Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2016, 12:03   #1

Open CPN and Canadian Chart Purchase

Hi. I am interested in using Open CPN as a planning tool in Canadian waters, specifically Vancouver Isle. I have downloaded open CPN and I see that digital Canadian Charts need to be purchased and licensed. I am willing to do so, but as this is planning, only need Canadian Chart v-3001 which is the 1:500,000 scale version of the entire Island. Would like it as ENC, I believe this is better quality. I am trying to avoid the full package purchase (for now) that is hundreds of dollars. Any suggestions of the best place to execute the single chart purchase of v-3001?

Thanks, Jay Brodmerkel, Encore, 1989 Catalina 42-3
Jay Brodmerkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 12:29   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Open CPN and Canadian Chart Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Brodmerkel View Post
Hi. I am interested in using Open CPN as a planning tool in Canadian waters, specifically Vancouver Isle. I have downloaded open CPN and I see that digital Canadian Charts need to be purchased and licensed. I am willing to do so, but as this is planning, only need Canadian Chart v-3001 which is the 1:500,000 scale version of the entire Island. Would like it as ENC, I believe this is better quality. I am trying to avoid the full package purchase (for now) that is hundreds of dollars. Any suggestions of the best place to execute the single chart purchase of v-3001?

Perhaps S-63 will fit to your idea.
You will need the S-63 UserPermit and then license the chart for three months - will be still there after that period but no more weekly updates. That's about 25€ in total where the UserPermit will serve you "eternally". The chart license at Chartworld is at 9.76€ for 1 chart & 3months.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 13:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Brodmerkel View Post

Why not buy a paper copy of 3001? US$15 CDN$20

Nautical Charts of British Columbia; BC Marine Charts; Buy British Columbia Nautical Charts from Map Town

It utility for planning is pretty minimal.

BTW - I have been around the Island a dozen times.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 13:29   #4

Thanks for that response, in going to the link for download, it is asking for and ENC user permit to allow the chart to be licensed. Is this something that is part of Open CPN and can be found as part of their documentation? Thanks
Old 26-04-2016, 13:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Why not buy a paper copy of 3001? US$15 CDN$20

Nautical Charts of British Columbia; BC Marine Charts; Buy British Columbia Nautical Charts from Map Town

It utility for planning is pretty minimal.

BTW - I have been around the Island a dozen times.
Well, yes, I have that chart in paper form. Looking to become more adapt at using digital tools for a sail plan as well. Good combo of both. Thanks.
Old 26-04-2016, 13:37   #6

And I will say I am staying at this, but getting the chart has been a real bear. It is not as easy as plug and play but I am staying on it to see this through. Hung up on the user license now.
Old 26-04-2016, 13:38   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Look for the S-63 plug-in at the documentation. In the chart chapter.

Additional information you will find at o-charts.org , the entity created from OCPN to deal with S-63 for OCPN.
About S-63 UserPermits, how OCPN deals with those etc.
Some videos how to install etc.
Don't expect miracles from official charts - they are usually precise and up-to-date. Information is related to the scale. So don't expect to see soundings at berthing level when zooming in from 1:300.000

Jackal's advice is not from another planet neither.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 13:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Look for the S-63 plug-in at the documentation. In the chart chapter.

Additional information you will find at o-charts.org , the entity created from OCPN to deal with S-63 for OCPN.
About S-63 UserPermits, how OCPN deals with those etc.
Some videos how to install etc.
Don't expect miracles from official charts - they are usually precise and up-to-date. Information is related to the scale. So don't expect to see soundings at berthing level when zooming in from 1:300.000

Jackal's advice is not from another planet neither.
Yes, thanks. I had just found that and am working through it now. Thanks. And I am not opposed to the old school either. I am not to navigate to the wide shot. Just do some sail plan of distance and days in relationship to tides/currents. Thanks.

Tags
open cpn, purchase