Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31   #16

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Open CPN Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Thomas...
I've tried to explain function and appearance in attached print-out. Check if this helps to describe.

Håkan
If you click on links in the "Table of Contents" that is just one word -Zooming, AIS,Plugins or FAQ, what happens then? Are the links working.
I suspect that the problem could be that in the documentation, the "_" between words have been replaced with spaces ( %20 ). Quite a bit about problems with anchor links in IE on the Net.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59   #17

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweller View Post
I just downloaded the latest Mac version: OpenCPN 3.1.1319. When you click on "Help" all you get is a link to the online manual at OpenCPN.org.

Maybe version 3.2, when it's available ??????
Copy the unzipped folders and files from http://topperdiek.de/dl/doc-de3.2.zip to the Contents/SharedSupport/doc/ folder. The zip contains also english files.
Beta-versions comes with an empty doc folder.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25   #18

Boat: Phantom 19

Guys...
Although I can't see the ActiveX stuff on my rather "special" XP builder VM and don't have any idea where it could come from, I can see the problems with anchors on IE8 there. Let aside it's IE's fault...
I've made an experimental rebuild of the Windows installer with some modifications to the included help file structure and anchor naming - please give it a go and let me know if it solves the problems you are observing. It's available at http://opencpn.org/ocpn/downloads/be....0-1_setup.exe

Thomas...
Code:
sed -e "s/OpenCPN%20User%20Manual_files/images/g" help_en_US.html| sed -e "s/%20//g" >tmp.html && mv tmp.html help_en_US.html && mv OpenCPN\ User\ Manual_files images && grep -o "id=\"[a-zA-Z ]*\"" help_en_US.html | grep " " | awk '{ replacement=$0; gsub(" ", "", replacement);  system("sed -ibak -e \047s/"$0"/"replacement"/g\047 help_en_US.html");  }' && rm help_en_US.htmlbak
is the magic to be applied on the docs exported from the wiki. Yes, you can see what my current job is from that

CarCode...
The modified code base is at https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/tree/manual - if you are still doing your builds on the Mac, could you test it there and let me know if it makes it better there or if there's still something rotten?

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Copy the unzipped folders and files from http://topperdiek.de/dl/doc-de3.2.zip to the Contents/SharedSupport/doc/ folder. The zip contains also english files.
Beta-versions comes with an empty doc folder.
Thanks. Had a hard time finding

Contents/SharedSupport/doc/

until I realized it was within OpenCPN.

Works fine

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!

I'm guessing this will be in the new Mac version ??????
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32   #20
cruiser

you can "download" it in this way, or even print it and make booklet like I did

click the button with "?", click the "help" tab. right click select all, copy and paste in word or whatever you are using
and save as...."OpenCpn Manual", where you wont, my documents, desktop or whatever

transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:41   #21

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
If you click on links in the "Table of Contents" that is just one word -Zooming, AIS,Plugins or FAQ, what happens then? Are the links working.
I suspect that the problem could be that in the documentation, the "_" between words have been replaced with spaces ( %20 ). Quite a bit about problems with anchor links in IE on the Net.

Thomas
Yes, correct! "Zooming", "AIS", "Plugins" etc are working fine.

A very quick try to replace all "%20" with "_" was to simple didn't work. I have to make a less lazy and more investigative change. Or do you a quick fix?.

Thanks
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51   #22

Hakan...
As you can see in my post above, a bit more magic is needed Could you try to reinstall with the version I linked there and let me know if it works as expected? Don't worry, it's stock 3.2, just the manual is replaced with the modified one...

Pavel
Old 02-03-2013, 14:57   #23

Boat: Najad 34

Pavel..
Sorry.. should have read all before posting
Obviously your magic again though. Works like a charm.
And the "activeX" warning is still there but don't disturb whether I accept it or not.
Many thanks
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Guys...
Although I can't see the ActiveX stuff on my rather "special" XP builder VM and don't have any idea where it could come from, I can see the problems with anchors on IE8 there. Let aside it's IE's fault...
I've made an experimental rebuild of the Windows installer with some modifications to the included help file structure and anchor naming - please give it a go and let me know if it solves the problems you are observing. It's available at http://opencpn.org/ocpn/downloads/be....0-1_setup.exe

Thomas...
Code:
sed -e "s/OpenCPN%20User%20Manual_files/images/g" help_en_US.html| sed -e "s/%20//g" >tmp.html && mv tmp.html help_en_US.html && mv OpenCPN\ User\ Manual_files images && grep -o "id=\"[a-zA-Z ]*\"" help_en_US.html | grep " " | awk '{ replacement=$0; gsub(" ", "", replacement);  system("sed -ibak -e \047s/"$0"/"replacement"/g\047 help_en_US.html");  }' && rm help_en_US.htmlbak
is the magic to be applied on the docs exported from the wiki. Yes, you can see what my current job is from that

CarCode...
The modified code base is at https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/tree/manual - if you are still doing your builds on the Mac, could you test it there and let me know if it makes it better there or if there's still something rotten?

Thanks

Pavel
Pavel, I don't see any difference in the "modified code base at https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN". Okay, anchors spaces are filled with %20. The image folder name still contain spaces. There is no need, an anchor or folder name contains spaces or the filler sign %20. Extensive use of stylesheets might also cause problems with some browsers.
Keep the html as simple as possible. Resize pictures with any graphic program before they are embedded in html. This may help to load the html faster und beeing independant of browser types. The manual html file is not as much big to need tools like sed etc. A simple editor will do with the benefit to see the html code. A human made html file is always better than these code generators for a small project like this. They generate too much overhead for nothing.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:06   #25

Gerhard...
The link I posted - https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/tree/manual leads to the manual branch with the modifications, there are no spaces and no %20's and the images are moved to a folder without spaces... That's why I ask you to check it, because I remembered that this was exactly what you were asking for.

Sorry, but I will probably always prefer to spend 1.2 seconds running sed and awk than having to do any manual labour every time the wiki is exported. Is there anything technically bad about sed? As far as I can see, the bundled manual also uses no CSS...

Pavel
Old 03-03-2013, 08:01   #26

Pavel,
strange, "Clone to Mac" Button seems not to work with branch manual here. Second time same old files.
I cloned the other way and it seems OK now.

Gerhard
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09   #27

Re: Open CPN Manual : discrepancy between the user manual and the software

Version 3 stable : I believe there is a discrepancy between the user manual and the software :

Clics on « arrow up » and « arrow down » produce the opposite of what is expected from the manual Scaling Charts | Official OpenCPN Homepage :
- A clic on the icone « arrow down » produces in fact « Will scale up/in to the next chart of greater detail but less area, if available, within the current view »
- And conversely the « arrow up » produces in fact « Will scale down/out to the next chart of less detail but greater area, if available, within the current view »

Which is the opposite of what is written in the manual

Appears even more clearly when the "journeyman" style is activated. In that style, the graphical meaning of the icons is less ambigus
Robert_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:46   #28

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Open CPN Manual : discrepancy between the user manual and the software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_1 View Post
Version 3 stable : I believe there is a discrepancy between the user manual and the software :

Clics on « arrow up » and « arrow down » produce the opposite of what is expected from the manual Scaling Charts | Official OpenCPN Homepage :
- A clic on the icone « arrow down » produces in fact « Will scale up/in to the next chart of greater detail but less area, if available, within the current view »
- And conversely the « arrow up » produces in fact « Will scale down/out to the next chart of less detail but greater area, if available, within the current view »

Which is the opposite of what is written in the manual

Appears even more clearly when the "journeyman" style is activated. In that style, the graphical meaning of the icons is less ambigus
Spot on. Thank you!
Now corrected.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 15:52   #29

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: Open CPN Manual - Portable OpenCPN

The list of folders for the Portable OpenCPN shown in both the online and offline versions contain the folder 'wvsdata'.

I believe this should read 'gshhs'

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manuals, open cpn