Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2019, 01:39   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: ABC's
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 1,756
OpenCPN 5 left docking

As has been stated in the OpenCPN 5 release thread, left docking of the dashboard no longer works.

Yet for those that already had a left docked dashboard before upgrading. The dashboard stayed at least initially (in my installations).

So presumably it's more of a user interface problem rather than a physical limit. If that is so, then we should be able to manually manipulate the INI fail to set the dashboard in a left dock.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Here is an extract from my INI file with the dashboard docked right:

Code:
[AUI]
AUIPerspective=layout2|name=ChartCanvas;caption=;state=768;dir=5;layer=0;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bestw=1680;besth=987;minw=336;minh=981;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=-1;floaty=-1;floatw=-1;floath=-1|name=DASH_763b2d34-4e2a-4f9d-89b4-a30037dbba27;caption=Dashboard;state=2099148;dir=2;layer=1;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bestw=150;besth=366;minw=150;minh=366;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=72;floaty=494;floatw=150;floath=366|dock_size(5,0,0)=338|dock_size(2,1,0)=168|
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 01:51   #2
Registered User
 
yachtvalhalla's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Posts: 1,020
Re: OpenCPN 5 left docking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
As has been stated in the OpenCPN 5 release thread, left docking of the dashboard no longer works.
Yet for those that already had a left docked dashboard before upgrading. The dashboard stayed at least initially (in my installations).
So presumably it's more of a user interface problem rather than a physical limit. If that is so, then we should be able to manually manipulate the INI fail to set the dashboard in a left dock.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Here is an extract from my INI file with the dashboard docked right:
Code:
[AUI]
AUIPerspective=layout2|name=ChartCanvas;caption=;state=768;dir=5;layer=0;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bestw=1680;besth=987;minw=336;minh=981;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=-1;floaty=-1;floatw=-1;floath=-1|name=DASH_763b2d34-4e2a-4f9d-89b4-a30037dbba27;caption=Dashboard;state=2099148;dir=2;layer=1;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bestw=150;besth=366;minw=150;minh=366;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=72;floaty=494;floatw=150;floath=366|dock_size(5,0,0)=338|dock_size(2,1,0)=168|
Help me understand your problem.

When I launch the Dashboard it is on the left canvas. But I can move it anywhere I choose on the left or right canvas and where I close it will remain on the next launch.


Warning. If you have re-sized the Dashboard do not close it with the red 'X' but use the taskbar icon to toggle it off. Otherwise any vertical change you have made will not be retained and can only be changed again after restarting OpenCPN.


Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (363).png
Views:	100
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	188772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (364).png
Views:	100
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	188773  

yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 03:13   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: ABC's
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 1,756
Re: OpenCPN 5 left docking

My problem is there is no left canvas for me in OpenCPN 5, not on my mac, windows, or linux machine. I have top, bottom, or right, but it is not possible to dock anything at all left, no matter how far I drag it to the edge of the screen.

It's not an isolated problem either, at least one other person in the OpenCPN release thread had the same issue.

I have made a short video, but can't seem to attach it as a .mov

Here it is uploaded elsewhere.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uVt...ew?usp=sharing
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 04:57   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Helsingborg
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,891
Re: OpenCPN 5 left docking

It looks like there is a design decision to only allow right docking in O5.
I can see some problems with left docking, such as interference with the global toolbar.
Still want left docking? Enter a feature request in the tracker.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 05:12   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: ABC's
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 1,756
Re: OpenCPN 5 left docking

I think it can be done in the INI files though. I just need to know how.

As I said, when I first installed OpenCPN 5, my dashboard was docked left.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 21:00   #6
Registered User
 
yachtvalhalla's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Posts: 1,020
Re: OpenCPN 5 left docking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
My problem is there is no left canvas for me in OpenCPN 5, not on my mac, windows, or linux machine. I have top, bottom, or right, but it is not possible to dock anything at all left, no matter how far I drag it to the edge of the screen.

/1uVtsB_Ur40pgVpNJUZuXxq_pWyR4G8sB/view?usp=sharing

What do you mean by 'docking'? Are you trying to remove it from view, or turn it off, or what?


Clicking on the taskbar icon turns the Dashboard on and off.


Don't understand your problem.


Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 00:41   #7
Registered User
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 999
Re: OpenCPN 5 left docking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
What do you mean by 'docking'?
snip...

Terry

#1: Right docking
#2 : Up docking
#3 : no left docking


PS I fail to see the purpose of this docking. It permanently takes valuable chart screen space... But I may have missed some pro...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	188861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 001.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	188862  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 002.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	188863  
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 01:37   #8
Registered User
 
yachtvalhalla's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Posts: 1,020
Re: OpenCPN 5 left docking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
#1: Right docking
#2 : Up docking
#3 : no left docking
PS I fail to see the purpose of this docking. It permanently takes valuable chart screen space... But I may have missed some pro...
OK I see that you mean where it is located on the screen after launching/displaying the Dashboard.

But you control how much data is in the Dashboard and how large it is. You have a lot of information being shown and to have that which you have chosen to be important is taking up the space.

And it's not permanent .. you toggle it on and off as needed with the taskbar icon.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 03:03   #9
Moo
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 804
Re: OpenCPN 5 left docking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
OK I see that you mean where it is located on the screen after launching/displaying the Dashboard.

But you control how much data is in the Dashboard and how large it is. You have a lot of information being shown and to have that which you have chosen to be important is taking up the space.

And it's not permanent .. you toggle it on and off as needed with the taskbar icon.

Terry
Docking is different to just float positioning the dashboard. It actually attaches to the edge of the screen. It then behaves as a screen boundary so reduces the viewport.

It is extremely useful to show data that you want permanantly displayed. I have it showing everything that I log: time, date, position, COG, SOG, HDG, STW, DPT, App wind, and coursor position and distance and bearing to cursor. This dash remains permanently docked (used to be to the left but now will have to be the right)

I have a separate dash for Wx: TWD, TWS, Bar, air temp, water temp, humidity etc.. , then the wind ribbon, and barometer as stand alone instruments. The last three are easily toggled on and off by right clicking the docked dash.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 09:59   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baikal
Posts: 583
Re: OpenCPN 5 left docking

left vertical docking does not work
simultaneous docking of vertical and horizontal layout does not work.
I managed to dock at the same time only two horizontal locations from below and from above, vertical right does not give docking

I wrote about this in the tracker but no reaction
https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...2500&pagenum=2
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:57   #11
Registered User
 
NahanniV's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Posts: 1,321
Re: OpenCPN 5 left docking

Here's the config line from my Raspberry Pi still configured with left docked dashboard after upgrading to O5.

Code:
[AUI]
AUIPerspective=layout2|name=ChartCanvas;caption=;state=768;dir=5;layer=0;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bestw=393;besth=646;minw=204;minh=648;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=-1;floaty=-1;floatw=-1;floath=-1|name=60d6e3c5-7958-4ae4-9256-b0366712b2ed;caption=Dashboard;state=2098127;dir=4;layer=0;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bestw=150;besth=165;minw=150;minh=165;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=254;floaty=158;floatw=158;floath=189|name=76e11e76-9e79-4426-ab58-42d57163469f;caption=Dashboard;state=2098124;dir=4;layer=1;row=0;pos=0;prop=100000;bestw=150;besth=583;minw=150;minh=583;maxw=-1;maxh=-1;floatx=50;floaty=50;floatw=150;floath=583|dock_size(5,0,0)=214|dock_size(4,1,0)=216|
I have the toolbar set to autohide. In hidden mode it obscures a small portion of dashboard (top left corner), but makes no difference in my case.
__________________
Cheers,
JM
nahannivatsea.blogspot.ca
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dock, Docking, enc, opencpn

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can a Rigid Dinghy Be Made 'Self-Bailing' when Left Moored to the Dock ? David_Old_Jersey Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 19 04-03-2013 06:56
Willard Bowsprit: bungholes and rigging left SV Someday Came Construction, Maintenance & Refit 11 19-11-2008 22:56
Left or Right Turn Ex-Calif Pacific & South China Sea 4 21-07-2008 08:01
Left Side Profile Information Talbot Forum Tech Support & Site Help 8 20-05-2006 03:06

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.