Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 14:58   #16

Boat: Richter 42
Re: ocpn_draw_pi now available

Gilletarom,
Thank you for the information. The critical part was the vertical size, 600, of your screen. Version 1.0.9 should fix this for the Point Properties panel. The other panels do not have the size issue (on my system anyway).

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 15:08   #17

Håkan,
I am sorry, it was not the 'git version' but the 'OD version in git' that I was meaning.

Anyway, the wxWTranslateCatalog.h should not be being tracked in git, but wxWTranslateCatalog.h.in should be being tracked. The 'in' version is used to create the header file. Overkill may be, but it allows easily implementing the changes in other plugins easier.

You could try cloning the repository again (possibly into a new directory) and see if you still have the issue?

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Jon..
re: "Can you check that you are using the current git version? I am sure I never added teh wxWTranslate.Catalog.h file to the project as it is always generated."

Thanks for your answer. I've been away a couple of days and haven't checked more but my git version was 2.6.xx and just now updated to 2.7.2. Let's see if that makes any difference.
Håkan
Old 14-03-2016, 00:52   #18

Boat: Najad 34

Jon
Ok - I could of course renew the repo but still is the build process changing source and I think git will react unless excluded in gitignore? Like this:
Code:
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

modified:   po/POTFILES.in
        modified:   po/POTFILES.in.test

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
And after renewing the OD repository there is no gitignore present and after first cmake git says:
Code:
C:\Builds\OCPN\ocpn_draw_pi>git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

build/
        include/version.h
        include/wxWTranslateCatalog.h
        po/POTFILES.in.test

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)
I could of course add a gitignore but I'm curious why you didn't ?
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 16:45   #19

Håkan,
I rarely use the command line for git preferring to use SmartGit for most of the work, so I don't see the untracked files unless I specifically display them.

I have changed the build process to put the two generated header files into the build directory, this allows users to build from a read only version of the repository. This was implemented a little while ago (I think) in some of the 'default' plugins supplied with OCPN, so I am just catching up.

There will still be files that will show as untracked, but at least they should not be 'standard' program files now.

This change is in patch 1.0.10.

Jon
Old 15-03-2016, 14:59   #20

Hi,
Patch 1.0.11 removes the old version.h and wxWTranslateCatalog.h files to ensure that the builds are only using the latest copies.

Jon
Old 15-03-2016, 19:28   #21
Marine Service Provider

jon...

It is important for PlugIn cmake rules to not configure the file "include/version.h" in the source root. It will cause file name collisions and several build failures which can be hard to track down.

Better to configure this file in the build target directory tree.
I think all the core OCPN PlugIns follow this rule...

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 20:29   #22

Dave,
That is what patch 1.0.10 does. The file is now created in the "build directory"/CMakeFiles/include directory and is used from there. This is following the lead in "chartdldr_pi" and "wmm_pi" supplied plugins.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
jon...

It is important for PlugIn cmake rules to not configure the file "include/version.h" in the source root. It will cause file name collisions and several build failures which can be hard to track down.

Better to configure this file in the build target directory tree.
I think all the core OCPN PlugIns follow this rule...

Thanks
Dave
Old 16-03-2016, 05:43   #23

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I put this comment in Plugin API, for revision later.
PlugIn API | Official OpenCPN Homepage
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 13:43   #24

Boat: Najad 34

Jon
Thanks for the update. Since I'm lazy I've also added my own gitignore to get rid of commits for every build.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 17:01   #25

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Jongough,

I download version 1.0.9 tonight.
Uninstall 1.0.4
install 1.0.9
Then run O 4.2
Then time immediately, O crash.
I re-run O ----> Crash!

Sorry.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 01:18   #26

Gilletarom,
I have just downloaded the latest OCPN 4.2 and OD 1.0.9 and installed them on my development virtual win7 32bit machine. It worked OK. I then installed it on my win 10 64 bit machine and again it worked OK. Both of these installs were 'parallel' as I have other versions installed.

Can you please provide the opencpn.log file? Can you also please try running OCPN with OD disabled ( you will need to modify the config file to do this ) and make sure all is working as you would expect. The 'enable' OD through the options dialog. Does OCPN immediately crash? If not can you try using OD (draw something, open a properties dialog, etc). Then stop and restart OCPN. Does it crash now?

If you are getting crashes can you please provide more information on your installation, i.e.32/64 bit, version of windows, screen resolution, OpenGL or not, etc. Also, if you have an ODnavobj.xml file can you please try running without one. If you do have one can you please send it to me so that I can check there is nothing wrong there. Can you also provide the opencpn.ini file?

Thanks
Jon
Old 17-03-2016, 03:29   #27

JonGough,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Gilletarom,
I have just downloaded the latest OCPN 4.2 and OD 1.0.9 ....

Can you please provide the opencpn.log file? Can you also please try running OCPN with OD disabled ( you will need to modify the config file to do this ) and make sure all is working as you would expect. The 'enable' OD through the options dialog. Does OCPN immediately crash? If not can you try using OD (draw something, open a properties dialog, etc). Then stop and restart OCPN. Does it crash now?
....Jon
It was late last night when I faced the first crash. I preferred to go to sleep. I just put an alert. Sorry.

My PC : Lenovo U41 : W 8.1 64 bit. Intel core i5-5200U. 2.20 Ghz. 4.0 Gb RAM. Intel HD Graphics 5500.

This morning I put
"[PlugIns / ocpn_draw_pi.dll]
bEnabled = 0 "
in the "opencpnini" file.

In this case, OpenCPN operating normally.
If I go to the "Options / Plugins" and I try to activate OD, then immediately crash.

I removed all files navobject.xml OpenCPN. It did no good. dice immediate crash I tried to turn OD.

BUT, the good news:
I did the same with navobject files OD plugin in the "plugins / opencpn_draw_pi / data" and was able to activate OD without crash OpenCPN.

Note :
1 I was OpenGL ON during all these tests.
2 Now, it seem that OD run Ok with OpenGL ON or OFF.

The attached 3 files.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ODnavobj.zip.pdf (2.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf opencpn.ini.pdf (25.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf opencpn.log.pdf (113.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 17-03-2016, 15:51   #28

Gilletarom,
I have tried your ODnavobj.xml file and the OD part of the ini file on my linux and windows machines and I get all your objects and no crashes.

I have looked at the log file and think I can see that there were crashes (the log stops after OD is loaded and has processed the ODnavobj.xml file). However, the log seems to stop quite some time after the objects are loaded. It looks like you terminated OCPN at 10:24:58 after all the plugins (grib, OD, vdr and wmm) were loaded, and as there is little in the log at this time the OCPN may have hung. The next time you tried at 10:24:58 OCPN hung at 10:25:15 just after loading the ODnavobj.xml file. There is no indication if there was a changes file, was there (i.e. had you created any objects in the previous session)?

You then seem to have removed OD from OCPN as at 10:57:02 you started OCPN again and it worked (do you know what all the "Detected display size..." messages are about?).

At 10:59:43 you have started OCPN again, but with many more plugins available. It looks like the system stopped after loading the ODnavobj.xml file.

So, after loading ODnavobj.xml OD tries to load the ODnavobj.xml.changes file, if there is one. It may be that there was a corruption in this file caused by the first termination of OD. You have the "Nav object backups" set to zero. Can you set this to >5 so that if you have the crash again you will still have copies of the original ODnavobj.xml(.changes) files.

I cannot recreate your crash here, so I am not sure how to find out what is wrong. If you get the crash again can you immediately copy the two OD xml files, the log file and the ini file to somewhere safe BEFORE trying to restart. With luck this will then allow me to create the crash here when you send them to me.

Sorry I cannot help more at this stage.

Jon
Old 18-03-2016, 02:47   #29

Hello JonGough,

In the day that preceded the installation of version 1.0.9, so using version 1.0.4, I can just say that I had observed a malfunction.
We finish with Nevermind and Yoruck, the translation of OD.

After many tests, I left OpenCPN running and I had used other software (Firefox, Thunderbird).

Returning OD, I found that the tools of the toolbar were "frozen". Only the last tool, right, DR, still working. I stopped and OD OpenCPN. Then restarting everything, things were back to normal.

It's a "mini bug" that I have observed during the test period in January / February. But impossible to explain, describe it clearly, and reproduce.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Old 18-03-2016, 13:11   #30

Gilletarom,
When you left OCPN running and the OD toolbar being displayed, had you selected a tool to draw with and not used it, or did you just have the toolbar set to show always?

When the system was 'frozen' did you try left clicking on OCPN to ensure it was selected and then right clicking on OCPN or pressing the Esc button? I did notice during my testing that if I went to another application I had to sometimes positively select OCPN before mouse clicks/keyboard input ended up going to it. This required clicking on the chart screen at times. This seemed to be an application focus issue, but I never really investigated it too far as I was more concerned with getting OD to actually work.

Now that we know you have had the problem can you just keep on using OCPN and OD as 'normal', but possibly leaving it running whilst doing 'other stuff' to see if it is time related as this 'may' indicate a memory leak which takes time to manifest itself. If you look at the size of the OCPN memory foot print when it is first running, then look at it again sometime later this may show if the memory usage is growing. I will try this under linux, but my windows machines are not really representative of real life, i.e. VM's with only VS2013 installed for building and testing, so may well not show the symptoms you have.

As for the crash on startup of OD, I did notice that if I terminated my testing session when debugging sometimes the ODnavobj.xml(.changes) files may not be in a consistent state and would cause issues when restarting. This is part of the reason for including ODnavobj.xml.changes in the backup process. I wonder if you experienced this where the changes file only contained part of an update for an OD object and not the whole XML? If this was the case you would need to have the nav obj backups set to more than zero to see it as OD, like OCPN, reads the content of the changes file, then deletes it, then tries to apply the contents of the file. So the bad file is only found after the file has been deleted. If this proves to be the case and is an issue I may look at parsing for completeness the XML and providing an error message if the XML is invalid (this would only check the XML tags not the content).

Jon