Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 09:02   #46

Re: OpenCPN 5.6.2 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello all OpenCPN users...
OpenCPN Version 5.6.2 for linux and variants is now available for all supported platforms in the Ubuntu OpenCPN Production PPA repository.

https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn/

Sorry for the delay.
...and
Thanks for your continued interest and support.
Dave
It works for me on two Kubuntu laptops.

One thing that I find confusing is there are 2 separate menus to control vector type charts.
One is under Options/Charts/Vector Charts Display, but the other one is under Chart Panel Options/ Vector charts. It took me ages to find that one when I could not get my 2 laptops to agree.

Also on the 1st one, in vector charts display, the "User Standard Objects" is greyed out and can't be accessed.

John
But other than that, I like it. The connection to my AIS transponder is fantastic.
jjjacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:47   #47

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjacq View Post
Also on the 1st one, in vector charts display, the "User Standard Objects" is greyed out and can't be accessed.
You first have to select Display Category "User Standard" on at least one of the chart lower right "hamburger" menus. After that you can enter Options->Charts->Vector charts and make your selection.
The Display Category "All" will be the same as all of "User Standard"
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 16:06   #48

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenRose View Post
Which is the proper download file for the upgrade ....the "exe" file or the "pkg" file.

It depends on which OS you have. The .exe is for Windows and the .pkg is for the Mac.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:32   #49

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
Critical bug preventing track recording

When I start track recording, the Start Track button stays unchanged and does not change to End Track.
The track is recorded as expected, but there is no way to stop recording.
If I use what should be the End Track button but is actually still the Start Track button, it deactivates recording and starts a new track, wiping the existing track. I have found no way of keeping a track

OCPN 5.6.2 on macOS Monterey.

To troubleshoot this, I created a script for the JavaScript plugin (attached in two parts because of 1kb file size limit - you need to glue the two parts together) which logs the relevant messages sent by OCPN. I run this in one console and the driver.js script in another. When I change course in the driver, a trackpoint gets recorded. etc.

This script has shown up another issue: When I start navigating to a position, OCPN sends OCPN_WPT_ACTIVATED & OCPN_RTE_ACTIVATED messages with the correct message bodies. But if I then deactivate the route, it sends a OCPN_TRK_DEACTIVATED message which contains a OCPN_RTE_DEACTIVATED message. Correct message sent with wrong message ID

Another issue: in the Tracks window, th Properties button is sometimes not active. This might possibly arise because of the irregular track status.
Attached Files
File Type: txt message_testing_A.txt (482 Bytes, 13 views)
File Type: txt message_testing_B.txt (912 Bytes, 15 views)
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:48   #50

Boat: Dehler Optima 106
Re: Critical bug preventing track recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipole View Post
When I start track recording, the Start Track button stays unchanged and does not change to End Track.
The track is recorded as expected, but there is no way to stop recording.
If I use what should be the End Track button but is actually still the Start Track button, it deactivates recording and starts a new track, wiping the existing track. I have found no way of keeping a track

OCPN 5.6.2 on macOS Monterey.
Works in MacOs Big Sur. May help to locate the error.

Manfred
Aldebaran17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:53   #51

Boat: Moody

I have OCPN 5.6.2 installed on PI and on Windows 10. On neither platform can I seem to get persistent tracking of targets defined in MMSI Properties to show.

In older versions, I could define a MMSI, set persistent, and then the display would show the track of the vessel automatically and retain it until deleted of hidden. I can't seem to get that to work in recent versions.

Has anyone got this working, please?
John2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:27   #52

Re: Critical bug preventing track recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran17 View Post
Works in MacOs Big Sur. May help to locate the error.
Manfred
I have tested further with all plugins disabled - still a problem.
I then tested back with OCPN 5.6.0 and 5.2 - still the problem.
(5.2 uses a previous version of wxWidgets but still a problem.)

It was definitely working last summer when I was sailing and recording my track.

But I have updated to Monterey since then, so this looks like the culprit. Can another Monterey user check please?
It's very odd. Difficult to imagine why Monterey could cause this.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:31   #53

Boat: Phantom 19

I don't think it has anything to do with Monterey. And while I can't reproduce your exact report, I sure just made OpenCPN crash on tracking logic while feeding it with two concurrent data feeds, enabling/disabling track recording multiple times and deleting the active track (Which actually was when it crashed, the behavior was somewhat "weird" already before).
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:43   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Monterey. And while I can't reproduce your exact report, I sure just made OpenCPN crash on tracking logic while feeding it with two concurrent data feeds, enabling/disabling track recording multiple times and deleting the active track (Which actually was when it crashed, the behavior was somewhat "weird" already before).
Kind of agree with you. I had a crash when quitting OCPN with track recording active arising from destruction of track recording resources:

