Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 13:12   #886

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Jongough,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Gilletarom,
This is the correct behaviour as you are moving the start of the line. Perhaps the start point should move with the mouse pointer rather than leaving the current line drawn until the new start point is picked. I am not really sure which is the best way to show moving the EBL, I found this method quite OK, but then I would I suppose. I wonder what others think?

Jon
If you read that, I said that I understood myself by morning. In fact, the time to take my meal, I understood what you just explained. Simply, it was not natural for me.
Remember that I used OpenCPN for 6 years. And I realized, in 6 years, many tests. Simply, your logic is not the one I'm used to with the other plugins and the heart of OpenCPN.

For over 10 days I'm trying to understand how this plugin and what we can do with it. I had not regularly followed the first thread of 53 pages. In short, I come with a new look but also habits.

And he'll have to explain it all happens in the tutorial in French.
I feel myself attacked a mountain, so there are new situations and often unusual.

For example, I think the role that you give the right click action. Note that I do not know any software where it is used as you made. The right click is used in normal times, to open context menus. This will disturb many people. I have understood better that you use the "Escape". BUT, am I alone with that opinion ???

For example again, I still think about how you do it to move a waypoint on DR. This is quite different from how to do with route. And yet, a route and a DR is the same. This will require users to "keep in mind" many different cultures.

I think this will not facilitate the deployment of OpenCPN facing the concurrency of other software. I am convinced that it will homogenize it. BUT am I right ???

That said, I measure the work done by you to create this plugin.

Best regards, Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 14:12   #887

Hello Jongough,

The disaster is that the language file is probably actually updated. Here's why it's a disaster: There are texts that are displayed and which are not items.

For example, the text "Insérer Limite Point" which appears in French, does not exist in the items. Similarly "Déplacer Limite". Here's another: "Copier Limite Identificateur unique." For French, the texts are not well understood and the last of the three was downright nonsense in our language.

I also saw another text that made no sense. In seeking this other text in the crowdin I understood the texts construction method.

The display texts are often constructed with several separate items that are displayed in an order corresponding to the habits of the English language. Regardless of the fact that in foreign languages, the word order is not necessarily the same.
Moreover, in French, there is never unnecessary capital in the middle of sentences.

It's catastrophic. This ignores the fact that translators will need to find solutions that are comprehensible translations in their language!

I translated the core and all plugins. I wish that my French is correct. In this context, in this plugin, this is imposible.

We have to find a solution. I hope this will be possible. I remain at your disposal to help you.
Old 20-01-2016, 14:21   #888

Boat: Richter 42

Gilletarom,
The right click to end the OD boundary creation could bring up a context menu, but it would only contain 1 item, 'End Boundary', so I thought why use it as it would require and extra click. If it is needed I can bring up this menu. However, I cannot bring up the menu displayed when you right click to end a route as that menu is built by OCPN and is not accessible to plugins.

Are you saying you want to have the properties panel open before you can move a point and/or do you want to move any point by just left dragging it (no right click to make sure you have the correct object)?

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Jongough,

For example, I think the role that you give the right click action. Note that I do not know any software where it is used as you made. The right click is used in normal times, to open context menus. This will disturb many people. I have understood better that you use the "Escape". BUT, am I alone with that opinion ???

For example again, I still think about how you do it to move a waypoint on DR. This is quite different from how to do with route. And yet, a route and a DR is the same. This will require users to "keep in mind" many different cultures.

I think this will not facilitate the deployment of OpenCPN facing the concurrency of other software. I am convinced that it will homogenize it. BUT am I right ???

That said, I measure the work done by you to create this plugin.

Best regards, Gilletarom.
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 15:10   #889

Jongough Good evening, (I say goodnight because here it is almost midnight but, at your home, that's probably not the case)

No, I do not ask you to open an context menu. I say it is not usual to use the right mouse button as you use it. And I say that it would have been customary to use the "Escape" key rather than a right click.
That said, I see that it's faster to use the right click. It would be a little less quick to use the "Escape" key.

For cons, I do not know how I would do on my tablet. ? There is no real right click on a touch pad. Certainly we can open the keyboard that appears on the screen. But it's really not pleasant.
And besides, with a tablet, nor the right click nor the use of escape would be a good idea.
In the heart of OpenCPN, Dave has developed a strategy to operate OpenCPN on tablets, without a keyboard. It certainly asked a lot of work.

Best regards. Gilletarom.

P.S.: I suppose, as I know myself, my previous post (#887) was written too harshly. If this is the case, I beg you to excuse me for.
Old 20-01-2016, 15:56   #890

Gilletarom,
We are currently 11 hours ahead of UTC, so I do this stuff when most people in Europe are going to bed/are in bed.

You can use the Escape key to stop drawing objects AFTER you have done the first left click but not before. Perhaps I should allow Escape to be used BEFORE the first left click.

I have used the OD plugin on an Android tablet and a PI using the Android tablet VPN/RDP into it. The right mouse click seems to be implemented by a two finger touch of the screen, rather like the left mouse click being a single finger touch. Doing this I could access all of OD and create the objects needed. The double left mouse click is just a double single finger touch.

I know english is not your first language and therefore understand the issue of expression. I have only just started to look at the multi-language support as although Pavel implemented it early last year I have been more focused on functions and bugs. I tried to follow the way that OCPN does its strings, but obviously this is not working too well.

Would you rather I used longer strings with more words at the risk of repeating strings with different punctuation, or shorter strings that may be more difficult to translate in isolation from OD?

Jon

Quote:
Jongough Good evening, (I say goodnight because here it is almost midnight but, at your home, that's probably not the case)

No, I do not ask you to open an context menu. I say it is not usual to use the right mouse button as you use it. And I say that it would have been customary to use the "Escape" key rather than a right click.
That said, I see that it's faster to use the right click. It would be a little less quick to use the "Escape" key.

For cons, I do not know how I would do on my tablet. ? There is no real right click on a touch pad. Certainly we can open the keyboard that appears on the screen. But it's really not pleasant.
And besides, with a tablet, nor the right click nor the use of escape would be a good idea.
In the heart of OpenCPN, Dave has developed a strategy to operate OpenCPN on tablets, without a keyboard. It certainly asked a lot of work.

P.S.: I suppose, as I know myself, my previous post (#887) was written too harshly. If this is the case, I beg you to excuse me for.
Old 20-01-2016, 16:52   #891

Hello Jongough,
Quote:
Gilletarom,
We are currently 11 hours ahead of UTC, so I do this stuff when most people in Europe are going to bed/are in bed.
I know english is not your first language and therefore understand the issue of expression. I have only just started to look at the multi-language support as although Pavel implemented it early last year I have been more focused on functions and bugs. I tried to follow the way that OCPN does its strings, but obviously this is not working too well.

Would you rather I used longer strings with more words at the risk of repeating strings with different punctuation, or shorter strings that may be more difficult to translate in isolation from OD?
Jon
Thank you for your patient response.

Concerning the items and texts, the rule is: 1 Item in the language file 1 = Display text. Of course, this requires you to put more items in this file, but this is the only way for each translator to take account of the peculiarities of its language.

Currently, all the other plugins and the heart of OpenCPN follow this rule and we can always translated very correctly.

I understand that the current state of things, it will require a lot of work to change the code of your plugin. So sorry.

That said, it's late and I'll go to sleep and stop bothering you.

Old 20-01-2016, 21:04   #892

Gilletarom,
I have updated the presentation text in OD so I hope I have got all the strings. I have tried it with french and it looks OK to me, but.... I have changed the way that the strings are created for presentation, i.e. dialog boxes, popups, etc., so now you should get the full text to translate so that you can rewrite it all to make sense. As I am language poor, only speaking one (and most say badly) I will need others to check and see if I have got all instances.

There is a new POT file in git to match this. I have also put up a windows executable for OD here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfnq0qva0n...win32.exe?dl=0

This should work with the current 1317. I did a small fix in OCPN post the release of the beta to fix an issue with languages if it fails to load correctly. The fix just removes an error message on startup. If you get that then you may want to build a new OCPN from the current git.

Regards
Jon

Quote:
Hello Jongough,

Thank you for your patient response.

