Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 07:08   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
OpenCPN autopilot settings and control

There's an OpenCPN autopilot control thread, but I can't see either in that thread or in the wiki where the autopilot menu and controls are in OpenCPN.

Am I missing something?

BTW My autopilot system is a Raymarine Evolution system connected via SeatalkNG and to OpenCPN via ethernet and/or wifi.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:42   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN autopilot settings and control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
There's an OpenCPN autopilot control thread, but I can't see either in that thread or in the wiki where the autopilot menu and controls are in OpenCPN.

Am I missing something?

BTW My autopilot system is a Raymarine Evolution system connected via SeatalkNG and to OpenCPN via ethernet and/or wifi.
There are not +10/-10/+1/-1 buttons and sensitivity selection as there is no standard interface for these provided by the autopilots. What OpenCPN does is, when a route is activated, produce the standard RMB, RMC, APB and XTE NMEA0183 messages and sends them to all the connections set for data output.

You can then do the standard operations like changing the active waypoint etc.
This is the role of the chartplotter in your setup, the rest is done by the autopilot system itself.

More details at https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._route_console and various other places in the manual.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:27   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
This thread is about improving generic route following for all autopilots by improving the nmea sentences generated for nav mode only.
Quote:
Am I missing something?

I have a special plugin for my autopilot which allows manual control, +- buttons (customizable) tack buttons, setting modes, tweaking gains, and also modifying all the autopilot settings and viewing statistics such as power consumption. It uses signalk for communication.

You could develop a similar plugin for the raymarine system. I dont know what raymarine uses for control, it certainly isn't signalk or nmea, so it might require reverse engineering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pypilot_pi.png
Views:	253
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	163604  
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:06   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

This is very interesting Sean. Mike R. [Rasbats] has developed the Plugin "ShipDriver"
which has a Raymarine AP interface at the bottom of it. This plugin is basically a useful simulator at this point, able to drive the ship around.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 23:00   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:

Am I missing something?

Raymarine SeatalkNG is NMEA 2000 and unless they have done some updating of OpenCPN I am unaware of OpenCPN transmits only NMEA 0183 data.

Also, again unless it is a capability lately added, OpenCPM will not drive ethernet or wifi and you will need a USB to RS422/485 converter and an NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter.

I don't know how well it works but there was a thread on a NMEA converter plugin on CruiserForum in which case you would only need the USB to RS422/485 converter to connect computer to autopilot.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 23:26   #6

There is no standard for NMEA2000 over ethernet or wifi, so sentences are always 0183, so no need for a converter.

Perhaps I'll fire off an email to these guys, they seem to have tested it:

Yacht Devices News: Control of Raymarine autopilots was added to our gateways
Old 07-02-2018, 02:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Also, again unless it is a capability lately added, OpenCPM will not drive ethernet or wifi and you will need a USB to RS422/485 converter and an NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter.
OpenCPN does "drive" network connections for years...
Old 07-02-2018, 03:01   #8

So USB only.

That clears it up then. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:04   #9

Quote:
So USB only.

That clears it up then. Thanks.
No, not USB only. OpenCPN is able to send the output over a network. But what is sent is always the same, the standard NME0183 APM, RMB, RMC and XTE sentences. What you use to consume them, convert to NMEA2000 and transmit to your autopilot is another question.
Yes, the most straightforward solution probably is Actisense NGT-1 or similar device connected to USB.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:08   #10

No worries then.

The autopilot itself, and the MFD can read those sentences in 0183 no problem.

I think the issue is, the Raymarine also adds a few propriety sentences, that require a Raymarine MFD to send to the autopilot.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:23   #11

Mike,
You always seem to generalize, when it is not appropriate. It always depends on your equipment.

If your Raymarine Autopilot is older, it will likely accept Nmea0183 in which case Opencpn is likely able to send a route leg by leg with the right wiring. If that does not work and you have an older set of Raymarine instruments (ST60) and a SeaTalk1 cabling to your autopilot you can get a nmea0183 to ST converter to help with that task.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:38   #12

The autopilot mentioned in the OP is the evolution series (it's the latest model). Sentences can be sent via 0183 to something like a multifunction display (that accepts 0183 as mine does), or anything else that can take 0183 and convert to NMEA 2000 via ethernet, wifi (as mine does), or the backbone network.

The main difference between my setup and one posted in the link above where the pilot was test with OpenCPN is a Raymarine MFD. It seems this might be needed to send the additional propriety sentences to the autopilot.

Anyway, this is getting off track. Threads on these forums often go off on a tangent. All I was wondering was where, if any the OpenCPN autopilot controls are. I got my answer, and my curiosity has been satisfied.

It might be a fun project further down the line, but for now, thanks all.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:39   #13

Mike, sorry. Should have read 1st post.

Tags
autopilot, enc, opencpn