Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 16:46   #1

OpenCPN 4.99 not compatible with any plugins?

Just built the latest github clone, but cant install any plugins. I thought OpenCPN was supposed to be backward compatible with plugins!? I guess I just wasted a bunch of time?
THEMuffinMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:29   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN 4.99 not compatible with any plugins?

TheMuffinMan...

As we have said often, the github master branch is an untested sandbox full of new code, interfaces, and ideas. We have never asserted that it works usefully on any given day. And we won't so assert until we actually go to Beta test on something.

That said, on any given day master branch will build (thanks to C.I process), and experienced testers on the bleeding edge can give us useful feedback.

I suppose you are building for Windows? We know that Plugins for Windows will need re-building for 4.99 due to the wxWidgets API update. This will be an unavoidable speed bump, I'm afraid. But necessary in order to stay current with wxWidgets advances.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:58   #3

Thanks for the response. I get it, it was mostly was a mistake on my part for checking out the latest source. Had some troubles getting it to build and everything and so spent some time on it.. Now reverting to 4.8.2. Also wanted to confirm that there wasn't some known way to get 4.99 to support older plugins - sounds like not.

Cheers
THEMuffinMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 18:12   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

The posts below, have confirmed to me without any doubt, we are astride two islands at the moment.

Old World
OpenCPN v4.8.2 & Plugins, API 1.15, wxWidgets 3.0.2, MSVC++2013 or other tools. Advantage: Plugins for Opencpn can be compiled and run.

New World
OpenCPN v4.99 & no external Plugins, API 1.16(?), wxWidgets 3.1.1, MSVC++2017 or other tools. Advantage: Compile at the current Master Head.

Is this correct?

IMHO There are still some plugins that need some final work in order to "pack v4.8.2 away" as "history". Indeed a few PI have had some significant improvements and changes and need a chance to settle in.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 05:50   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

I compiled last week the 499. with support for MBTiles in an Rpi with OpenPlotter and the plugins work correctly. Even the oesENC mapping plugin.

I suppose it will be a problem related to the compilation for windows because in the Rpi everything seems to work... even the support for MbTiles, more or less...
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 07:19   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Pinguino, I guess you are right about Linux, when you have recompiled and installed all the plugins as a part of the process of compiling 4.99. Linux has a nice setup for users.

Windows is a little different. All the plugins need to be recompiled with the new API, which is not done on user's machines normally.

The reason this is necessary is every time wxWidgets is changed (IE wxWidgets 3.0.2 to 3.1.1 in Opencpn v4.99) the old Plugins lose forward compatibility and the newer compiled plugins (with wxWidgets 3.1.1) do not work with the older version of OpenCPN.

Nice to know it works for you (and those compiling Linux)!

For the time being I am going to stick with compiling PI for v4.8.2 using wxWigets 3.0.2 because there are still Plugins that are being improved, debugged and updated with the most recent language files etc.

I am stating to wonder if we should not have all the 4.8.2 PI archived somewhere, or remain available on the website for awhile when we do start compiling them for the next version.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 07:20   #7

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
I compiled last week the 499. with support for MBTiles in an Rpi with OpenPlotter and the plugins work correctly. Even the oesENC mapping plugin.

I suppose it will be a problem related to the compilation for windows because in the Rpi everything seems to work... even the support for MbTiles, more or less...
At this moment the incompatible changes are present only on Windows and macOS, Linux stays with wx3.0. For now.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 21:57   #8

How to compile plug-ins for 4.99 for Windows?

upd//
added file opencpn.lib in the folder with built-in plug-ins, everything was compiled and works under Win
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 16:27   #9

It does work (4.99.0); but why did you change all the fonts settings?
It does not make sense to do that.
Windows 10 Pro ed. up to date.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 17:05   #10
Marine Service Provider

P_Dub...

Fonts not changed intentionally.
Do you have any font change examples, please?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 17:49   #11

I ended up with Arial 13 as compare to Calibri 10. Secondly the appearane on the screen was way oversize for the picture (buoys, names, etc. Thridly, I got fed up and did remove it from my system. It was working ok, but not for a scrren size of 15 inches.
Old 08-04-2018, 17:57   #12

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
I ended up with Arial 13 as compare to Calibri 10. Secondly the appearane on the screen was way oversize for the picture (buoys, names, etc. Thridly, I got fed up and did remove it from my system. It was working ok, but not for a scrren size of 15 inches.
P_Dub...

Just to understand: You ended up having to switch the font to Arial 13 or the fonts were switched for you?
The appearance of what (fonts, boat icons (for own ship? For AIS targets? Both?), everything?) was oversize for the picture (what does this mean?) Are you aware of the scaling factor logic extended in 4.8.2 (Toolbox -> User interface tab)? What settings are you using there? Is the size of your screen (Toolbox->Display->Advanced) detected correctly?
By any chance do you have a screenshot?

As usually, if we do not know what exactly needs our attention, we will not be able to pay attention to it and you will stay pissed for much longer.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:32   #13

I have an idea, I thing this might have been done by my Windows defender.
If you dont turn it off for the installation it might be trouble.
As far as using the functionality of the program, there is no problems.
One thing I would like is having the course indicated (000°)
normally above the course line.
Best Regards.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:48   #14

That was the problem. swith off the Windows defender for the installation and it is OK.

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug