Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2020, 18:24   #1

Boat: Aloha 32
Open CPN 5.0Routes to Standard Horizon 300-i

I have a Standard Horrizon 300-I installed at the helm station. (This is connected to the Autopliot)

It is also connected wirelessly to a Brookhouse Imux mutiplexer as well as a direct wired via a serial port connecter becaue I used to have an old laptop computer running FUGAWI.

Fugawi has gone the way of the DoDo. So I now have open CPN. Running on an old windows 7.0 note book.

Open CPN receives all the correct information both via the Imux wireless system or the serial port connector via a seriel /USB connection. I have transfered all my way points both sucessfully via the imux and via the serial/usb connection.

Unfortunately a sailing friend deleted some 67 Routes from the Standard horrizon. The way points and the routes were maintained on the Open CPN and on my Ipad and on my cell phone. Both of which connect via the wireless Imux.

In my previous system I could transfer routes via the hard wired serial port from Fugawi to the standard Horrizon 300-I with little problem, since I no longer have Fugawi I can't seem to be able to load the GPX Route files from Open CPN to Standard Horrizon. 300-I

I have tried converting the the files in GPS Bable, I have tried transfering them using GPS Babel , i.e using the file transfere to unit system on Babel.

I have reviewed many of the posts on this site from people with the same problem (Trying to upload Route Files to Standard Horrizon)

I can't seem to transfere routes to the Standard Horrizon 300-I???
Has anyboby actual done this from Open CPN (5.0)

Regretfully my auto pilot will only work from Routes via my Standard Horrizon, The pilot will steer ok but will not “track” i.e follow a route unless it is received from the Standard Horrizon 300-I Routes.

I would love to be able to load all the routes back onto the Standard Horrizon. Without having to do it by hand.

I have a Garmin Etrex and the Open CPN transferes Routes to it without a problen via a seperate hard wired serial port.
The hrad wired serial port has no problem in transfereing all GPS Nav data without and issues.

I would welcome advice on this problem please.
Stumpert
Stumpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 14:03   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Open CPN 5.0Routes to Standard Horizon 300-i

Are you using Nmea0183 and is the computer hardwired to your nmea0183 system?

If so,

Active Route and Console

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._route_console

Route to autopilot

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...e_to_autopilot

Sending Route to an autopilot
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...o_an_autopilot

Send an Active Route to an Autopilot
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...o_an_autopilot

Basics, Route to Autopilot
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...lot_the_basics

Note:Autopilots accept one waypoint at a time.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 14:09   #3

Also does the Standard accept gpx files?
If so you can output a gpx file with one of your routes and then import to Standard Horizon.
Old 20-05-2020, 16:10   #4

Many Thanks your reply.

I am using Opencpn 5.0 and the info you have given seems to be for a different version, (The BAR on the top does not appear the same as the one I have, or may not have not configured the display properly.)

I have just managed to download opencpn 4.4 as it would appear that other users have found that this version works. ( Top bar appear the same as the info you sent) not at all like version 5.0

The Standard Horizon must take GPX files as in the past that was all I ever had and they transferred through the direct serial port which I wired into the Standard 300-i,

The routes which I am trying to down load were first produced some 7-9 years ago and were successfully transferred using FUGawi.

The original files were backed up on Xtravers and are now backed up ON Inax X as well as copies stowed on thumb drive, either as GPX files or Inav X files and KML files.

This serial port works and all normal data i.e to and from the 300-1 works i.e cross track error, speed position course heading etc. lat and long.
All are configured for Nema 0183.

There are a total of four ports on the 300-i numbers one ,two and three can be be set configured for AIS, Radar etc so there is manual input of Baud, stop bits etc and can be viewed during downloads, The forth port is configured to just transmit and receive GPS nav data.

I have no trouble in transferring way points (GPX files) and can transfer route and way points in Garmin configuration, but routes don't work.

I have a very limited knowledge of electronics and computers so may well be doing something very wrong.

I will be back down to the boat tomorrow and will see what I can do using Opencpn 4.4.

Thanks for your input.
Old 21-05-2020, 17:18   #5

My sincere thanks,
I read the relevant manual passages you kindly sent me and believe you have solved my problem.

I have only tried it on my home computer but the route sent perfectly.
So next time down to the boat i believe it will work.
Many thanks for your assistance.
Old 22-05-2020, 04:12   #6

Dear Stumpert,
Thank you for letting us know of your success. This is very helpful to others. I believe that the newer version of OpenCPN should work in the same way although the menu and toolbar may have changed slightly.

We would very much appreciate a written description the process that you found that worked for the Standard Horizon. If you can attach a few helpful screenshots we will add this your example to the documentation, so that others that follow have a guide.

You can post your description in your thread here, or attach it as a document (with some limit on size). Under "Go Advanced" there is a menu panel for uploading screenshots.
Old 22-05-2020, 20:00   #7

I won’t be back down to the bot until next Tuesday.
If all goes well sending to the Standard Horizon 300-l I will certainly let you know
Regards
Stumpert
Old 24-05-2020, 07:33   #8

Another interesting approach and testing some time ago
Send WPT over IP
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...pt-rte-over-ip
Old 24-05-2020, 08:26   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

What is the point?

Has routes ever been transfrable?

How?

Nmea devices will maybe collect WPL or a series of WPLs, not routes.

And better NOT to go into the IP blind alley. I asked the question in two threads recently and never saw the answer. assuming then OpenCPN still DOES NOT SUPPORT waypoint output to network adressess.

TIP - newer garmin devices can be accessed to their memory just like any other USB device. There you can export a route in say gpx to be picked up by your device.

I am not sure if the SH has such a function. Probably not.

Cheers,
Standby,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 05:41   #10

Went down to the boat two days ago and tried to send the route via right click on the appropriate route track. When I did this at home without Open CPN connected to a chart plotter it sent a perfect set of route instructions. When connected to the Standard Horizon 300i the transmission becomes mixed up with other signals being relayed between the chart plotter plotter and Open CPN.
I found an old disk for FUGAWI so loved Fugawi and tried sending the route via Fugawi which was formerly the way these routes were transferred about seven years ago. This was also unsuccessful despite programming the SH 300 port one to receive routes and waypoints.

The former transfer was accomplished prior to installing the Brookehose IMUX so having this is the system may well be the complication.
Present on Covid lock down so won't be back to the boat for a couple of weeks. Next time will disconnect the Multiplexer and try again.

Stumpert but not for a couple of weeks.

Tags
open cpn, route