Concerning the items and texts, the rule is: 1 Item in the language file 1 = Display text. Of course, this requires you to put more items in this file, but this is the only way for each translator to take account of the peculiarities of its language.

Currently, all the other plugins and the heart of OpenCPN follow this rule and we can always translated very correctly.

I understand that the current state of things, it will require a lot of work to change the code of your plugin. So sorry.

That said, it's late and I'll go to sleep and stop bothering you.

Old 21-01-2016, 00:14   #893

Hi,
I have just put up patch 624 which may prove disruptive to other plugins, particularly if they are loaded after OD. I have just found that after getting the Private Application Data Location the OD plugin changed the value maintained in the mainline rather than working on a local copy. It has been working this way for quite some time and I know that the s63 plugin on my system has been using this modified location to store its charts. With this change to OD you may need to reinitialise your s63. To check, if there is an s63 directory under the ocpn_draw_pi/data directory (where all the svg and png files are stored for OD), then this change will affect you.

Sorry about this, but I thought it better to fix in beta rather than wait.

Regards
Jon
Old 21-01-2016, 00:55   #894
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Jon,

do I understand you correctly that the OD did "bend" the data location to be under the OD part of the data directory - issue you have changed now with the latest patch?

As far as I know there are right now very few users with a s-63 PI for the beta:

- Gilletarom
- you
- Dave (?)
- us

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 02:18   #895
bcn

Jon...

.623 installs, but does not load into .1317 for me:
Code:
11:12:54 AM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.1.1317\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll
11:12:54 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.1.1317\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll' (error 126: das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.)
11:12:54 AM:    PlugInManager: Cannot load library: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.1.1317\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll
Hubert
Old 21-01-2016, 04:24   #896

Quote:
Gilletarom,
I have updated the presentation text in OD so I hope I have got all the strings.
There is a new POT file in git to match this. I have also put up a windows executable for OD here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfnq0qva0n...win32.exe?dl=0
This should work with the current 1317....
Jon
I had installed the working version of Jean Pierre, with which worked well loaded plugins. In this version, the installer you just proposed does not. The plugin is not visible in the list of plugins when you go into the "Options" of OpenCPN.
I tested this on my PC and my 8.1 W W10 tablet.

I will re-install the normal version of O411317 and see if it works.

Gilletarom.
Old 21-01-2016, 04:27   #897
bcn

Quote:
The plugin is not visible in the list of plugins when you go into the "Options" of OpenCPN.

Gilletarom.
The same here with the standard 4.1.1317 - forgot to mention before

Hubert
Old 21-01-2016, 07:56   #898
NAV

Using the latest pot-file Jon prepared and after translation to Dutch, I noticed that the words Move and Insert (like in 'Move EBL Point', but for all combinations) are not translated. Also, in the title bars of all Properties Windows, the word 'Properties' is not translated. In the dialog windows for confirmation of deletion, the text is not translated too.

It's a nuisance that for the same English strings in OpenCPN and in a plugin (but with different translations in another language), always the OpenCPN string shows up in the plugin.

I've not yet installed patch 624, and haven't tested other plugins to see if Draw has any influence on these.

I could have lived with the previous pot-file that made combinations of strings, but Gilletarom is right that single, full strings are less confusing.

Generally, it's working here, accept for some OpenCPN crashes now and then (not yet experienced today!). I'm using W10 and the OpenCPN 4.1.1317 beta from File Thingie.

I still see the 'Path' tab ('Path' not translated), but Jon is working on that so I understood.

Here, the plugin is visible in the list of plugins.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 12:31   #899
NAV

Clicking on 'No' when asked 'Are you sure you wat to delete this point?', the plugin does remove the point.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 00:09   #900

Hubert,
Yes the old OD did "bend" the data location, it moved it to be the "data" directory where the png/svg files are stored. This resulted in that being used for the base for the s63 plugin at least. This change will "unbend" it, so if anything is relying on the "bent" version it may stop working.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Jon,

do I understand you correctly that the OD did "bend" the data location to be under the OD part of the data directory - issue you have changed now with the latest patch?

As far as I know there are right now very few users with a s-63 PI for the beta:

- Gilletarom
- you
- Dave (?)
- us

Hubert