Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2019, 01:31   #16

Re: Opencpn 5 exporting to GPX poor performance

Thanks for looking into this, much appreciated. Glad you are getting into the cause of this.
J805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 02:23   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

So a detailed look at this it seems to be that because the progress dialog makes a Yield call to the event processing loop then between each update of the progress bar there are many timer messages getting processed. This takes some time and for reasons I can't quite explain the amount of time increases the longer the number of GPX points exported. So the progress bar gets progressively slower over time.

On Windows the solution is simple. Don't use wxGenericProgressDialog and use instead wxProgressDialog. This does not Yield because it uses the native Windows progress bar and then the entire export takes about 2 seconds on my test system. I need to check some GTK systems to see if it also will work there. On systems that are GTK based the progress dialog may work differently. Also, someone would have to test on a Mac too since progress dialog may be different there as well.

For systems that do not have a native progress bar feature there is no simple solution.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 17:13   #18

I don't have a Mac, just windows systems but would be more than happy to do any additional testing on these if you need me to.

Thanks
J805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 04:54   #19

Boat: Valiant 42

I have tested a fix on Linux and Windows. There is low probability that the fix will adversely affect Mac systems.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn