Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 15:32   #1

oeSENC plugin

I have Opencpn running on a Rock64 with no problems (the rock64 is a fast alternative to the pi). I cannot locate the oeSENC plugin for the lxde (Ubuntu 18.04). I have tried using synaptic and it only shows opencpn. I have tried to find oeSENC-pi in synaaptic with no luck. The opencpn ppa has lots of plugins but not one for oeSENC. So what am I doing wrong or has the plugin for ubuntu been over looked.
(I have Opencpn running on another computer with ubuntu 16.04 with the oesenc plugin and charts and have used it for about a year in Italy and Croatia)
georgetina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 23:58   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I
Re: oeSENC plugin

Try one of these...

https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+arch...nic1_armhf.deb

https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+arch...nic1_armhf.deb

wait a little until the download starts. Over 30 seconds.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:56   #3

Thanks for such a quick reply but neither of the links worked. After a short time both failed to load. Any other Ideas ?
Old 11-01-2019, 05:25   #4

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetina View Post
Thanks for such a quick reply but neither of the links worked. After a short time both failed to load. Any other Ideas ?
Both links works for me.
Try again!
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:16   #5

OK got the package but will not install - investigating. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:53   #6

oeSENC will not install from either the download or synaptic as "broken file" any more ideas ?
(Thanks for the help)
Old 11-01-2019, 14:15   #7

The oeSENC package will not install as it "depends" on opencpn:armhf. I believe that my installed version of opencpn is 4.6 which is a opencpn:arm64 package. I think the 4.8 release is armhf so how can I get this release and install it instead of the package in synaptic ?.
Old 11-01-2019, 22:07   #8

I assume you have "arm64" architecture not "armhf". Exam with "uname -i"
The last available OpenCPN for Bionic on this architecture is 4.8.6. oeSENC will not work at all because the "oeserverd" is not available for the architecture.

Solution: the OpenCPN developers penetrate so that this blob is built first (unfortunately no opensource, they should do some homework already) and then create the packages for the platform in launchpad accordingly
BlackSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:56   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

There seems to be something weird with your opencpn installation.

Maybe you have built from the sources or installed the snap package that appears in the ubuntu store?

It gives the impression that you lack the right repositories. Do not use the Raspberry Pi setup guide as it may not suit your system which is ubuntu and not Raspbian. Use the existing desktop ubuntu guide to install the ubuntu bionic repositories and not the xenial ones that you would look for if you followed the steps for Rpi.

Or maybe try the other way around. If you use the bionic test with the xenial that work correctly in the Rpi.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:36   #10

Boat: Phantom 19

There is no arm64 version of the OESENC plugin available yet. You can't mix ARMHF and ARM64 binaries. I think the RK3328 in your board is able to run the 32bit ARMHF binaries, not sure if you need to change the whole OS because of that though.

There is a trivial way to try: Download the OESENC plugin background server from https://github.com/bdbcat/oesenc_pi/...xarm/oeserverd and try to execute it, if it won't fail, replace your opencpn with the armhf version and all should probably work.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSea View Post
I assume you have "arm64" architecture not "armhf". Exam with "uname -i"
The last available OpenCPN for Bionic on this architecture is 4.8.6. oeSENC will not work at all because the "oeserverd" is not available for the architecture.

Solution: the OpenCPN developers penetrate so that this blob is built first (unfortunately no opensource, they should do some homework already) and then create the packages for the platform in launchpad accordingly
I am sure you are correct, so how do I get the OpenCPN developers to provide the release I need ?
Old 12-01-2019, 03:21   #12

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetina View Post
I am sure you are correct, so how do I get the OpenCPN developers to provide the release I need ?
You sure may ask for it by opening an issue in flyspray or at github, but we do know there is ARM64, don't worry - We just only have two arms each and our days 24 hours...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 06:27   #13

Wink Re: oeSENC plugin

I do thank you all for your efforts having worked in the computer field for more years than I wish to remember. Thanks
Old 23-01-2019, 18:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

georgetina....

Here is a test version of oeSENC_PI for arm64 architecture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/apvwp9v986...arm64.deb?dl=0

You may install by:

Code:
$sudo dpkg -i oesenc_pi_2.6.123-1_arm64.deb

Please let me know how this works for you, so that I can release to full production status.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 12:09   #15

Received an updated file from Dave which I have installed and which allowed me to download my oeSENC maps. No problems - so the new software works. Thank you all for your help. The Rock64 with a ubuntu 18.04 LXDE works very well, the only thing I cannot test is the AIS data input as my yacht is in Italy. OpenCPN does "see" the serial usb interface so I believe it will work. The GPS dongle works well.
The performance of the Rock64 seems to be about the same as the ITX computer I was using last year. The current draw is about 1.8 amps at 5 volts, about 9 watts and it plays DVD's at 1080p with no problems. Alternative to the Pi at about the same cost but with the option of 4 gB memory. Bit of a fiddle to get a build running though as the software support is not as good as Pi.

Tags
enc, plug