Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 05:37   #1

Boat: Costum build, 28ft
OCPN on Android - How to export Waypoints to GPS

Hi there,

on board I have a Garmin GPS 152 into which all waypoints are transfered. Until now by an old laptop using a RS232 cable on the hardware side and by nmea protocol (4800Baud) software side. This way data is coming from the GPS and sent to the GPS.

Now the laptop is gone and opencpn on my android 7.0 galaxy S7 is here.

Connection on the hardware side is done still by the old rs232 cable and using a delock 61425 USB-to-rs232-adapter with a FTDI chip in it. That is plugged to the smartphone by the otg adapter.
Works fine from the gps to the smartphone/opencpn, all data is coming in and position is there. The Delock adapter is automatically found and can be seen in the connections menue. Protocol is Nmea 0183.
But this is not what is needed, as within a week or so a wireless multiplexer will send all data over the network to the smartphone.

The other direction is important to me - tranfering waypoints to the gps - and that is not working at all. No waypoints are coming in at the garmin.
I tried:
  • all communication protocoll the garmin has, but I thing should work with the nmea and 4800 baut
  • sending single waypoint from from waypoint menu
  • sending single waypoint from the menue when I press the waypoint longer on the map
  • Adding the Adapter-Port to the connections menue (in the online manual stated that this is not needed)
  • sending the waypoints with using Garmin protokoll in opencpn and tried using both, garmin protokoll or nmea in the garmin gps
So now I'm running out of alternatives. Worked so fine with my laptop, so it should be possible with opencpn too.

Appreciate your help very much.

Michael
contender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps