Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 13:48   #1066

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Hello,Hakan, Hello RGleason,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I agree with Hakan that an EBL is in the strict sense of the term, to act just as if does in the radar.

I believe what Gilletarom was speaking about is a tacking line or layline attached to the boat which shows the boats tacking capability based upon some user input for angles off the wind. These are two entirely separate tools. Do not confuse one with the other. Jon has provided an EBL.

At some future point a Layline Tool could be created using some of the same code. That is the power of ODraw, Jon's creation.
I have often struggled to unlock me about this plugin. But with my tests, I think I managed to free myself a little.

For example, I did not have a good understanding of "EBL". I was not looking that it will serve as the radar because I do not have radar.

But I found a way to use an EBL by diverting to the use you want to do. Build a boat attached to the EBL and fix its end. Move this end before the port where you want to go. This can serve.

For cons, I thought that EBL could be used to make a line or tack layline. And I was very disappointed with the understanding that it was not possible. Hence my request to a question on a French forum.

Note that there is more to the web browser that need layline, that browser sail which require EBL (radar). And this because a lot of sailboat have no radar.

Finally, I suspect motor browser having oriented the OD design according to their specific needs.

I have often struggled to unlock me about this plugin. But with my tests, I think I managed to free myself a little.

For example, I did not have a good understanding of "EBL". I was not looking that it will serve as the radar because I do not have radar.

But I found a way to use an EBL by diverting to the use you want to do. Build a boat attached to the EBL and fix its end. Move this end before the port where you want to go. This can serve.

For cons, I thought that EBL could be used to make a line or tack layline. And I was very disappointed with the understanding that it was not possible. Hence my request to a question on a French forum.

Note that there is more sailor that need layline, that sailorwhich require EBL (radar). And this because a lot of sailboat have no radar.

Finally, I suspect engines users having oriented the OD design according to their specific needs, perhaps (not sure), because they do not need layline.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 16:15   #1067

Boat: Richter 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Jongough,
So I understand this:

First case :
With the OD icon bar that appears only when OD work, the OD toolbar is used only to select the tool you want to use.
When you stop doing, eg EBL, OD stops working.

In other words :
I click on the icon in the OD O icons bar
I choose a tool from the O icon bar
I make what you can make with this tool
I alt or Esc.
OD stops working.
When you finish using the tool you have selected the OD Toolbar hides itself if you have 'Whilst Drawing' selected. You can then click on the OCPN toolbar tool for OD and the OD Toolbar will show again. I hope that OD does not stop working for you. If you prefer you can use the keyboard to start any tool by using Ctrl+Shift+[B || P || T || E || D].
Quote:
Oops, I just found something by accident:
There are two ways to select a tool e:
- By clicking on it in the toolbar
- Or so I right click I want. This will select the tool that I want to use.

So, this seem Ok.
When you have selected to use an OD tool, BEFORE you left click to place a point you right click the mouse it will cycle through the available tools. Once you have left clicked with a tool you have either placed a point or brought up the DR dialog. Once you have left clicked a right click will cancel the current drawing process, i.e. will complete a boundary, and will deselect the drawing tool. You can use a left click on the OD Toolbar selected tool, Esc on the keyboard or left click on the OCPN Toolbar OD Tool that will show it is selected.

I hope this makes sense.
Quote:
Second case :
I choice to have the OD icons bar permanently visible :
Similar functionning.

Third case :
With OD icons bar never visible :
In this case, it is impossible to change of tool. You can use only one tool. The one which is visible when you run O.

it seem to me that you can destroy this case and
and just keep the first two.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
With the OD Toolbar never visible you can use right click to select the tool to use as long as you do it BEFORE you left click to place a point. I introduced the Toolbar as I thought once we got more than 2 tools (the original Boundary and Boundary Point) it may be better if a toolbar was available.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 16:27   #1068

Hello Jongough,

I think I understood.

In the third case, I had not had the idea of leaving right click the mouse anywhere on the map area to change tools.

I will rebuild my page on the functioning of different screens. That's a lot of work. Hopefully by now you no longer will change all that. Otherwise I would have again a third time

But such is life .... Pfuuuu.

B.R. Gilletarom.
Old 01-02-2016, 17:58   #1069

Gilletarom,
The only change I am working on at the moment is to allow the EBL to rotate with the boat. I am putting in a few fixes for EBL properties, but they just correct wrong information. The EBL rotation will require a change to the EBL Properties page and the Options/Preferences/EBL. Sorry about that, but.....

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Jongough,

I think I understood.

In the third case, I had not had the idea of leaving right click the mouse anywhere on the map area to change tools.

I will rebuild my page on the functioning of different screens. That's a lot of work. Hopefully by now you no longer will change all that. Otherwise I would have again a third time

But such is life .... Pfuuuu.

B.R. Gilletarom.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:16   #1070

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Gille as always your penetrating questions and search for consistency and logic do help us. Yes, I agree that this Layline or Tacking tool is a very good tool to have.

Quote:

Note that there is more sailor that need layline, that sailorwhich require EBL (radar). And this because a lot of sailboat have no radar.
Also what I said about the EBL tool is not correct. It should, when first entered act as a Radar EBL, but then the tool can be modified through the right click button choosing the ends or the middle (context sensitive) to be a more Generalized EBL for dead re-conning etc. We thought these modification would give the tool more utility. However, strictly speaking, it is no longer an EBL in the sense of a Radar EBL. I hope this is not too confusing..

Right now, I definitely think the Tacking Layline tool should be a different tool to help avoid confusion.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:06   #1071

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Right now, I definitely think the Tacking Layline tool should be a different tool to help avoid confusion.
Whether Jongough creates a new tool or modifies the current tool. The important thing is that this is the most convenient and easier to use for users
(and incidentally, the most easily explained in the tutorials. Moreover it is easy to explain, it will be easy to use).
Old 02-02-2016, 10:59   #1072

Agreed Gille. I don't mind multi-purpose tools.
Old 02-02-2016, 15:19   #1073

Quote:
Rick,
Currently my pulls have not been accepted into the weather routing plugin, so the only way to test is to clone my repository at:
https://github.com/jongough/weather_routing_pi

This is my fork of Sean's weather_routing_pi, if this is not the current and valid source can you point me to the correct one and I will apply my changes to that?

You will need to use the 'fixes' branch and compile that. You will then find when you go to properties you can select 'Boundary' in the same location you can select 'Landfall'. If you do this AND have a boundary in the way of your path when you do the 'Calculate' it will create the route around the boundary.

Jon
Jon I recompiled with the fixed branch. and then tried it and it works.
See screenshots. Will upload to file thingie later.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weather_routing_around_boundary.png
Views:	178
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	118212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weather_routing_configuration.png
Views:	378
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	118213  

Old 02-02-2016, 23:21   #1074

Rick,
Thanks for testing the weather routing.

Now I have uploaded patch 639 which reworks EBL's so that they can rotate with the boat. There are new settings in the OD properties/EBL panel and in the EBL properties panel. I have tested it with Cog but cannot test with headings, but it should work, but....

Give it a go and let me know if it is on the correct path for what people say they want.

Regards
Jon
Old 03-02-2016, 02:10   #1075

Boat: Najad 34

Jon
You're so skilled and helpful -

I've done some EBL testing:
I've a HDT and the EBL rotation is following that when desired!
Issues:
1) -Bug??:
The EBL is now rotating even if DefaultEBLRotateWithBoat=0

2) -Bug
If ID_EBL_MAINTAIN_WITH_HEADING=1 and no heading is available the EBL angle a mishmash. The angle in my test changed from ~+30 to -30

3) -Opinion:
If DefaultEBLRotateWithBoat=1 && ID_EBL_MAINTAIN_WITH_HEADING=1 and no heading is available please switch to follow COG instead.

4) -Opinion:
Give priority to COG, when "Rotate with boat" is checked for the first time. E.g. if no active user option between COG/HDT let COG be default.

Build error due to failure in sv.mo
The sv.mo in today's fetch is missing a "new line". I'm sorry for that but the one in Crowdin is tested correct and I think that's the same you've in issue #198.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:24   #1076

Jon
Another EBL issue:
If "rotate with boat" is active it's very hard to move the EBL-point. The point and the line is jumping away from the cursor when COG/HDT changes. Is it possible to freeze the angel while the point is moved?
Håkan
Old 03-02-2016, 02:34   #1077

Jon
A third EBL issue:
The EBL length is now decreasing over time.
Håkan
Old 03-02-2016, 03:43   #1078

Jon,
Do you know if we still use form builder to adjust menus for Windows?
I have done this once or twice but have forgotten just how to proceed. I don't even know where to find Form Builder now, there are so many in a google search.

I would like to adjust the menus in Weather_routing_pi, they have bothered me for too long, and I should just fix them. Any getting started suggestions would be appreciated.

I have also uploaded the Weather_routing_pi with the boundary feature to Opencpn Beta File Thingie.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:08   #1079

Rick..
See for example: C:\..............\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi\src \chartdldrgui.cpp That file and its header are build with formbuilder
Code:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// C++ code generated with wxFormBuilder (version Jun  5 2014)
// wxFormBuilder download | SourceForge.net
//
// PLEASE DO "NOT" EDIT THIS FILE!
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Håkan
Old 03-02-2016, 09:24   #1080

Ah ah wxformbuilder. Thankyou Hakan!