Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 03:56   #16

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Open CPN and Google Earth

@Robin3... Understandable: the GE plugin actually has to run GE, which takes an undetermined amount of time to start (with various UAC scenarios on Vista or 7 perhaps too long) The other plugins don't run any other programs, so they are not affected by UAC.
There's a couple of ways to try to deal with this kind of problems:
  • Be an Administrator on the machine
  • For OpenCPN, GE (or maybe both, it's really hard to simulate these problems): Find the executable -> right click -> properties -> tab compatability -> check "Run this program as administrator" (bottom of the dialog)
  • Try some of the things from Create UAC White List | I'm Just Being Manan
@Brian... The log looks pretty normal, GE should be started.

Please check that googleearth.exe is running in Task manager after you try to open the plugin.

How fast is your machine? If it's (very) slow, the amount of time the plugin is waiting for the GE window to appear could perhaps not be long enough, but I never succeeded to reproduce this even with an old Atom netbook.
If you are on Vista or 7, you can also try to play with the UAC settings mentioned by Robin.
Anyway report back with your findings so I have more things to think about.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:57   #17

Hi Robin3
where does the UAC tun on and off?
thanks
Bran
bgrimwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:37   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrimwade View Post
Hi Robin3
where does the UAC tun on and off?
thanks
Bran
Go to Control Panel, open 'User Accounts' and there is a list of possible tasks, one is to turn UAC on/off. Click on this and there is a check box, uncheck it to turn UAC off, then press OK. You have to restart the computer for it to take effect.

Quote:
@Robin3... Understandable: the GE plugin actually has to run GE, which takes an undetermined amount of time to start (with various UAC scenarios on Vista or 7 perhaps too long) The other plugins don't run any other programs, so they are not affected by UAC.
There's a couple of ways to try to deal with this kind of problems:
  • Be an Administrator on the machine
  • For OpenCPN, GE (or maybe both, it's really hard to simulate these problems): Find the executable -> right click -> properties -> tab compatability -> check "Run this program as administrator" (bottom of the dialog)
  • Try some of the things from Create UAC White List | I'm Just Being Manan
I am the Administrator account but neither OpenCPN nor GE will allow me to 'run as administrator' as suggested, that option is greyed out. I tried it both with UAC on and off.

It is a fairly minor annoyance to remember to run with UAC off when using OpenCPN and GE, but it would be nicer not to have to!
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:34   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

I must be stupid. I just tried running OpenCPN with UAC 'ON' but opening OpenCPN by right clicking on it in the Start/programs listings and selecting 'run as administor', instead of just double clicking the program name or any of it's shortcuts. This time Google Earth plug in worked fine and UAC is still ON!

Worth a try?
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:32   #20

Hi Robin3
Thanks for the info. Tried it -but in my case it made no difference. Hopefully Pavel can come up with a fix. thanks again
Regards
Brian
bgrimwade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google earth, open cpn