Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 00:19   #31

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Dear Jon,
I'll continue to learn about the plugin. Thanks for the explanation how to close the boundary. I don't know why the icons aren't showing correctly is there something I should check for you? -works anyway.

About the errors, it doesn't matter too much, just thought you might want to know.
Let me know when you change the way to compile please (somehow, a brief note on the forum thread would be ok or through github messages. Thanks.

I'll keep using it and testing.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:29   #32

Boat: Richter 42

Rick,
I have now moved the boundary code to the master branch and started another boundary branch to take the changes I am making. So master should be stable and boundaries may be unstable as I continue to add stuff to it.

I don't think I will be making changes that alter the way it is compiled, but the changes may involve many of the modules. I sort of want to change the internal names a bit to make them easier to use and fit better with the intent, i.e. OCPNPoint may become ODPoint as in "Opencpn Draw Point". Still thinking on that.

Have you checked out the right click on the point in a boundary in the path properties dialog? You should be able to change colours, range rings, icons etc.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:14   #33

Jon,

Can cbange boundary colors and fills.
It does great circles.
The boundary seems to be showing more, before it was disappearing more often without my deactivating. However it did disappear several times at first with this new compile....
Don't know what causees it yet.

One other thing that I don't understand is why there is a rubber band from some point not on the screen which seems to stay the same even after entering points. There is some routine that is not getting the coords of the last point entered.

Also the startup rubber banding part of the routine seems to need a little polishing for Windows (its a bit picky) because before starting it is rubber banding from some unknown point (it is not the boat position, tried that and tried moving the boat) even before entering the first boundary point.

The pencil does appear. I still have jigsaw pieces for icons. The great circle boundaries are good. I don't know what you want to do about allowing crossovers when defining boundaries. If they were not allowed your fills would work better.

Also the fill routine is not too sophisticated with respect to concave type situations because it seems to just run straight across. -There are better words to describe this...but the attached images should show what I mean.

The plugin gets better with every commit and it is very nice to see the progress.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2015, 02:21   #34

Photos hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Bounadaries.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	100162   Click image for larger version

Name:	ocpn_draw_great circle-cyan-colors-etc.PNG
Views:	208
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	100163  

Old 09-04-2015, 18:33   #35

Rick,
I have not had the boundaries dissapear on me and they do come back after a 'crash' (really terminate in debug mode when testing' as well as after a clean shutdown. But Windows may well act differently to Linux and I am still only using Linux at this stage. I will get to the windows stuff soon, but I am still creating functionality, and making sure it compiles and runs on windows. If you can try it out with opengl turned off you 'may' find it acts differently.

The next set of coding may sort out the issue with the rubber banding starting from an point off of the screen. I found at least one error that caused that. I know I have a problem on my system where occasionally it appears that I have clicked off of the screen as the page jumps sideways. I am not sure if it is my system or a general problem, but again, I am not focused on this at the moment.

I have done some more work on the icons, but have not tested it on windows. I did find some variables that may have been left uninitialised that may have caused this. As for cross overs, I will leave that for the moment as I want to get more of the base functionality working. I also probably need some more thinking time for it.

With opengl it seems to follow the outline of the boundary most of the time except for the last one or two points (still testing that), but with opengl turned off it works fine (as far as I can tell).

I am currently updating the interface to allow a right click AFTER you have first left clicked the toolbar icon, i.e. before you drop the first point. This currently switches between drawing a boundary and dropping a 'Point' on the chart. The idea is to expand the list of drawing types you can have to include a 'straight' lines with 3 points, which will rotate about the middle point. This will allow setting up leading lines, etc. and possibly other types of drawing. Hopefully today or tomorrow I should be able to put the first version of this up for you to try. I will then turn to the 'preferences' to allow setting up defaults.

Thanks for the feedback and testing. It is helping me identify areas that need further investigation.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Jon,

Can cbange boundary colors and fills.
It does great circles.
The boundary seems to be showing more, before it was disappearing more often without my deactivating. However it did disappear several times at first with this new compile....
Don't know what causees it yet.

One other thing that I don't understand is why there is a rubber band from some point not on the screen which seems to stay the same even after entering points. There is some routine that is not getting the coords of the last point entered.

Also the startup rubber banding part of the routine seems to need a little polishing for Windows (its a bit picky) because before starting it is rubber banding from some unknown point (it is not the boat position, tried that and tried moving the boat) even before entering the first boundary point.

The pencil does appear. I still have jigsaw pieces for icons. The great circle boundaries are good. I don't know what you want to do about allowing crossovers when defining boundaries. If they were not allowed your fills would work better.

Also the fill routine is not too sophisticated with respect to concave type situations because it seems to just run straight across. -There are better words to describe this...but the attached images should show what I mean.

The plugin gets better with every commit and it is very nice to see the progress.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2015, 02:35   #36

I have made some changes that make the drawing of closed boundaries now correct, well better. The shading should now be inside the boundary, however, I am not sure if I have the crossing correctly setup.

Windows still seems to be a 'little' different and seems to render some items in opengl and not others and does different things when not in opengl. I must have missed some setting somewhere! On my system it seems to want to want to put up two lots of icons in the toolbar. I will keep on looking.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:17   #37

Jon
I have determined that this intel haswell cpu using intel graphics may need an update.to the opengl drivers. Things are not working as well as with the nvidia graphics on my laptop.
In particular I notice it wirh the climatology extended data using overlays. It may also be affecting charts, tacknlay and ocon_draw.
I just have to get the update installed and hope it fixes the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-04-2015, 08:20   #38

Isnt one icon for management and the other to create?

Old 10-04-2015, 13:19   #39
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Jon, Rick...

- does the PI require 4.1.x (4.0.0 is not sufficient?)
- is there a compiled Win version for download?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 14:00   #40

There should be two icons added to the toolbar. The first one is for the manager, the second for drawing. On my windows system I seem to get four icons, not sure why so I am looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Isnt one icon for management and the other to create?

Old 10-04-2015, 14:35   #41

Thanks Jon. Hurbert Tonight I can upload to file thingie, jon's most current.

Old 10-04-2015, 14:54   #42

Hurbert have uploaded very recent to file thingie under 4.1 folder.
You need ocpn v4.1 can you get it? I could upload that too.
Old 10-04-2015, 17:59   #43

I have just put a new version up which 'should' show the icons if they are in the correct place, currently "C:\ProgramData\opencpn\OCPNDraw\images". I cannot seem to get cmake and internal code to line up. I cannot find a way to make cmake use the ProgramData directory.

There are still issues with windows:
  • Drawing works with opengl but not in normal mode (i.e. it does not show up)
  • Points don't show up at all in either mode
  • ODnavobj.xml has data in it but ODnavobj.xml.changes does not
These problems do not show up on my system under linux, but I may just be lucky ;->

You need to have the latest OCPN 4.1 build to make it work.

I have built an installable, but you do need to copy the images files as they are located in the wrong place. You can find it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lusnymtdvr...win32.exe?dl=0

It may or may not work, no guarantees.

Jon
Old 10-04-2015, 23:34   #44

Have installed new HD Graphics drivers, but have seen no real changes using the most current. I note that Ocpn has updates and need to update opencpn.lib and update ocpn too and then tryt the plugin again.

May be a couple of days as we are traveling.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:34   #45

I have now added the properties page to the Plugins section of options. This will allow the setting of defaults for OCPNPoints (essentially waypoints by another name), Paths (the base class for drawing lines) and Boundaries (the whole reason for doing this). Currently only OCPNPoints and Boundaries have an effect, the other tab being for 'future use'.

I think this is now the base functionality. The code does need a bit of cleaning up and it does need to be fixed for windows, but it works under Linux OK as far as I can tell.

Jon