Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 20:25   #106

Boat: 37' TransPac Trawler, heavily modified
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

You may want to check this out in the Google app store Debian noroot - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ntubuntu&hl=en
From the apps description:
Description
This app will install Debian Wheezy.
You do not need to root your device, it will work fine with any stock ROM.
You will need 600 Mb free on internal storage. This app cannot be installed to SD card.
A mouse or stylus is highly recommended.
This app is NOT full Debian OS - it is a compatibility layer, which allows you to run Debian applications.
Your phone is NOT rooted during installation.

I started a thread about it here

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...et-136815.html
I have this app installed and running OCPN with both RNC and ENC charts and using the tablets built in GPS. Its not real fast but seems to be usable for what I would do with it.
LeoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 09:53   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
It could make use of the onboard gps, but keep in mind I have no hardware running android, and no possibility to run android on hardware with an onboard gps as I have only usb gps. (I use linux on everything) so using the emulator I can't test gps.

I believe it doesn't work unless there is a serial device for it already, or a gpsd server.
If your usb gps is a Garmin, the garmin_gps driver must be loaded. This driver is not normally included with stock OEM ROMS and getting any satisfaction from OEMs were you to request it be included in an update is unlikely. Only hope is to use a custom ROM available from XDA Developers for your particular device and submit a request for the driver there. Other gps devices requiring a driver will encounter the same road bump.

Time you invested in an android tablet with gps built in. No? They can be obtained for very little $ nowadays. For your purposes I'd definitely choose a 32 GB model supplied with a slot for an external SD card.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 12:13   #108

Boat: a sailing boat

Going an external GPS way will be a one way road: not all Android devices allow for incoming USB connection AND all Android devices meant for navigation have onboard GPS.

So, I think, it is fine to use the ext GPS while other options are not available to the developer but the real thing will have to support internal GPS in the first place with wifi NMAE input (for instuments and AIS) close second.

Any chance I can become a Beta tester for the project?

I have a tablet with an onboard GPS and plenty of time (and I hope some interdisciplinary skills) to use. I also have access to a couple of other Android devices here (Acer, Samsung, Nokia).

OP?

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 15:22   #109

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

If you have gps plugged into another computer onboard, then it can simply be shared over wifi.

I am using a virtual machine at the moment... so there is no gps
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 16:09   #110

Quote:
If you have gps plugged into another computer onboard, then it can simply be shared over wifi.

I am using a virtual machine at the moment... so there is no gps
No.

Because non-rooted Android machines do not connect readily to adhoc infrastructure. You need Windows 7 (8?) or higher to create an AP. And I do not know what you need under MacOS.

I have reverse tethered Windows data onto Android machines (meaning: Android creates the AP) but here again not all software plays the trick. If your Android Open CPN does, a BIG plus!

But you are 100% correct about sharing over wifi. It is easy and stable, but it is not very power efficient. Remember we are using mobile computing for a number of reasons and one of them is low energy footprint.

I have also tested BT sharing. Possible but waste of time due to difficult pairing and less stable link.

NF wifi may be possibly maybe the most imminent future. It is already used with cameras and other devices. It should be as energy efficient as BT and as simple to set up and stable as wifi.

b.
Old 25-11-2014, 16:41   #111

Boat: 37' TransPac Trawler, heavily modified

An Android app called "You are Here" will allow you to connect to some USB GPS. I have it installed on a tv top box and it works with a Holux USP GPS. My box is rooted, but the app's description says that root is not required.

boat_alexandra I have sent you a pm with my email address. I'll be watching for the alpha.apk
LeoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 00:49   #112

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No.

I have also tested BT sharing. Possible but waste of time due to difficult pairing and less stable link.

NF wifi may be possibly maybe the most imminent future. It is already used with cameras and other devices. It should be as energy efficient as BT and as simple to set up and stable as wifi.

b.
Wifi doesn't use much power. Bluetooth exists for tcp/ip or you can have a serial bluetooth gps.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 05:29   #113
Marine Service Provider

I dont understand comments about blutooth gps I have been using the Android app Blutooth Gps to connect to a jentro bluetooth gps. Pairing always happens without fault and connection is 100% reliable unttil the jentro rechargeable battery runs down I use it to feed mx mariner and have been using for 3 months I understand andoid has withdrawn support for conection to adhoc networks but connection is stil possible via a router

Sent from my SM-T800 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 05:52   #114

Quote:
...But you are 100% correct about sharing over wifi. It is easy and stable, but it is not very power efficient...
As pointed out elsewhere, ad hoc WiFi networks hosted on your PC are problematic, especially with Android devices. Many WiFi routers use A LOT of energy (big power bricks), but on a sailboat you don't need huge transmission power. Since you don't need huge transmission power, there are lower-power routers available. This is the one I've purchased - it runs off of USB power, which by definition is <500 mA @ 5v:

Amazon.com: ZyXEL 3-in-1 Wireless N Pocket Travel Router, Access Point, and Ethernet Client (MWR102): Computers & Accessories

The router is tiny - smaller than the palm of my hand. Since all my stuff is configured to transmit Bluetooth, I have not used it much - just some limited testing. I bought it specifically to overcome the ad hoc network limitation if I ever want to use OpenCPN to share its NMEA stream with Android devices via UDP. Haven't had much need to do that, but with this router I have the capability if the need arises.

If you're interested, you should keep an eye on the volatile price. If you time it right, you can get it for about $15:

RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 06:13   #115

Quote:
Wifi doesn't use much power. Bluetooth exists for tcp/ip or you can have a serial bluetooth gps.
Are we talking a mobile device?

Plain wifi uses WAY more than BT.
BT uses (?) compared to NFC.

I am not sure NFC has range enough to be usable for mobile to multiplexer/router/AP. Possibly not(?)

So, in my book of hopw a mobile device is used, it is:
1) onboard GPS,
2) wifi (maybe with NFC function on, for smaller boats?),
3) other sources.

My low ranting of BT comes from the plain fact that I have seen very many wifi NMEA multiplexers/router but not all that many BT based ones. Hence wifi wins.

BT as a GPS link is pretty pointless as most mobile devices have GPS onboard. But sure more options are merrier.

PS Try any device with wifi togged on/off then watch how long the battery lasts. You WILL see what I am talking about.

b.
Old 27-11-2014, 06:21   #116

Quote:
Are we talking a mobile device?

Plain wifi uses WAY more than BT.
BT uses (?) compared to NFC.

I am not sure NFC has range enough to be usable for mobile to multiplexer/router/AP. Possibly not(?)...
NFC range is spec'ed to be a maximum of 4 centimeters. It was never meant to be used for anything like you are proposing. That's what the "near field" part refers to.

You had better hope that none of your NFC devices has any range more than 4 centimeters, since it's used to transmit confidential payment information to fuel pumps, vending machines, and payment kiosks. Already there are scammers who "accidentally" drop their cell phones into a woman's purse in a grocery cart, then apologize and retrieve it, along with the woman's payment information from here NFC-enabled cell phone.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 06:23   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
As pointed out elsewhere, ad hoc WiFi networks hosted on your PC are problematic, especially with Android devices. Many WiFi routers use A LOT of energy (big power bricks), but on a sailboat you don't need huge transmission power. Since you don't need huge transmission power, there are lower-power routers available. This is the one I've purchased - it runs off of USB power, which by definition is <500 mA @ 5v:

Amazon.com: ZyXEL 3-in-1 Wireless N Pocket Travel Router, Access Point, and Ethernet Client (MWR102): Computers & Accessories

(...)
Yep.

Some/many android devices do not link readily to ad hoc windows networks. I am not sure how this works on Macs. I do not have one to test.

I did test the router way too. We have a 12Volt one onboard. I found the router to be less energy efficient than our netbook onboard wifi card (I think an Atheros). The card has a power soft toggle to limit wastage.

So to say, if one wants to share NMEA via the laptop (and the laptop runs an AP capable version of Windows (7, 8, etc., I think) this may be arranged. And a small netbook can be the cheapest multiplexer / router too; still, not most power efficient. This may count on smaller boats (like ours, e.g.)

But I think today the common way is to share NMEA before the computer - via a neat NMEA multiplexer/wifi router. I am just fishing for one now. In this set-up the laptop can be off and you can still access NMEA on your mobile device.

b.
Old 27-11-2014, 06:26   #118

Boat: Amel Sharki

When you will have a look at the Bluetooth 4 specs it will even use less power. But of course both sides needs a BT4 device. An example of low power BT consumption is the new SailTimer Wind Instrumentâ„¢

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 06:27   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
NFC range is spec'ed to be a maximum of 4 centimeters. It was never meant to be used for anything like you are proposing. That's what the "near field" part refers to.

You had better hope that none of your NFC devices has any range more than 4 centimeters, since it's used to transmit confidential payment information to fuel pumps, vending machines, and payment kiosks. Already there are scammers who "accidentally" drop their cell phones into a woman's purse in a grocery cart, then apologize and retrieve it, along with the woman's payment information from here NFC-enabled cell phone.
OK. I see. One option off the table.

I have seen digital cameras going NFC. Maybe the NFC part is used to pair then plain wifi to transfer. I must read up on this now.

Thanks for making this one clear!

barnakiel
Old 27-11-2014, 06:31   #120

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Is there any potential of making br24 or g3 radar a wifi device that can be recieved by the tablet without pc between?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
concept