Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2020, 07:57   #1

Opem CPN GPS connection

I am currently quarantined onboard and getting around to dream projects. Updating the manifest, cleaning all tiny rarely visited nooks, organizing the library A-z, learning to bake onboard. All have been going smoothly except learning my backup navigation system open CPN.

I am running windows 10 on a dell laptop and using version 5.0.0 of openCPN
I have charts loaded
I have a new BU-353s4 GPS and downloaded the newest driver
I have configured the COM port, baud rate etc. It is my only active com port
I have tried restating the computer and reassigning the communication port
The GPS has a red flashing light

Underneath the satellite the sphere is colored red
The NEMA debug window is blank

Thanks in advance for suggestions of next steps.
HoboHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 08:05   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Opem CPN GPS connection

Have you gone to options in OpenCPN and connected (add connection) the GPS port and applied it? Set the baud rate and priority etc?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 08:09   #3

Yes, Under the connections tab in open CPN I have configured the port to the appropriate com port (5) as determined in the ports setting in the device manager of windows. The baud rate etc. matches
Old 21-03-2020, 08:10   #4

You might try a different priority and apply. I had to do that on a GPS hockey puck I used on Windows 10

I've moved that GPS between the Raspberry and Windows computer quite a few times, but I believe the priority change did help in Windows even though it was the only thing hooked up although I may have had something assigned that was no longer physically hooked up with a higher priority
Old 21-03-2020, 08:40   #5

changing the priority setting did not help establish a connection. The GPS device driver software revision number is 3.8.31.0 in the event that will help a computer savvy person.
Old 21-03-2020, 09:00   #6

Boat: Gemini 3200

The most common cause of the problem you described is some other program is using that comm port. The most likely suspect is the software that came bundled with your BU-353s4. The software with the GPS usually shows you the satellite status so you can confirm the GPS is working. That's great when you first install the device and want to assure yourself you have a good connection. But if you leave that program running it will take possession of the comm port and OpenCPN will be unable to use it.

It would be a good idea to start the computer, run the GPS software, and confirm the GPS is properly connected. Then stop the GPS software, launch OpenCPN, and see if you can get any data flowing in the NMEA debug window.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 11:34   #7

Re: Opem CPN GPS connection issues

Thanks Fabian. I only installed the driver and not the program since I spent some time reading instructions before just diving into this.

Since your message i went ahead and installed the actual software from the CD that came with the receiver. It did appear to see satellites.

As far as I can tell there is nothing else running in the background when i use the task manager and very little has been installed on this computer. Google chrome, (earth is not running) and at one time I installed microsoft office but the that license is now expired.

Still struggling to figure this out so if anybody knows a way using windows diagnostics to see if other programs are accessing the come port it would be nice to rule that out.

Cheers and still stuck onboard until at least the 31st
Old 21-03-2020, 14:06   #8

So this is the GPS Dongle I'm using and even though it says you need a driver etc i didn't download one and had it working at my apartment and it showed up on the OpenCPN chart.

My Apartment is maybe 1/2 mile from the bay.

It's on the boat now and hooked up to the Raspberry PI

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078Y52FGQ...t_b_asin_title
Old 21-03-2020, 14:25   #9
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So this is the GPS Dongle I'm using and even though it says you need a driver etc i didn't download one and had it working at my apartment and it showed up on the OpenCPN chart.

My Apartment is maybe 1/2 mile from the bay.

It's on the boat now and hooked up to the Raspberry PI

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078Y52FGQ...t_b_asin_title
Are you sure you have the baudrate correct on OCPN? Try all between 2400 and 9600 .. No need to set it in device manager.

Run the task manager and see what other apps are running that may be grabbing the port, kill them off one by one and restart OCPN.

Try running OCPN as administrator (right click on its icon and choose run as admin) to see if it is a strange permissions issue.

Chris
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 14:27   #10

Boat: Outremer 50S

There have been some problems with OpenCPN 5 and virtual serial ports. There is a thread around here on it and I recall seeing something about a recent build that fixed things, but I’m on a tablet at the moment and searching is annoying.

If you want to convince yourself the GPS is working download RealTerm or something similar and see if you get NMEA data. If you don’t, try toggling the flow control bits (RTS, CTS, DTR) - these are little buttons on the right side of the RealTerm window. If you get data in RealTerm then close the connection and open OpenCPN. Sometimes triggering the flow from someplace else will get things going. Not a good long term solution, but one that can point to where the problem resides.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 20:47   #11
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
There have been some problems with OpenCPN 5 and virtual serial ports. There is a thread around here on it and I recall seeing something about a recent build that fixed things, but I’m on a tablet at the moment and searching is annoying.

If you want to convince yourself the GPS is working download RealTerm or something similar and see if you get NMEA data. If you don’t, try toggling the flow control bits (RTS, CTS, DTR) - these are little buttons on the right side of the RealTerm window. If you get data in RealTerm then close the connection and open OpenCPN. Sometimes triggering the flow from someplace else will get things going. Not a good long term solution, but one that can point to where the problem resides.
This is a good point. A work around that is very stable and versatile is to install GPSGate. Connect that to the GPS and share it as many times as you like via a virtual comport, udp or TCP.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 06:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboHandyman View Post
Yes, Under the connections tab in open CPN I have configured the port to the appropriate com port (5) as determined in the ports setting in the device manager of windows. The baud rate etc. matches
And you clicked add connection and apply also right? then ok.

Baud rate 4800

Tags
gps