Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 07:08   #811

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Hello Jongough, hello All,

I know I'm going to ask embarrassing questions. As this thread already has very large pages, these questions have probably already been discussed. But the questions asked by translators show that we do not know what is this plugin.

I end up thinking that I must dare broach the subject.

I have a French word to translate "Boundary". This is the french word "Limite". But what is a Boundary ? For me, it is :

- A border, that is to say a line without thickness. This kind of boundary separates the plane into two parts A and B. And we should not be able to cross the border, or from A to B or from B to A, or. Possibly, probably more rarely, from A to B and B to A.
- An area in which we must not enter or which one should not go out.

I do not imagine a point as a limit.

Therefore, there are two kinds of limitations: The areas and the lines.

I wonder two things:
1) Why the separation between "boudary" and "Boundary Point" in the current version of the plugin? What, a point it could be considered a limit?
2) Currently, it is impossible to clearly define a zigzag line without this line defines a zone? Why ?

I would prefer there to be both tools for following boundary:
- A tool "boudary line" ----> currently does not actually exist.
- A tool "Boundary area".

Eventually, since the tool "Boundary Point" already exists, it can be stored.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 07:23   #812

Jongough,

I do not undestand this item, that I never see when playing with OD :
"Match VRM colour to EBL colour"

What is WRM ?
Old 17-01-2016, 07:30   #813
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

VRM= Virtual Range Marker
Comes from Radar screens and are Range Rings from a given Point.

In our case you generate a VRM from the start point of an EBL (Electronic Bearing Line) and in might have (depending on the general settings of OD) a different color.
The option you are asking about allows to match the colors of the two graphs.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 07:41   #814
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Jongough, hello All,

I have a French word to translate "Boundary". This is the french word "Limite". But what is a Boundary ? For me, it is :

- A border, that is to say a line without thickness. This kind of boundary separates the plane into two parts A and B. And we should not be able to cross the border, or from A to B or from B to A, or. Possibly, probably more rarely, from A to B and B to A.

You can translate it as a "delimiter", an object that separates.

If it is a line you can say "don't cross" from either side.
If the object is an area then you can define inside/outside.

Boundary points are the defining points for the boundary objects with p=2 a line and p>2 an area.
Special case p=1, a single point. By itself it does not have an extension or reach, and in case it should delimit something it is required to define the range in the form of a Range Ring.

For me the logic is ok and not broken.

Hubert
Old 17-01-2016, 07:50   #815
NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post

I do not imagine a point as a limit.

Therefore, there are two kinds of limitations: The areas and the lines.

I wonder two things:
1) Why the separation between "boudary" and "Boundary Point" in the current version of the plugin? What, a point it could be considered a limit?
2) Currently, it is impossible to clearly define a zigzag line without this line defines a zone? Why ?

I would prefer there to be both tools for following boundary:
- A tool "boudary line" ----> currently does not actually exist.
- A tool "Boundary area".

Eventually, since the tool "Boundary Point" already exists, it can be stored.

Gilletarom,

So far (I look into this since this morning) I understand the functionality of the Draw plugin as follows (I do agree that several expressions are very confusing, therefor I feel free in the way how these should be translated):
1. 'Boundary' gives the possibility to define lines which form a (e.g. rectangular) area. Such areas can then be defined as "stay out of it or "stay within it".
2. "Point" gives the possibility to define a (centre)point and optionally a circle around it. The optional circle can be considered as a round boundary or limit. Also these circle areas can be defined as "stay out of it" or "stay within it".
3. EBL is just a line, with optionally a VRM circle around the end position (end point). This is confusing because a VRM normally is centred on your own position (the vessel).
4. DR is just a line that is a prediction of the track that possibly will be followed in the future. Optionally with a prediction of future positionpoints on it.

A 'boundary' consisting of 2 points (1 line) is a 'boundary line' I assume. I didn't test this yet.

I expect that the functionality (thus the command button) for rectangular areas cannot logically be combined with the functionality (thus the command button) for round areas.

The expression DR or Dead Reckoning for future positions is also strange in my eyes. A DR position is the (present or earlier) position of your vessel that is guessed, based on speed and course assumptions (when there are no positioning systems available to obtain a fix). It's not a possible future position.

NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:04   #816
bcn

The manual

ODraw | Official OpenCPN Homepage

is perhaps a bit lengthy but there is already such a broad selection of options that it is really worthwhile to go through it.

Very open to suit to individual requirements.
Jon started in order to overcome the problem that in the waters he is navigating there are a lot of zones - reefs - that are not well charted. To show zones where to stay off or the other way around areas where it is for example safe to anchor.

Concepts from OCPN core like Markers, Paths, and Tracks have been re-used to make it easier for the user (and easier to start to implement).
Old 17-01-2016, 08:16   #817

Jongough,

Sorry to disturb you another.

