Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 20:07   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973
OCPN won't launch - Win XP SP3

Windows error message: 'The application failed to initialize properly 0xc000001d'
Any help? Can I get an earlier version to try?
Thanks!!
EngNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 08:23   #2

Boat: Dufour 325
Re: OCPN won't launch - Win XP SP3

Aaaaah ! You are not the only one in this case, I'm (not so) happy.
The problem arose for my ship's PC with rel 4.2 and is still present with 4.4.
Previous releases ran like a charm (and 4.0 still does). I must add that the 4.2 and 4.4 run perfectly on my home PC.
Ship's PC : Sony VAIO PCG-FR102 with AMD athlonXP 2000 processor, 2GO ram, HDD upgraded to 60GO, running WIN7 pro SP1.
Home PC : home made with MSI MoBo, AMD Athlon 5200 processor, 3GO ram, HDD 500MO, running the same WIN7 pro SP1.

Which major change was made between V4.0 and 4.2 that the Vaio does not like ???
Coriolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 09:59   #3

Boat: 29'

not sure I can help

You CAN get older versions
https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencpn/files/opencpn/

What's new?
goto What's new in OpenCPN version 4.4.0? | Official OpenCPN Homepage

... but before installing older versions, check your log files in case there's something useful noted.
AND
One thing that can work is to delete your old configuration file "opencpn.ini"...or just rename it. This will start O on a fresh slate ,unaffected by your previous installs.

....Maybe irrelevant but One change I have noted is that MicrosoftVisualStudio has been updated to "2012" versus the 2010 You should find these as "msvcp120.dll" and "msvcr120.dll" versus the older msvcp100.dll, msvcr100.dll
I can't recall if XP3 will even use these newer runtimes...might be a clue? I had to hack my XP-SP1 to get VC10 to go!

Also see your plugins are up-to-date
and generally look closely on here
OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
Aaaaah ! You are not the only one in this case, I'm (not so) happy.
The problem arose for my ship's PC with rel 4.2 and is still present with 4.4.
Previous releases ran like a charm (and 4.0 still does). I must add that the 4.2 and 4.4 run perfectly on my home PC.
Ship's PC : Sony VAIO PCG-FR102 with AMD athlonXP 2000 processor, 2GO ram, HDD upgraded to 60GO, running WIN7 pro SP1.
Home PC : home made with MSI MoBo, AMD Athlon 5200 processor, 3GO ram, HDD 500MO, running the same WIN7 pro SP1.

Which major change was made between V4.0 and 4.2 that the Vaio does not like ???
Opencpn 4.4 runs fine under XP sp3 and WIN7 pro SP1. Mostly is not your VAIO but windows bad behavior that is the problem. see attached screen dump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xp-sp3-opencpn-4-4.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	126620  
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 15:49   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Listen to Happy Seagull. Excellent advice.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 11:17   #6

Angry Re: OCPN won't launch - Win XP SP3

Did the renaming (or deletion) of a previous opencpn.ini file solved your problem (error 0xC000001D with Win XP) ?
This did not change the behaviour of my Win7 machine : problem still here...

To make another test, I woke up an ooooold Satellite Toshiba with Win XP SP3. I installed Ocpn 4.2 (without any previous installation) and bingo : unable to launch.
After uninstalling 4.2, the version 4.0 installs and run like a charm...
I now have two PC's with different OS (XP and Win7) which run the same bad way !

The changes I was talking about are not the functional changes and improvments (I would like to be able to use) announced with availability of a new release, but some piece of code, not present before 4.2, which results in a failure we can reproduce on several machines.
The Opencpn.log does not contain any reference to the aborted launch (timestamp).

What next ????
Old 21-06-2016, 15:32   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I would like to point out that I made opencpn compile using gcc on windows about 2 years ago and the changes are merged, but frequently broken by other people who don't care about this.

gcc is free software like opencpn, and it makes little sense to me to use a non-free compiler like visual studio when there is a free alternative.

What I am getting to is that opencpn 4.4 can run just fine even under windows 98 right now today and for all future versions, and winxp without any service pack using this compiler which is a free software compiler. Furthermore, you can cross compile from linux and test and verify the windows version without even using windows at all which is useful for linux developers. I suggest we switch from visual studio compiler to mingw, or at least offer mingw builds in parallel as official releases for the user to choose, because gcc is also producing faster code than visual studio.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 18:29   #8
Marine Service Provider

Coriolis et al...

To try to understand this problem a little more, I have built a test version of OpenCPN called 4.4.1. It is available here:

http://opencpn.navnux.org/beta/opencpn_4.4.1_setup.exe

You may download this and install as a normal release.

This is exactly the same as 4.4.0, except for de-optimization to remove SSE/SSE2 instructions that may not be implemented on older AMD processors. Might work, or might not. We'll see...

Good Luck
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 07:54   #9

Boat: 29'

...I don't want to send anyone down a blind inlet with my ol hardware..but, well..I pulled out my little Dell 420 (XPsp1 and parts of 2!)
and neither version 4.4 or 4.4.1 runs as Portable, but 4.0 runs fine...it's been my impression that XP has been dropped anyways still

immediate message is
"opencpn.exe-Entry Point Not Found"
"The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

just a dumb thought but should there be spaces in
"GetLogicalProcessorInformation"?

But on Win7 both 4.4.4.0 and 4.4.1 run ok
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 02:46   #10

Many thanks to all who posted and made trials.

Finally on the old Toshiba (Vaio/WIN7 is aboard), I decided to start from a really clean WIN XP SP3 :

1- Format the HDD, install vanilla XP SP3, install OCPN 4.4 alone (no other software installed), (tried to) launch it => always the same problem
2- I installed OCPN 4.0, it prompted for maps => worked fine !!!
3- OCPN 4.4.1 exhibits the problem too
4- I did not yet tried to compile, as boat_alexandra suggested, this could take some delay : I'm just a hardware engineer and my programming competence is limited to basic batches and microcontroler assembler .

Once more, thanks to all
Old 27-06-2016, 08:41   #11

After spending many hours trying to compile with MinGW as suggested by boat_alexandra, I gave up...

I use my "C:" partition for OS only, so I setup a specific directory "Compilation" at the root of partition D:
a)- Installed MinGW in "D:\MinGW",
b)- Git, Cmake and NSIS in respective subfolders of "D:\Compilation\",
c)- wxWidgets installed itself in D:\wxWidgets-3.0.2 where I added the three lines as indicated.
The compilation of wxWidgets took, as expected, a very very long time and ended with the success message...
d)- The generated libz.a was copied to D:\MinGW\...\lib\.
e)- I created a subfolder "D:\Compilation\Opencpn-MinGW and "cloned" the git file, this resulted in a subfolder OpenCPN.
f)- I copied the wxWidgets mingw libraries in the indicated subfolder of OpenCPN.

Everything was clear and ran as expected, up to the step "Building the OpenCPN source" : What did I do wrong ???
  • I created the build directory in the "topmost" source directory (for me it was D:\Compilation) and ran Cmake => source directory does not appear to contain Cmakelist.txt...
  • I created it under the directory where I put the source code : same error (foreseeable).
  • I finally made the build directory under the auto-created subfolder OpenCPN (D:\Compilation\Opencpn-MinGW\OpenCPN\build) ran the cmake and got a Cmake error : does not find the file wx/version.h ...
    (screen dump) Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Screen Shot 06-25-16 at 04.46 PM.JPG Views: 126 Size: 107.8 KB ID: 127017" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 27-06-2016, 16:04   #12

Although it's a bit dated, try:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ope..._experimental/

It should have a setup, and you can see that it runs on the older windows xp or not.

I have sitting on my drive opencpn_4.1.818_setup.exe with mingw, but didn't compile since then as this is already adequate for testing plugins.

There is likely a problem with findwxwidgets cmake or something. I never tried with wx 3.0, yet, I was still using 2.8, but I could try it... Did you use the instructions on the wiki exactly? Otherwise, read the error message carefully and try to fix... It can't find version.h and lists where it looks, so where is this file, and why is it not looking there?
Old 28-06-2016, 01:38   #13

Thanks for reply.

I forgot to say that the file does exist in one of the path described (the second one) : "D:\MinGW\msys\1.0\local\include\wx-3.0\wx\version.h" (I assume that this path is the same as "usr/local/include/wx-3.0/wx/version.h".

I will make a new trial using (and compiling !!!) wxWidgets-2.8.12 to be in the exact configuration of the wiki.

I had a glance to the link you gave, but I remind that
  • all OpenCPN versions prior 4.2 run perfectly on all the machines it was installed to
  • the issue with newer versions : don't launch with Windows error code 0xC000001D, on some machines with Win XP SP3 (my old Toshiba and the EngNate's PC) and (at least) one with Win 7 SP1 (my Sony).
Old 28-06-2016, 10:59   #14

maybe if you used visual studio 2010 instead of 2013 it would work as well...

at the moment I have too many projects to deal with windows, maybe in a few weeks. If you manage to compile it with mingw I'm 99% sure it will work.
Old 14-12-2016, 09:35   #15

Boat: Prout Ocean ranger 45ft

I am new to the opencpn and this forum. I had the problem that Opencpn 4.4.0 would not run and gave error 0xc000001d. (XP S3) I installed 4.0.0. Now Opencpn runs. But the GPS position is not show. A external program Amarillo shows the datastream, the NMEA debug windows shows the datastream. In opencpm the ship symbol is red. But no position is shown in the bar below and auto follow does not react. I expect this is not for this thread but I cannot find any thread which dicusses this problem of not showing the position. Can anyone give me a hint this is a know problem or where to search? Thanks
boaboot is offline   Reply With Quote