Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 22:12   #1

Boat: roberts 25
open cpn wont( or cant) acquire satellite.

Please be kind, despite a career in banking and associated computers I'm really a newbie when it comes to laptops/windows etc.

I have open cpn version 4 installed on 2 laptops, one is a Lenovo g50 with windows 8 the other is a Compaq with windows 2000. the Lenovo uses a global sat gps dongle/receiver. the Compaq utilises an older dongle. both dongles have baud rate of 4800.

I am rebuilding my yacht so I haven't used open cpn in quite some time, probably more than 12 months ago when I downloaded version 4, At that time both laptops worked Ok.

My partner and I were discussing our soon to be cruising area yesterday, and in response to a question I fired up the Lenovo to show her the chart, At that time I noticed it was taking what seemed a long time to acquire satellites, in fact we gave up and went home. Today I have checked the coms port numbers, the baud rate ( for some reason this was 9800 on both laptops so I reset it to 4800) I have deleted open cpn and reinstalled it and have also done the same to the global sat program.The latter has a display in a separate program where I can see it is picking up satellites and it is displaying lat and long but open cpn does not seem to be getting the info. I have centred the map over my position, cant think of anything else. I have a hard copy of the user manual and have followed the instructions for setting up gps. I must be missing something, HELP. regards Peter
Roberts25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 22:53   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: open cpn wont( or cant) acquire satellite.

Peter,

first check that the Globalsat program is not running at the same time - only one program can access a COM port at the same time.

Are you sure about the COM port? If it is a USB-COM it can change when unplugging/plugging it. You can check the COM port number in the Windows Device Manager and you should see the available COM port port as well in OCPN from Connections/Properties/COM-Port drop down list.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 23:11   #3

hi Hubert, yep I checked the coms port no's as I was aware that plugging the global sat usb into a different usb slot on the pc would have a different com port number, have tried deleting all other serial port numbers other than that required, but that didn't work. Prior to this occasion I had all the relative coms port numbers listed so I could plug the gps into any of the usb slots on the pc
Old 31-01-2016, 23:57   #4

update. on the offchance that something had changed I deleted the driver for my globalsat G-star IV usb antenna and installed the latest driver using the link from this forum, but to no avail. on the Compaq laptop I deleted the antenna program and re installed it from the disc that came with it, that didn't work either.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:38   #5

i have a navibe usb gps it wont pick up satellites unless it's outside.
when i first set it up inside the house no signal..
but given a clear view of the sky it works..
it drove me crazy i could see it in device manager, the com port and baud rate was right. i could see it working in the debugger.. works ok now..
jim321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 22:06   #6

Just as an aside, I live on my boat. I have only ever used open cpn in the yacht with the gps aerial out side on the coach roof. As previously stated both laptops worked less than 12 months ago. I again deleted the program today and re installed the earlier version i originally obtained 2 years ago. Same problem, the satellite indicator in top r/h corner remains red. Strangely enough i inadvertantly est a m.o.b. position. In trying to delete it i clicked on "send info to gps" this appears to work and the satellite icon turns green momentarily and the gps status on the dashboard displays satellights and the compas icon and speedometer temporarily display info
Old 01-02-2016, 23:19   #7

Boat: Liberty 49

I have this problem myself from time to time and solve it by going to OpenCPN/Tools/Connections and ticking the box "Show NMEA debug window." Maybe it will work for you. Some GPSs seem to need a "kick" to get them started it seems.

Good luck,

Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:06   #8

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikecoin View Post
I have this problem myself from time to time and solve it by going to OpenCPN/Tools/Connections and ticking the box "Show NMEA debug window." Maybe it will work for you. Some GPSs seem to need a "kick" to get them started it seems.

Good luck,

Mike
As far as I know there are GPS devices floating around which are intented for use of car navigation (street maps). When the car stops and the device doesn't see any move it stops working obviously to safe battery power.
These GPS devices are useless for boat navigation.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:26   #9

the only other thing can think of doing is to try a different usb port.
then check device manager to see if the com port changes if so change that setting in open cpn..
hope this helps
Old 02-02-2016, 16:13   #10

Told you guys I was an IDIOT when it came to computers, although in my defence I only had the paper documentation which came with an earlier version of cpn, which left a lot to be desired, also lack of use made my brain lethargic. So basically it was the info I was putting into cpn as regards the port number, I was only entering the port Number i.e. 7 or 8 etc. as that was what had been displayed in already allocated ports, when I should have been inputting an alphanumeric i.e. COM7 or COM8 etc. It was only by chance that I discovered the error, as in every instance I had deleted previously existing "ports" from cpn. I had my "better" glasses on and finally saw the drop down list next to the "com port" number field. The language on board was quite "BAD".
Anyway both systems now up and running, thankyou to those who suggested ideas, cheers Peter
Old 03-02-2016, 02:07   #11

good to hear you got them working

Tags
open cpn, satellite