What are "shared OD Points" (I see this in : "Do you also want to make the shared OD Points being part of this boundary invisible?")
Old 17-01-2016, 08:24   #818
bcn

Imagine you have created two boundaries which have common points.

When you want to hide one boundary - what should happen to the points common to the other boundary or area?

The same thing exists for Routes and Markers in the OCPN core Route manager.
Old 17-01-2016, 08:39   #819

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
Additionally, I cannot get the right translation to be showed on screen for the string 'Distance'. The Dutch word 'Verheid' (which is distance sailed or distance to sail) remains to be displayed, although in this case I translated 'Distance' using the more general expression 'afstand'.

I tried deactivating and activating the plugin, opening and closing OpenCPN and restarting the PC, but 'Verheid' remains extremely persistent.
NAV
I think this is an old discussion a year or more ago. When the same term is used in a plugin as in the core OCPN code the core translation is prevailing.

So it could be that Distance is translated in OCPN core to Verheid? That discussion was if I remember correct also about distance, or maybe range?, but to Swedish and France and since it started to be very complicated and a "never ending story", it finally closed by the mentioned rules.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:41   #820

Hubert,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
The manual ODraw | Official OpenCPN Homepage
is perhaps a bit lengthy but there is already such a broad selection of options that it is really worthwhile to go through it.

Very open to suit to individual requirements.
Jon started in order to overcome the problem that in the waters he is navigating there are a lot of zones - reefs - that are not well charted. To show zones where to stay off or the other way around areas where it is for example safe to anchor.

Concepts from OCPN core like Markers, Paths, and Tracks have been re-used to make it easier for the user (and easier to start to implement).
Hubert,

I have read and reread, assistance with this plugin in the manual of the future version 4.2. I worked almost for a week to think about using this plugin. I have already started writing two pages in the website shoreline.fr .They are not yet online but you can view them.
Here : OpenCPN, Compl?ment OCPN Draw
and: OpenCPN, Compl?ment OCPN Draw
The second page is far from over. And I certainly will modify the first too.

You tell me Jongough sailing in areas with lots of pebbles ... We here in Britain, we have a lot of rocks. And France is war declared between software developers to facilitate routing.

For example, I attended a demonstration of Maitai, which featured his QtVlm software, the Paris Boat Show. To determine an intelligent route that avoids the pitfalls and the islands in the English Channel, it uses boundary lines which are then closed areas, but also boundary that are open lines serving as absolute limits.

And with the Jongough tool, currently, it can create boundaries which are areas but not the limits which are zigzag lines without areas.

So sorry, but I maintain my questions. They are the result of much thought.

Old 17-01-2016, 08:47   #821
NAV

At Rollover of a boundary line, the info probably (?) contains translations from OpenCPN core. This results in strange information.

Example: for routes in core in Dutch the words 'route' (route) en 'routedeel' (leg) are used.
In Draw, the Dutch words 'lijn' (line) and 'lijndeel' (line part) are used.

I don't want to see the word 'routedeel' in the boundary line rollover info .....
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:44   #822

Jongough,

I use the last compilation of the core of OpenCPN posted online by RGleason in the thingie. I also use the compilation OCPN_draw located in the thingie.

See the attached screenshot.
In the window of the point properties, it is no longer possible to check the "Show the rings" check box because there is no checkbox.
But I asked the display of several circles. (Obviously I said Ok).
The circles have not displayed around the point. (The point is just to the right of the window).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-17-Rings_not_displayed.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	116882  
Old 17-01-2016, 10:02   #823

Jongough,

Note that I did all the translations in the crowdin. I then downloaded the French translation of the language file and I installed in my PC. This works fine as always. but it also allows you to see strange things.

In my previous post, please look again at the screenshot. The title does not appear as such in the list of items. In addition, I have translated the word "Boundary" by the french word "Limite". So the word Boundary should not appear in the title of the window.

In French, it should be "Propriétés de la limite".

"Propriétés de la limite" = "Boundary properties" But the item "Boundary properties" is not present in the english language file.
Old 17-01-2016, 10:18   #824

Jongough,

Working with Boundary Point.

See screen copy. I create has two boundary points. The I have a line with a first end point and a dot. I rename the end the point as "Point 1"
Then by rollover on the line it APPEAR que le name of the line is now also "Point 1". Is this normal ?

And Normally, the word "Boundary" should be replaced by "Limite"
Old 17-01-2016, 10:25   #825

Oups Gilletarom mismatch . Sorry Jongough.

Here two screen copy, the first for the post #822, the second for the post #823.

And, please, Disregard my post # 822. I had not seen that the checkbox "Show circles" was much higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-17-title_bad_displayed.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	116885   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-17-Error_Text_name.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	116886