Code:
Thread 0 Crashed::  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	    0x7ff814a54112 __pthread_kill + 10
1   libsystem_pthread.dylib       	    0x7ff814a8a233 pthread_kill + 263
2   libsystem_c.dylib             	    0x7ff8149d6d10 abort + 123
3   libsystem_malloc.dylib        	    0x7ff8148b43e2 malloc_vreport + 548
4   libsystem_malloc.dylib        	    0x7ff8148b75ed malloc_report + 151
5   OpenCPN                       	       0x10775c93f Track::~Track() + 127
6   OpenCPN                       	       0x10775d2dd ActiveTrack::~ActiveTrack() + 205
7   OpenCPN                       	       0x10775d425 non-virtual thunk to ActiveTrack::~ActiveTrack() + 21
8   libwx_baseu-3.1.5.0.0.dylib   	       0x108850235 wxListBase::Clear() + 181
9   OpenCPN                       	       0x10738f4f2 MyApp::OnExit() + 3010
10  libwx_baseu-3.1.5.0.0.dylib   	       0x108847d46 wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**) + 70
11  OpenCPN                       	       0x10737f094 main + 20
12  dyld                          	       0x1097684fe start + 462
I hope something can be sorted soon before. we depart for the season next week - recording track is really important to me.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:03   #55

More tests while running my script.
With a fresh start of OCPN which, in my case does not automatically start track recording, clicking on Start Track causes OCPN to send:
  1. OCPN_TRK_POINT_ADDED
  2. OCPN_TRK_ACTIVATED
So it is recording the first point and then reporting recording is activated.
Any change of course causes a new Trackpoint added as expected.
If I then click on the start recording button again, OCPN sends
  1. OCPN_TRK_POINT_ADDED
  2. OCPN_TRK_POINT_ADDED
  3. OCPN_TRK_ACTIVATED
I guess 1. is the rounding off entry for the existing recording and 2. the starting point for the new track. So what is missing is the OCPN_TRK_DEACTIVATED which should happen between 1 & 2 above.
If the OCPN_TRK_DEACTIVATED process is not running, it explains why the track is not saved and perhaps why there is a crash this area when OCPN closes.

That a OCPN_TRK_DEACTIVATED message gets sent when a route ends (see my report above) points to a tangle in track deactivation.
Old 04-05-2022, 16:48   #56
Marine Service Provider

Antipole...
Let me get this straight.
Leaving aside the message stream debugging (a clever idea, btw..), and all discussion of routes and JS scripts...

Simplify:

When you push the track icon in in toolbar to start recording, the tool icon itself does or does not literally change in appearance, and become highlighted?

If it does not become highlighted, this points to some simpler problem with your device. Over many years, this problem has literally never been reported.

Possibly bounce/jitter on your mouse button?

What happens with Menubar->Navigate->EnableTracking ??

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:22   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Antipole...
When you push the track icon in in toolbar to start recording, the tool icon itself does or does not literally change in appearance, and become highlighted?

If it does not become highlighted, this points to some simpler problem with your device. Over many years, this problem has literally never been reported.

Possibly bounce/jitter on your mouse button?
Nothing wrong with my button pushing. Clicking on the Start Track button does start a new track and cause the relevant other actions. The button does not change however.

Something must have been locked up in my system. I had already tried restarting OCPN but this morning things are working - almost

Quote:
What happens with Menubar->Navigate->EnableTracking ??
Menubar starts and stops tracking as expected, except that:
  • No OCPN_TRK_DEACTIVATED message is sent
  • In the tracks window, the button still shows Start Track (not highlighted), while it should indicate tracking is in progress.
When recording is active, the current track entry is emboldened, and when tracking is disabled, it is unemboldened.

So as of today
  1. The Start Track button starts recording a new track but does not change in any way. I expect it to either change to Stop Track or highlight to indicate track recording is 'on'
  2. Clicking on the Start Track button while recording is in progress causes OCPN to start a new track. A final trackpoint is added to the old track and an initial one to the new track and OCPN_TRK_POINT_ADDED messages sent. A OCPN_TRK_ACTIVATED message is sent confirming the start of the new track. But no OCPN_TRK_DEACTIVATED message is sent when the old tack is terminated.
  3. Because the button always starts a new track, there is no way of stopping track recording from the Tracks pane. However, recording can be stopped via Menubar->Navigate->EnableTracking

So my panic is over - apologies for the alarm.
The above three are now just bugs to be squashed. Shall I raise a FlySpray ticket?
Old 05-05-2022, 06:40   #58
Marine Service Provider

Antipole...

"Shall I raise a FlySpray ticket?"
Yes, please.

Anyone else able to reproduce symptoms like this?
"Clicking on the Start Track button does start a new track... The button does not change however."

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:09   #59

Hover over icon when tracking is not active produces tooltext "Enable Tracking".
Clicking the icon changes the tooltext to "Disable Tracking" and reverses the background of the icon.
Clicking it again changes the tooltext back to "Enable Tracking" and turns off the reversed background on the icon.

Windows 10 21H2.
OpenCPN 5.6.2
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:23   #60

Oddity with layers under v5.6.2

I have two layer files.
(1) the UK forecast areas from the layers library
(2) A consolidated track log from our round the UK cruise 2013-14.

Under OCPN 5.6.2, only the forecast areas are shown. The track is not. It is listed in the Layers tab and there it shows the correct number of items. It just doesn't display the track.

If I launch OCPN 5.2 or 5.6, both display fine.
But under 5.6.2 the tracks do not display.

As a test, I have tried importing the .gpx file as tracks (not layer).
Under 5.2 & 5.6 they import as expected and show in the list of tracks.
Under 5.6.2, nothing appears in the list.

So 5.6.2 is finding the items in the .gpx file but not displaying the tracks.
Any ideas what might be different in 5.6.2 ?

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn