Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2016, 12:30   #1

Boat: Beneteau M500 50'3"
Open GL

I have been encountering 'release 4.4.0' not responding crashes, the crashes would occur just as the charts were loading, discovered that not checking the OpenGL in preferences has seemed to solve the problem, after two weeks off trouble free use I checked the OpenGL box and it took about two minutes before I got the 'not responding' message, once the message appears it will reappear every time you boot and try to load charts, the only way I have been able to get OpenCPN to work again is to go through the deinstall/reinstall cycle and make sure I do not check the OpenGL
benet250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 12:37   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Open GL

Your operating system and the PC you are using?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 15:18   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

if you post your log file we might be able to blacklist your driver.

In any case, you don't need to reinstall to deselect opengl.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 20:47   #4

Boat: Beneteau M500 50'3"

Windows 10 and an ASUS TF 810C,
also if I do not need to reinstall then how do I uncheck the OpenGL box under preferences when the program is unresponsive, every time I waited when I received the dialog box asking do I want to close the program or wait the program would just close after about twenty minutes, if you know a better way then please inform as the program would become unresponsive as soon as it attempted to load charts which (I believe) is part of the initialization sequence,
benet250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 06:14   #5

Boat: Phantom 19

benet250...
In case you have bad luck and your machine has badly broken OpenGL drivers, which seems to be this case, you can always start OpenCPN using "OpenCPN x.y.z - No OpenGL" from the start menu (And replace the desktop shortcut with it if you like)
To just disable OpenGL you can also manually edit your C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.ini configuration file and set OpenGL=0 there. Or delete the config file completely to get back to "factory settings". (OpenCPN must not run while you edit/delete the config file)

If you want to resolve your problem, look for updated drivers for your graphic card. It would also be handy if you could post your logfile so that we can blacklist the broken drivers your machine has for the next release.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote