Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 17:39   #91

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: OpenCPN Beta test 4.1.925 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
Hi!

I try to compile 4.1.925 from source with VS2013 but I have an error on linking the chart downloader plugin:
Any idea how to fix it?

Source code: e6a0015
Windows: 7
Visual Studio: 2013
Toolset: vc120_x86

CMake: 3.3.2
wxWidgets: 3.0.2
Did you get any warnings when compiling the chartdldr_pi plugin sources? If so, please post them.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:36   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
All things beginning wx are defined in the wxWidgets libraries. These are in the binary dependencies or in the wxWidgets built when you installed wx per the developer instructions.
I don't know what I should say. Either you making fun of me or have no idea about the program.

I have solved the problem by myself. It is a very simple error. wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT is defined in the pluginmanager.cpp, but is not exported in the opencpn.lib. I've created a patch with an MSVC workarround.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf patch.pdf (147.2 KB, 332 views)
Mr. S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:45   #93

Quote:
I don't know what I should say. Either you making fun of me or have no idea about the program.

I have solved the problem by myself. It is a very simple error. wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT is defined in the pluginmanager.cpp, but is not exported in the opencpn.lib. I've created a patch with an MSVC workarround.
I am not making fun. But I can tell you that I have built the program many times with VS2013 without seeing this error.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:58   #94

Quote:
I am not making fun. But I can tell you that I have built the program many times with VS2013 without seeing this error.
How do you link chartdldr_pi without the exported wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT? Have you got a special code branch or special VS settings?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:01   #95

Boat: Phantom 19

Mr. S...
The master branch builds without any problems with VS2013, at least for me and probably also for everybody who tried to help you by responding - are you sure you have the code up to date and without any other changes? No special settings are needed, just follow the build instructions at Compiling - Windows | Official OpenCPN Homepage
If at least a bit possible, please submit patches as pull requests on Github, especially if they are 23 pages long...

wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT should get exported properly when declared using
Code:
DECLARE_EVENT_TYPE(wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT, -1)
at least that is what I see in <wx/event.h>. But I'm a very rare Windows user and start it just to package OpenCPN's releases, so I can sure be missing something.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:49   #96

It builds for me without any patches. I used to get a warning about suspect linkage to some functions that return wx objects. But it always links without error. In debugger I get no flags about any problem with this issue either.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:53   #97

Get Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows Desktop or Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition (with Update 4)

Done! With all updates!

Get the Git installation packages from Redirecting Git for Windows' homepage...

No, the current git version for Windows is at https://git-for-windows.github.io/.

I’ve opened a command window with a few commands:
E:\OpenCPN>call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat" x86
E:\OpenCPN>SET PATH=%PATH%;E:\Work\Tools\Version\GIT\bin

Get the latest CMake installation packages from http://www.cmake.org

Done! cmake-3.3.2-win32-x86

E:\OpenCPN>SET PATH=%PATH%;E:\Work\Tools\cmake-3.3.2.0-win32-x86\bin

Get the latest POedit installation package from Poedit - Gettext Translations Editor

Done! GNU gettext tools for Windows 0.19.5.1. Btw, you can also use https://www.nuget.org/packages/Gettext.Tools/ on Visual Studio.

E:\OpenCPN>SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\Poedit\GettextTools\bin

In case you want to create installation packages, get NSIS Unicode 2.46.5 from Unicode NSIS

I’ve skipped that step because I don’t want to create an installer.

Get the latest 3.0 release from Downloads - wxWidgets (at the time of this writing 3.0.2)

I’ve downloaded wxWidgets-3.0.2.7z and extracted to E:\OpenCPN\source\wxWidgets-3.0.2

In Visual Studio, open wx_vc12.sln

Open E:\OpenCPN\source\wxWidgets-3.0.2\build\msw\wx_vc12.sln and start a batch build with all configurations.

To be able to run debug builds and release builds without install add C:\${WXDIR}\lib\vc_dll to your PATH.

CMake is looking for wxWidgets_ROOT_DIR and wxWidgets_LIB_DIR (FindwxWidgets.cmake, line 22 and 24).

SET wxWidgets_ROOT_DIR=E:\OpenCPN\source\wxWidgets-3.0.2
SET wxWidgets_LIB_DIR=%wxWidgets_ROOT_DIR%\lib\vc_dll

To get the source for the first time, issue
git clone git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git

E:\OpenCPN>git clone git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git E:\OpenCPN\source\OpenCPN
Cloning into 'E:\OpenCPN\source\OpenCPN'...
remote: Counting objects: 37951, done.
remote: Total 37951 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 37951R
Receiving objects: 100% (37951/37951), 206.28 MiB | 2.76 MiB/s, done.

Resolving deltas: 100% (27227/27227), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
Checking out files: 100% (2502/2502), done.

In case you want to make the Release builds and create the setup packages, you must get OpenCPN_buildwin.7z (In case you are using Visual Studio 2010, use OpenCPN_buildwin-vc10.7z instead) and extract the archive into your toplevel OpenCPN source directory created by the clone operation above.

I never reached the release step jet, but I’ve downloaded and extracted the file OpenCPN_buildwin-vc10.7z.

CD into your the topmost source directory and create a directory named build under it:
mkdir build

E:\OpenCPN>cd E:\OpenCPN\source\OpenCPN
E:\OpenCPN\source\OpenCPN>mkdir build

4.1a – Configuring the build from command line (recommended):
cd into the build directory
issue cmake -T v120_xp ..

I don’t have the XP toolset on my computer.

E:\OpenCPN\source\OpenCPN>cd build
E:\OpenCPN\source\OpenCPN\build>cmake.exe -D OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY=opengl32.lib -D OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY=glu32.lib -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=E:\OpenCPN\install -G "Visual Studio 12" ..
-- *** Build Architecture is i386
-- *** Staging to build opencpn 4.1.925 ***
-- *** Package will include documentation ***
-- *** Package will include GSHHS basechart level: CRUDE ***
-- *** Package will include tide and current data ***
-- Found OpenGL...
-- Lib: glu32.libopengl32.lib
-- Include:
-- Found wxWidgets...
-- debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30ud_gl.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30u_gl.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxbase30ud_net.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxbase30u_net.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxbase30ud_xml.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxbase30u_xml.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30ud_html.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30u_html.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30ud_adv.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30u_adv.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30ud_aui.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30u_aui.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30ud_core.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30u_core.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxbase30ud.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxbase30u.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxpngd.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxpng.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxtiffd.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxtiff.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxjpegd.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxjpeg.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxzlibd.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxzlib.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxregexud.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxregexu.lib;debug;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxexpatd.lib;optimized;E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxexpat.lib;opengl32;glu32;winmm;comctl32;rpcrt4;w sock32
--
-- *** Staging to build opencpn ***
-- Build type: Release
-- *** Will install to E:/OpenCPN/install ***
-- WXCURL CONFIGURED...
-- tinyxml library not found
-- S57 ENC support: enabled
-- Garmin Host Mode support: enabled
-- Compiling texture compression library with sse support
--
-- *** Staging to build PlugIns ***
-- *** Staging to build chartdldr_pi ***
-- Found OpenGL...
-- Lib: glu32.libopengl32.libglu32.libopengl32.lib
-- Include:
-- Chartdldr_pi building with embedded tinyxml
-- Install Prefix: E:/OpenCPN/install
--
-- *** Staging to build dashboard_pi ***
-- *** Staging to build grib_pi ***
-- *** Staging to build wmm_pi ***
-- Found OpenGL...
-- Lib: glu32.libopengl32.libglu32.libopengl32.lib
-- Include:
-- Found OpenGL...
-- Lib: glu32.libopengl32.libglu32.libopengl32.libglu32.li bopengl32.lib
-- Include:
-- Install Prefix: E:/OpenCPN/install
-- Writing spec file...
-- Configuring done

CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
Policy CMP0043 is not set: Ignore COMPILE_DEFINITIONS_<Config> properties.
Run "cmake --help-policy CMP0043" for policy details. Use the cmake_policy command to set the policy and suppress this warning.
This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

Run "cmake --help-policy CMP0043" for policy details. Use the cmake_policy command to set the policy and suppress this warning.

-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: E:/OpenCPN/source/OpenCPN/build

4.2b – Compiling from Visual Studio
Open the solution created by cmake (build/OpenCPN.sln).
Compile the whole solution or individual projects.
You have to compile project opencpn before you can compile any plugins (to be fixed in the configuration process)

First, open build/OpenCPN.sln and rebuild project opencpn: http://pastebin.com/VYBE8WTH

Second, build whole project: http://pastebin.com/qhy4nBJh

Line 495:
Quote:
8>chartdldr_pi.obj : error LNK2001: Nicht aufgelöstes externes Symbol ""int const wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT" (?wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT@@3HB)".
8>E:\OpenCPN\source\OpenCPN\build\plugins\chartdld r_pi\Debug\chartdldr_pi.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 nicht aufgelöste Externe
What's wrong?

Also, I have a question. Why is there a file E:\OpenCPN\source\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi\src \ocpn_plugin.h ? I thought the plugins should use E:\OpenCPN\source\OpenCPN\include\ocpn_plugin.h ! That's the reason why my path has 23 pages: I've deleted that file of chartdldr_pi.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:53   #98

If you have the VS2013 installed then the instruction that says to issue this command:

cmake -T v120_xp ..

will work. I would say this is one place to look for a problem. This command works on my Windows 10 system with VS2013 installed.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:05   #99

Boat: Phantom 19

Mr. S...
And we have a probable winner...
As you built all the possible wxWidgets configurations, you are now linking against the static libs, found by cmake first (You can see it in the part of your cmake output containing E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30ud_*.lib etc.)
You should be linking against E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_dll/wxmsw30ud_*.lib

ocpn_plugin.h in plugins/chartdldr_pi (and FWIW in plugins/wmm_pi as well) was included in the tree by error when the plugin was merged and can be removed. Causes no harm and has nothing to do with your problem though.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 13:46   #100

Quote:
If you have the VS2013 installed then the instruction that says to issue this command:

cmake -T v120_xp ..

will work. I would say this is one place to look for a problem. This command works on my Windows 10 system with VS2013 installed.
This didn't solve my problem. I've installed the WinXP support and restart the whole process - same error message, same problem. Btw, I don't think it's a good idea to force WinXP compatibility because VS2015 doesn't have such a function so using a new compiler is not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
And we have a probable winner...
As you built all the possible wxWidgets configurations, you are now linking against the static libs, found by cmake first (You can see it in the part of your cmake output containing E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_lib/wxmsw30ud_*.lib etc.)
You should be linking against E:/OpenCPN/source/wxWidgets-3.0.2/lib/vc_dll/wxmsw30ud_*.lib
Wtf? Shame on me! I missed that Detail. Thanks a lot . I thought wxWidgets_USE_STATIC would solve that Problem, but it looks like that switch is not working under Windows.
Old 03-10-2015, 15:38   #101

Quote:
This didn't solve my problem. I've installed the WinXP support and restart the whole process - same error message, same problem. Btw, I don't think it's a good idea to force WinXP compatibility because VS2015 doesn't have such a function so using a new compiler is not possible.

Wtf? Shame on me! I missed that Detail. Thanks a lot . I thought wxWidgets_USE_STATIC would solve that Problem, but it looks like that switch is not working under Windows.
Glad you got it working. A lot of O users still run XP.
Old 03-10-2015, 16:46   #102

Boat: Hylas 44

Visual Studio 2015 - Windows XP (v140_xp) is an available platform toolset.
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 20:07   #103
Marine Service Provider

Ahoy 4.1.925 builders/testers...

New code in github now should return Windows cm93 performance to O4 levels, or slightly better for some use cases. Also, cm93 compositing has been corrected for locations near the Longitude 0 crossing.

Please take a look at this fresh code, and build/test if able.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:01   #104

Boat: Najad 34

Dave..
re; Ahoy 4.1.925 builders/testers...
Yes, now we seems "back to normal", at least for the areas around Sweden. Much appreciated!
And also is the own track following close to the boat again since some commits ago.

Many thanks
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:38   #105

Boat: Alberg 37

OpenCPN 4.1.925 with New BSB4 Plugin on Dell Laptop Win 7

OPCN "Not Responding" when trying to viewCanadian BSB Charts for Lake Ontario.

Opened OCPN, installed BSB4 plugin, viewed US raster charts - no problem.
Added directory of Canadian BSB4 charts , database updated, no problem panning US chart. As soon as I click on Canadian chart, OCPN goes Not Responding. Need to close window using X. Log attached (remove .pdf)

Roger
RogerD is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn