Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 14:11   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 46
Open Cpn can't see GPS

Hi:
I had to reinstall Windows 7, then reinstalled Open Cpn and the Prolific driver. The computer sees the GPS puck, but Open Cpn cannot. Baud Rate is set at 4800, port is set as dictated by computer. I have reinstalled Open Cpn twice and used two different GPS units, both of which worked before reinstalling Windows and both of which are recognized by the computer and are providing NEMA output including Lat Long. Any thoughts would be really appreciated.
thanks
Steve
Steve Strand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 17:15   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Open Cpn can't see GPS

Install different soft see if this one can see the gps.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 17:38   #3

Boat: 29'

yes try a simple gps program. Rule of thumb; if it works, your O configuration is screwed up.. (VisualGPS is pretty good in the old version (4.2.105) but there's lots more that just give a position and show satellites)

If it doesn't work, Windows is screwed up. Drivers ,et al...
.... it may even be that Windows or something else is using the gps ...
whichever, remember that OpenCPN wants exclusive use. Only one app can use the gps at a time unless you get some special software.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 17:53   #4

Yes, I have Heppenstall's Com Check and it sees the GPS and reports my position. I have had it on the same computer with Open Cpn for years, never a problem. I have carefully reinstalled only a small amount of software and nothing else that requires a GPS signal as far as I can tell.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks to you both!!
Old 11-05-2016, 05:43   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Steve, this may not be the problem but always use the same usb ports for a given device, particularly with multiple devices. I label them. Windows has a USB index of all connections and my index was quite long with many old connections. So I used a small program to clean the index out and started fresh, labeling all devices and usb ports.
This may not be the problem at all but I mention it...I would review the user documentation under "Getting Started - Gps" on opencpn.

Does the correct com port show up in the connections dropdown? What is the correct com port? Do you see it working oroperly in devices?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:45   #6

Also search this form's threads for GPS for a recent thread with a long list of resources. This question is asked often.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:46   #7

Also have you rebooted?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:15   #8

Boat: Gemini 3200

Steve, you didn't mention if you were seeing data in the NMEA Debug window. Did you try that? In my experience, if data flows in the debug window you just have to wait for the GPS to get a fix. I've had it take as long as 20 minutes. If you're not getting data in the debug window there is something wrong with your connection.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:58   #9

Thanks all:
Yes, I have rebooted a number of times, have tried two different GPS units in all of my USB ports, matching the port numbers found by the computer with the ones I put into Open Cpn.
No, the NMEA Debug window shows no connectivity, but my GPS units show up on the computer port display and are read by Google Earth and a com check program. I have reinstalled Open Cpn 3 times.
Totall bewildered, I have used Open Cpn for years and we are about to head up to Alaska, I don't want to leave without it!
Steve
Old 11-05-2016, 10:06   #10
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Steve,

can you perhaps post your .ini and .log file?
And perhaps a screenshot of the Connections window?

(Btw.: I have here a Prolific USB-serial convertor - ditched. Works under Linux, but no luck with some Windows version. FTDI is just better. Optimal combined with some nice uBlox GPS chipset)

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:06   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

when we upgraded to a tablet with our old gps puck I could not get it to connect -- sent a note to the puck mfg and they said I would have to upgrade my puck as the one I have would not work with windows 7 -- got a hamlet with Bluetooth and no issues since
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:57   #12

Boat: 29'

Steve, add to bcn's request whether you are 64 bit Win7? Prolific drivers are a particular mess with it.

Also confirm you do not have anything using the gps in the background....Say, GoogleEarth via wifi...?or something. The Win7 taskmanager may give a clue here.
OpenCPN needs exclusive access to serial ports (as most applications do)

Also, Uninstalling/Reinstalling is a waste of time unless you are sure to delete the opencpn.ini from the settings folder. Click the ? mark on the toolbar to find location of these..
Deleting opencpn.ini and starting O again amounts to a re-install. You can also just rename it...say, "OLDopencpn.ini" or "opencpn.old" etc.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 02:59   #13

Perhaps using NavMonPC would help? Try getting gps signal with that.
Old 30-05-2016, 13:51   #14

Boat: Salthouse 33
Angry Re: Open Cpn can't see GPS

I am experiencing the exact same problem with a brand new Laptop dedicated to openCPN, Windows 10 a new Bu-353S4 GPS (plus have tried another)
Over the last couple of months I do not know hown many times I have installed/uninstalled OpenCPN 4.2 with the same result.

GPS functioning perfectly, data stream and showing my correct position however no matter what I do I cannot get openCPN to talk to it.
My devise manager shows it operating correctly and yet under the tools connections page I cannot get any data or flow on the NMEA debug screen
My gps has been installed in accordance with openCPN instructions and not disc supplied as recommended by many viewers I am being driven insane may go buy golf clubs!!!:
phil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 14:06   #15
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Can you please post a screenshot of the Windows device manager with the entry for the GPS, the communication tab of OCPN with the settings for the device and the OCPN log?

Another thing you might try is to open a terminal program and connect to the COM port of the GPS.

Hubert

Ps.: this comment from UsGlobalSat
BU-353S4 on Windows 10
might give us a hint that there can be a daemon installed which converts COM data for Windows Apps which need the location framework....
Speculating....
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, open cpn