Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 23:18   #946

Boat: Richter 42
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Chris,
I got it wrong, the user icons for OD have to be in the OD plugin data directory in a directory called 'UserIcons' which should be in the same directory as 'data' which contains the png & svg files that OD uses

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Jon,

Thanks for the plugin; it adds vital functionality for me, particularly the text points. Don't worry I understand and appreciate the logic of the rollover, always, never feature.

As for user icons. I have them installed correctly and use them in routinely in OCPN but they do not show up in the OD plugin. See screen shot which shows icons selection scrolled all the way to the bottom but no user icons showing.

They are in C:\ProgramData\opencpn\UserIcons

Chris
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 23:41   #947
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

On Crowdin there is still an outdated version for translations....
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 00:00   #948

Chris,
Sorry about this but I saved the previous message too quickly and could not change/correct it. It should have said:

I got it wrong, the user icons for OD have to be in the OD plugin data directory in a directory called 'UserIcons' which should be in the same directory as 'data' which contains the ODnavobj.xml and ODnavobj.xml.changes

For windows this would be:
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi\UserIc ons

Jon
Old 24-01-2016, 00:07   #949

Chris,
All points and paths have a rollover which shows the type of object you have rolled over and any name that is associated with it. The Text Point is a special case where the rollover is changed to the 'Display Text' when the 'On Rollover' is selected, if either 'Always' or 'Never' is selected the standard rollover is shown.

Perhaps the rollover should not show if the name of the Point is shown, but this would then change the current 'normal' behaviour. Part of the reason for the rollover is to let you know that your mouse pointer would select the object if you were to double left click or single right click.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Hmmm no I don't or there is a bug.

See attached screenshot.

In this you can see I have some display text entered and show set to "Never"; which is OK.

I also have the "Show Name" checkbox selected in the first tab; and the name is showing.

But when I rollover the point I get the yellow rollover appearing with the text "Text Point: Name: xxxxxxxxxx" where xxxxxxxxx is the name I have given the point.

I get the same rollover is the display text option is set to always but not if it is set to rollover.

Chris
Old 24-01-2016, 00:14   #950

Nav,
I have not seen this behaviour, but that does not mean it cant happen. Can you please try and workout what you have to do to get this to occur and then let me know. I had another problem a little while ago where a user was reporting strange behaviour but I could not reproduce it. When it was described 'exactly' what was being done it became possible for me to test. In this case I draw all my boundaries anti-clockwise and they did it clockwise. Simple once we found that, but very hard to find without a good description of how it was created.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
Defined single points, text points and points as basis for a round area seem not to be saved and are (not always?) gone after closing and later opening OpenCPN and OCPN Draw again.

This doesn't happen with lines and areas consisting of straight lines.
Old 24-01-2016, 00:19   #951

Nav,
Another user requested this capability, I thought it broke the whole reason for a DR on a chart, but they wanted the capability. To aid in better building DR line I also allow the initial conditions to be changed using the right mouse click on the DR to get back to the dialog with the parameters in.

I suppose in this case it is up to the user how they want to use the facilities. At the moment an OD DR line is just a drawn line and has no affect on OCPN. It would be possible to convert the DR line to a Route if there was a need, but at the moment this has not been requested and I am trying not to put extra functionality in as we approach a proper release. If you want a change like this could you raise it in flyspray agains OD?

Jon

Quote:
In Draw you can move a DR point of a predicted DR track. That shouldn't be possible, in my opinion. The predicted DR Track and DR points are calculated using a given COG and SOG. Moving one of the points disrupts the logic behind DR positions.
Old 24-01-2016, 00:23   #952

Gilletrarom,
I have found the issue and it should be fixed in the next patch.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello jongough,

I hope that this time, I will not have made a mistake.

The item "Course over Ground" is present in English but the item "Course over Ground (T)" is not present in English. Therefore, it is not translated into French. See screen copy.

Gilletarom.
Old 24-01-2016, 00:30   #953

Gilletarom,
The EBL when it was developed could not be moved from the boat, the starting point was always the boat. This was changed due to a user request, so I needed some way to get back to the start, i.e. the start of the EBL was at the boat location and would move with the boat, hence "Centre on moving boat" and "Centre on boat lat lon". I was also trying to minimise the number of words to make the popup better. The other thing to remember is that the EBL is also used for the VRM and they, to me, make more sense when centred on the boat, but....

Jon

Quote:
Hello Jongough,

About EBL line and more particularly, about this item "Center on boat" that appear when we change the first point of the line.

I find that in the item "Center on boat", the word "Center" is not well chosen. This is the starting point of the EBL line to be on the boat.

An item that says "Put the starting point on the boat" would seem to me more appropriate.

For the item "Center on boat position (Lat/lon)", I'd rather "Putting the starting point of the EBL to the position of the boat"

Am I wrong ? Gilletarom.
Old 24-01-2016, 00:42   #954
NAV

Quote:
Hum, on the contrary, we need to change the trajectory of a reckoning (DR). Otherwise, it will certainly be the best way to go straight for a rock or sandbar or ... etc ...
I now see that after the move of a point the calculation is done again, so the figures are right. I should have looked better ...

Route preparation is important, should be done in advance, and routes shouldn't be planned over sandbars. I still think that a (real) Dead Reckoning position is a position calculated using your guessed course and speed to obtain your present position when no positioning systems are available.

The DR functionality of Draw shouldn't replace a detailed preparation of your routes. DR in Draw gives you predicted 'tracks' and positions (based on guessed speed and course), which is not a route (although it has route properties), neither a track (history). This may be useful in practice.

However, it seems that the DR functionality may be used by some to replace route preparation and routes which, I think, is not a good practice.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 00:44   #955
NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Can you please try and workout what you have to do to get this to occur and then let me know.
Jon,

I'll try to do that. At this moment it's still not clear to me.
Old 24-01-2016, 01:09   #956
NAV

Quote:
The EBL when it was developed could not be moved from the boat, the starting point was always the boat. This was changed due to a user request, so I needed some way to get back to the start, i.e. the start of the EBL was at the boat location and would move with the boat, hence "Centre on moving boat" and "Centre on boat lat lon". I was also trying to minimise the number of words to make the popup better. The other thing to remember is that the EBL is also used for the VRM and they, to me, make more sense when centred on the boat, but....
I agree with Gilletarom that the word 'Centre ...' is not well choosen. In Dutch I refrased it.

I just noticed a strange thing: I've seen these two 'Centre ...' strings in the pop-up menu for EBL (and translated these in the language file), but now these strings are disappeared from the menu and I only see 'Pick a new startpoint'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBLmenu.PNG
Views:	98
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	117392  
Old 24-01-2016, 01:20   #957

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Jongough,

I agree with Hubert you need to find a way to update the Crowdin website.

Currently you have returned to the old system of the time was used poedit. In this system the, it is difficult to synchronize the work of all the translators.

On your side, the crowdin you can, every day if you want, download at once all the language files without having an organizational effort to do. Everything happens already in place in folders and subfolders.

As for translators, who have not need to look for the pot file. With the system Crowdin, they know where to do the translations.

Best regards, Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 01:21   #958
NAV

Quote:
...this was changed due to a user request ...
A general remark, not referring to any request or any change:
It might be that some users have bad navigation habits and like to see support for those bad habits in navigation software .... It's something any developer should take into account.
Old 24-01-2016, 02:00   #959
NAV

Quote:
The other thing to remember is that the EBL is also used for the VRM and they, to me, make more sense when centred on the boat, but....
I agree, and that's the reason I don't use 'EBL' and 'VRM' (both also in nautical Dutch well known English abbreviations) in the Dutch language file, but instead use the more general terms 'bearing line' and 'distance circle'.
Old 24-01-2016, 03:00   #960
NAV

Quote:
Defined single points, text points and points as basis for a round area seem not to be saved and are (not always?) gone after closing and later opening OpenCPN and OCPN Draw again.

This doesn't happen with lines and areas consisting of straight lines.
Jon,

I did some tests and as far I can see, the cause of this behaviour is simpler than I initially thought:

It happens whenever you have those points defined, deactivate the plugin and activate it again. After the activation these points are disappeared.