Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2016, 03:13   #961

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Hello Jongough,

There are two items which are used to modify the slip area of the map as one approaches the edge of the map area with the mouse.

For these two components it is stated in the "opencpn.org" website, it is percentages. Or a percentage goes from 0 to 100. On the settings sliders we go from 0-10.

Here are two ways to understand:
- 0 corresponds to 0% and 10 corresponds to 10%
- 0 corresponds to 0% and 10 to 100%

Although I made up my mind, I prefer to ask: Which is right?
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 03:54   #962
NAV

Jon,

Attached is an update of the Dutch po-file, which may be put into GIT as long as the latest pot-file is not present in CrowdIn.
Attached Files
File Type: doc drawnl_22012016_2.po.doc (43.0 KB, 39 views)
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 04:08   #963

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Jongough,

About EBL line and more particularly, about this item "Center on boat" that appear when we change the first point of the line.

I find that in the item "Center on boat", the word "Center" is not well chosen. This is the starting point of the EBL line to be on the boat.

An item that says "Put the starting point on the boat" would seem to me more appropriate.

For the item "Center on boat position (Lat/lon)", I'd rather "Putting the starting point of the EBL to the position of the boat"

Am I wrong ? Gilletarom.
Gilletarom, I've thinking about this. Its pretty late in the game and the documentation would have to change. We had these discussions a long time ago. I thought the one we ended up with "Center on boat position (lat/long) was pretty good. Could be "Move start point to boat position (lat/long)".

I can understand why Jon might not want to change it right now, introducing document changes at a late date and possible errors.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 04:18   #964

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Chris,
Sorry about this but I saved the previous message too quickly and could not change/correct it. It should have said:

I got it wrong, the user icons for OD have to be in the OD plugin data directory in a directory called 'UserIcons' which should be in the same directory as 'data' which contains the ODnavobj.xml and ODnavobj.xml.changes

For windows this would be:
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi\UserIc ons

Jon

Jon,

Ok thanks. It is a pity that it's necessary to maintain two locations for UserIcons. Is there any chance that the plugin could use the main UserIcons directory in the future?

Thanks for the explaination on the name rollovers .

I am seeing graphics issues with the size and shape of true text point text areas. They do not resize or move correctly. Much worse with OGL on . I'm sailing at the moment but will try to get screenshots in a day or so.

Chris

SY Morgane
http://tweedsworld.com
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 05:35   #965
NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
I just noticed a strange thing: I've seen these two 'Centre ...' strings in the pop-up menu for EBL (and translated these in the language file), but now these strings are disappeared from the menu and I only see 'Pick a new startpoint'.
I see now what happens: these strings are only visible in the menu when the start point of the EBL is not on the own ship.
Old 24-01-2016, 05:50   #966
NAV

Quote:
Attached is an update of the Dutch po-file, which may be put into GIT as long as the latest pot-file is not present in CrowdIn.
And a second update, because the pot-file on GIT was updated a few hours ago.
Attached Files
File Type: doc drawnl_24012016.po.doc (43.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 24-01-2016, 06:18   #967

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
I now see that after the move of a point the calculation is done again, so the figures are right. I should have looked better ...

Route preparation is important, should be done in advance, and routes shouldn't be planned over sandbars. I still think that a (real) Dead Reckoning position is a position calculated using your guessed course and speed to obtain your present position when no positioning systems are available.

The DR functionality of Draw shouldn't replace a detailed preparation of your routes. DR in Draw gives you predicted 'tracks' and positions (based on guessed speed and course), which is not a route (although it has route properties), neither a track (history). This may be useful in practice.

However, it seems that the DR functionality may be used by some to replace route preparation and routes which, I think, is not a good practice.

According to Bowditch (American Practical Navigator)
Maritime Safety Information

Chapter 7 Dead Reckogning "Dead reckoning is the process of determining one's present postition by projecting courses() and speed(s) from a known past position, and predicting a future position by projecting course(s) and speed(s) from a known present position. The DR position is only an approximate position because it does not allow for the effect of leeway, current, helmsman error, or compass error."

"An estimated position (EP) is a DR position corrected for the effects of leeway, steering error, and current."

Therefore the DR position should be based on heading and speed through the water, either past for actual DR or planned for projected DR.

Roger
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 07:49   #968
NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerD View Post
Bowditch Chapter 7 Dead Reckogning: "Dead reckoning is the process of determining one's present postition by projecting courses() and speed(s) from a known past position, and predicting a future position by projecting course(s) and speed(s) from a known present position. The DR position is only an approximate position because it does not allow for the effect of leeway, current, helmsman error, or compass error."

"An estimated position (EP) is a DR position corrected for the effects of leeway, steering error, and current."

Therefore the DR position should be based on heading and speed through the water, either past for actual DR or planned for projected DR.

Roger
I must admit that I missed the future part ... My experience is that in practice this is mainly done in the (paper) chart (often only visually without plotting), for one or a few hours in advance, using dividers and the drawn course line.

Because OCPN Draw uses COG and SOG (from the recent past), you might say that the resulting DR-points are indications of EP's instead of DR-positions. For accuracy reasons, the DR-lines in Draw should never be too long.

The procedure given in Bowditch is based on military practice. In the merchant navy and in recreational sailing, such an extensive DR-plot as described in Bowditch will not be maintained. One of the reasons: only one officer on the bridge in the merchant navy and probably 4 or 5 persons on a Navy vessel.
Old 24-01-2016, 07:55   #969

Jongough,

I want you set a feature, if you please.

This is about text point.

The value of these points is that you can set up an information. The current drawback is that to read this text, you have to right click to bring up the context menu, left click to select "Properties" and again left click to display the contents of the second tab in the window properties. In short, it takes 3 clicks.

Is it possible, in a single left click on the text point, to obtain the opening of a window displaying only the information that is in the text the point?

It would be very simple. and very useful. Thank by advance. Gilletarom.
Old 24-01-2016, 08:20   #970

Hello Jongough, hello All,

An other feature :

Regarding the text points: I find this way to call this tool, inelegant.

On reflection, this tool is a post-it, ie those little pieces of paper, self adhesive on one edge on which we just write information to not forget them.

I would suggest changing the name of the tool and replace "Text point" with "Post-it". But "Post-it" is a trademark. So it would not be a good idea.

It seems to me that, in English, there is a word that would be suitable. It is the word "Reminder". Another solution would be "Notepad"

You think to replace "Text point" with "Reminder" (or "Notepad" )?

As for the French language, it's easy to translate. It would be possible to use a word familiar to all french speaking: "Pense-bête". Hello other translators, what do you thing of this kind of idea ?
Old 24-01-2016, 08:33   #971

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerD View Post

According to Bowditch (American Practical Navigator)
Maritime Safety Information

Chapter 7 Dead Reckogning "Dead reckoning is the process of determining one's present postition by projecting courses() and speed(s) from a known past position, and predicting a future position by projecting course(s) and speed(s) from a known present position. The DR position is only an approximate position because it does not allow for the effect of leeway, current, helmsman error, or compass error."

Roger

Yes!

Perhaps the appropriate symbology could be used automatically. The initial DR icon automatically changing to an EP when it's moved?

SY Morgane
Old 24-01-2016, 08:39   #972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Jongough,

I want you set a feature, if you please.

This is about text point.

The value of these points is that you can set up an information. The current drawback is that to read this text, you have to right click to bring up the context menu, left click to select "Properties" and again left click to display the contents of the second tab in the window properties. In short, it takes 3 clicks.

Is it possible, in a single left click on the text point, to obtain the opening of a window displaying only the information that is in the text the point?

It would be very simple. and very useful. Thank by advance. Gilletarom.

Or you set them to display "always" or on "rollover" then there is no need to right click .

It's very useful I've started using it to experiment with and am getting addicted

SY Morgane
Old 24-01-2016, 08:47   #973

Hello Jongough,

A little bug.

I create a EBL line. Then I change the first point. You can see that in this case, the icon of this new first point is not the icon that I choice in my general preferences for this kind of point.

See screen-copy. Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-24-EBL_First_point_icon.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	117403   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-24-EBL_First_point_icon_proprietes.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	117405  

Old 24-01-2016, 08:58   #974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Or you set them to display "always" or on "rollover" then there is no need to right click .

It's very useful I've started using it to experiment with and am getting addicted

SY Morgane
Tweed's World | A high latitude sailor preparing for tropical cruising
Yes, but if we want to put a web link as possible on normal OpenCPN marks, will not be usable. May be elsewhere, not in the projected Jongough ???
Old 24-01-2016, 09:04   #975

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Gilletarom, I've thinking about this. Its pretty late in the game and the documentation would have to change. We had these discussions a long time ago. I thought the one we ended up with "Center on boat position (lat/long) was pretty good. Could be "Move start point to boat position (lat/long)".

I can understand why Jon might not want to change it right now, introducing document changes at a late date and possible errors.
Hello RGleason,

What I ask, no need change in code. Juste need to change file language.

Best regards. Gilletarom.