Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 20:09   #1

OpenCPN+Android : external USB-Serial devices ?

Hi!
I have a fluxgate compass that is sending NMEA HDG sentences over a USB port; it uses an FTDI Serial/USB adapter. This compass works fine with desktop and laptop versions of OpenCPN, Windows and Navigatrix, no problem. If I run a terminal on my Android it sees the incoming NMEA messages. It all looks good, but OpenCPN doesn't seem to see the port, and it certainly isn't reading any sentences. The terminal program never asks which port to connect to, it just does. But the DataPort selection box in OpenCPN contains no information (although I have tried typing in several numbers etc). Nothing seems to go. I am running it fast (115200), but the Windows/Navigatrix versions can take this with no problem.

I would be most appreciative if anyone can steer me in the right direction.
Cheers!
PaulRowntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 03:53   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN+Android : external USB-Serial devices ?

Aren't you using a com port? I believe the usb driver will grab the next Com port so you will want to select a com port and configure that. Once setup, always plug into the exact same usb port or your drivers will create another com port. Others will have more specifics.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 07:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Aren't you using a com port? I believe the usb driver will grab the next Com port so you will want to select a com port and configure that. Once setup, always plug into the exact same usb port or your drivers will create another com port. Others will have more specifics.
Nothing shows up in the 'Dataport' drop down list. Does Android call them COM ports like Windows? The terminal program seemed to know that there was only 1 device / port available and connected accordingly.

When you say 'USB Drivers' ... are these installed in the Android systems ? I didn't install anything to make the terminal work, but that app may have included Android drivers, not sure. Android is a bit of a black box to me ...
PaulRowntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 15:21   #4

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRowntree View Post
Nothing shows up in the 'Dataport' drop down list. Does Android call them COM ports like Windows? The terminal program seemed to know that there was only 1 device / port available and connected accordingly.

When you say 'USB Drivers' ... are these installed in the Android systems ? I didn't install anything to make the terminal work, but that app may have included Android drivers, not sure. Android is a bit of a black box to me ...
I am also using an Android tablet and a GPS mouse and an Ais receiver.

For the data input I'am using a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 instead of the Android.

The Raspberry also works as an Multiplexer and a Wifi access point. Has 4 USB connectors. The input data is send out wireless.

And with the Wifi netwerk I get the data in my Android OpenCPN version. The Android tablet and also my smartphone showing GPS and AIS in OpenCPN. And without any cables.

It also has a VNC server. And as an VNC client it is also possible to use the Raspberry OpenCPN Desktop.

The Raspberry can start and work stand-alone.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 05:24   #5

Sorry, my Samsung S4 has onboard GPS and it was found automatically..
The Options > Connections > Data Connections has
On Type:GPS Port: Internal Priority 1 I/O Input
Built in GPS is selected, Control Checksum is checked. Accept only sentences is checked.

I have also used my S4 GPS on a PC via Bluetooth so I believe the reverse is possible.

I notice that you can "Add" a "Serial" and there is a dropdown for adding com ports, but perhaps the Android system does not do this. There is also selection for "Network" and "Built-in Bluetooth" that would be the most likely way to gain GPS signal, depended on your GPS device.

PS: Just read this. " If I run a terminal on my Android it sees the incoming NMEA messages. It all looks good, but OpenCPN doesn't seem to see the port, and it certainly isn't reading any sentences. The terminal program never asks which port to connect to, it just does. But the DataPort selection box in OpenCPN contains no information (although I have tried typing in several numbers etc). Nothing seems to go. I am running it fast (115200), but the Windows/Navigatrix versions can take this with no problem."

Try slowing it down to 4800 baud. Is there no way to determine which Com port Terminal is using? I haven't done that yet.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...rts-in-android

Android is like Linux and uses dev/tty50, dev/tty51 etc.

I did a search on Android Com Ports
http://www.ftdichip.com/Android.htm

Perhaps there are some other better suggestions?
Certainly please post the answer so it can be recorded in documentation.
Old 30-03-2016, 15:01   #6

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

Android is like Linux and uses dev/tty50, dev/tty51 etc.

I did a search on Android Com Ports
FTDI Android

Perhaps there are some other better suggestions?
Certainly please post the answer so it can be recorded in documentation.

Linux uses /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyUSB1 etc.

Tried this with my GPS mouse and Android OpenCPN. Does not work.

"Slick USB 2 serial" seems to work. Not tried it myself.

I prefer the wireless option.
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 17:03   #7

Interesting https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rialterm&hl=en

Quote:
Slick USB 2 Serial Terminal allows you to use your tablet with your Prolific or FTDI based USB to Serial adapter and connect to your serial devices.
NO ROOTING is necessary! All you need is this app and a compatible usb to serial cable (majority of cables based off the prolific or ftdi chipset).
@Dave [bdbcat] Perhaps this would be of interest?
Quote:
Interested in integrated usb to serial support in your own app? Check out the website for info on the Slick USB 2 Serial Library.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:12   #8

Please direct all of your OpenCPN Android questions and comments to this forum

OpenCPN Android Forum

so that the AOCPN knowledge base can grow in one place

Tags
enc, opencpn, serial