with it. However, I am experiencing a BSOD issue after various times (15 mins to and hours) of consecutive running.

I did do a forum search and noticed others with similar issues but some different details. I'm using a Toshiba laptop with the USB BU-353. If anybody can tell me where to begin or what info to provide I'd be grateful.
Jargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 18:00   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: OpenCPN, BU-353, BSOD

My solution was to install and run Windows XP--not one problem in the 3 years since I did.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 18:31   #3

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jargers View Post
Just started using the program and I'm very satisfied with it. However, I am experiencing a BSOD issue after various times (15 mins to and hours) of consecutive running.

I did do a forum search and noticed others with similar issues but some different details. I'm using a Toshiba laptop with the USB BU-353. If anybody can tell me where to begin or what info to provide I'd be grateful.
What OS?

This might help How To Fix a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 20:05   #4

Quote:

I've had a similar problem with two different computers - one running Win XP, and the other Win 7 64 bit. But I am using Bluetooth with Toshiba drivers. Like you, it happens after 15-300 minutes, so can be hard to replicate.

Is your USB dongle emulating a COM port? If so, which one? (High numbered COM ports might cause problems, in my experience. Toshiba Bluetooth likes COM40 and higher, and mapping to a lower number seemed to eliminate the problem.)

I suggest that you download the free Who Crashed utility and use it to analyze your crash dump file (found in C:\Windows\Minidump). That might give you some hints of what caused your BSOD.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 00:40   #5
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Who might have a look on the the Windows resource manager while running the program.
On my Dell we found a memory leak (=system using more and more memory and once used up every byte available crashes) due to a faulty (in this case) OpenGL driver.
The behavior was similar - bsod after some time, anything between 10min and 4h.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:11   #6

Thanks very much for the replies to my question. Apologies for the time it took for my own reply as I've been trying the advice you all kindly gave and, as mentioned earlier, I'm still learning to use the program.

Quote:
My solution was to install and run Windows XP--not one problem in the 3 years since I did.
This isn't really realistic unfortunately. I don't have access to XP discs and the laptop I'm running the setup on came pre-loaded with windows 7.

Quote:
What OS?

This might help How To Fix a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

Terry
Windows 7. I did check out that link. There was a lot of stuff to check out but I did my best. All drivers and Windows updates have been installed. BIOS is up to date. Still need to try some safe-mode settings. BSOD has been flashing quite quickly to a restart but I have managed to see that the file displayed as the main problem on the BSOD is wdf01000.sys which is given with a super long memory address that I can provide if necessary. Just to be clear, haven't experienced any BSOD on this machine since installing OPENcpn. Will keep updating as I explore safe mode set ups.

Quote:
I've had a similar problem with two different computers - one running Win XP, and the other Win 7 64 bit. But I am using Bluetooth with Toshiba drivers. Like you, it happens after 15-300 minutes, so can be hard to replicate.

Is your USB dongle emulating a COM port? If so, which one? (High numbered COM ports might cause problems, in my experience. Toshiba Bluetooth likes COM40 and higher, and mapping to a lower number seemed to eliminate the problem.)

I suggest that you download the free Who Crashed utility and use it to analyze your crash dump file (found in C:\Windows\Minidump). That might give you some hints of what caused your BSOD.
I actually read your thread with interest when first perusing these forums. As you noted there are some similarities. To answer your question about the USB dongle...I think so. I'm not 100% sure of the meaning of dongle in this case but the GPS is basically a black puck shaped object with a cord with a USB at the end that I put in the USB port. It emulates (right word) comm 5 on my laptop. I will try out the Who Crashed utility if you think it may provide more info?

Quote:
Who might have a look on the the Windows resource manager while running the program.
On my Dell we found a memory leak (=system using more and more memory and once used up every byte available crashes) due to a faulty (in this case) OpenGL driver.
The behavior was similar - bsod after some time, anything between 10min and 4h.

Hubert
By resource manager, do you mean Windows Task Manager than can be accessed by hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Thanks for replies again and any further advice is welcome.
Old 15-01-2014, 13:03   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:

By resource manager, do you mean Windows Task Manager than can be accessed by hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del?
Yes, that's correct
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 20:26   #8

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

I have a BU-353 and have used it with laptops running both Windows 7 and Windows 8. The latest drivers for the BU-353 can be found here: USGlobalsat Corporate and are known to have issues with Windows 8 (depending on the firmware of model of BU-353 you have). That happened to me on my Windows 8 machine. But on my Windows 7 machine I haven't had any problems. If you don't have the latest version of the BU-353 drivers, you might want to give that a try.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 18:13   #9

Problem solved. I needed to update the prolific->USB drivers. I got a bit distracted with other attempted fixes so I probably should have got it sooner but better late than never. Thanks for all the replies and all the advice.

Tags
enc, opencpn