Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2019, 07:29   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
O-charts (oeSenc) and W10 1903 ?

Is there a risk to lose access to the oeSenc charts from O-charts after upgrading to W10 1903 (which should be available shortly everywhere) ?
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 12:24   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: O-charts (oeSenc) and W10 1903 ?

There is no common Yes/No for this W10 case.

In general the W10 Updates will not change the identity of the system.

However we see always some installs that will show up as a new one.
One digit percentage. But a nuisance of course.

We have no chance to know this in advance - MS will not ask us when or how they modify their stuff.

For this cases we will recommend in the future to use a USB dongle as a "portable system". Installing the chart sets in various PCs and using them only when the dongle is present.
Will be available in the very near future.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 13:27   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Slight hijack, but if the original question was answered, let's make this into a general oeSenc migration/software update thread -- can you migrate a set of OeSenc charts from a broken old machine, to a new one? And how?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 13:49   #4
bcn

No, you can't. A broken system is that: invalid.

We are required to limit licenses to one system plus one back-up.

That's why you have that second license to be used in parallel or once a systems gets killed.

In the near future there will be an option to use a USB dongle as a "portable system": copy the charts onto several PC's and the charts will be only active on the system the dongle is plugged in.

Take it like an insurance...
Until you loose the dongle.
Old 15-05-2019, 15:01   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
No, you can't. A broken system is that: invalid.

We are required to limit licenses to one system plus one back-up.

That's why you have that second license to be used in parallel or once a systems gets killed.

In the near future there will be an option to use a USB dongle as a "portable system": copy the charts onto several PC's and the charts will be only active on the system the dongle is plugged in.

Well, if one backup is allowed, then I can use the backup copy on the new machine, can't I? If it was not used previously?

Not a trivial question for me, as I bought a large set of charts from you for a not small sum of money, covering the whole Baltic plus Germany and Iceland.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 15-05-2019, 15:10   #6

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Yes you can. I have all my oesenc charts loaded on two devices, as back-up

Though as an afterthought I lost an out-of-date set of charts recently when the laptop updated to W10 1809. Be careful with Windows updates ...
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 23:20   #7
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post

Those W10 systems are clear candidates for a dongle solution.

The funny - not for the owner - thing is that only a small fraction of W10 system changes identity when updating. Microsoft will know why, we have to see a pattern yet.
Old 15-05-2019, 23:46   #8

I understand the restriction: One Life system and one for backup - thats ok. - but when my hw is getting outdated why can I not just replace it with something new, delete the license on the (old) life system (maybe only when being online) and enable another system identifyer to be set for the future. This way I can also just have 2 licenses available for updates.

I am looking forwards to the planned USB dongle but am somehow skeptical based on past experiences with usb dongles - lets wait and see
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 23:59   #9
bcn

How shall the "uninstall" being verified?

Requires being a) online and b) some kind of spyware on your system to check if you don't re-install a back-up copy later on.
Price of "comfort"

"Android" comes to my mind in this context.

There is no DRM system without pain. Add to this the ideas the original licensors have how more or less restrictive it should be handled.
Old 16-05-2019, 00:30   #10

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
I understand the restriction: One Life system and one for backup - thats ok. - but when my hw is getting outdated why can I not just replace it with something new, delete the license on the (old) life system (maybe only when being online) and enable another system identifyer to be set for the future. This way I can also just have 2 licenses available for updates.

I am looking forwards to the planned USB dongle but am somehow skeptical based on past experiences with usb dongles - lets wait and see
I can't see the restriction as a problem in practice. The oesenc license is for a year after which there are no more updates, so you need to renew annually to keep up to date. How often do you change your "outdated h/w"? I bet it's not every year ... ...
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 01:36   #11

Boat: Halmatic 30

Win10 is software as a "service".

You do not own the Win10 software. The Owner lives in Redmond and looks daily in your system what you are doing if your connected to the internet.

All the information goes to servers in de US with backdoor connections to the NSA.

How about Huawei ?

MS updates for Win10 are difficult to stop and they change whatever they like.

Better take another Operating system for your navigation purposes.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 03:35   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Win10 is software as a "service".

You do not own the Win10 software. The Owner lives in Redmond and looks daily in your system what you are doing if your connected to the internet.

All the information goes to servers in de US with backdoor connections to the NSA.

How about Huawei ?

MS updates for Win10 are difficult to stop and they change whatever they like.

Better take another Operating system for your navigation purposes.

Bram

I doubt if the NSA cares much about what's on my nav computer, which is never online anyway.

But all the uncontrollable processes drive me crazy. I'm going to Linux for my next nav computer.
Walt Whitman
Old 16-05-2019, 05:39   #13

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But all the uncontrollable processes drive me crazy. I'm going to Linux for my next nav computer.

I was a happy Linux user for a while. I converted a couple old Windows laptops to Ubuntu 12.04 and was very pleased with the improved performance. I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 when it came out. Performance wasn't as good but it was still acceptable. I tried upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04 but performance was so bad I reverted to 14.04.

When OpenCPN 5.0 came out it wasn't available for 14.04. No matter what version of Windows you are running you can simply download and install the OpenCPN version you want. It's different with Linux. The installation package (called a repository in the Linux world) is different for each operating system version. After I raised the issue the OpenCPN folks compiled version 5 for Ubuntu 14.04, but I had already installed Windows on my two computers. With Ubuntu scheduled to discontinue support for 14.04 soon I figured OpenCPN support for Ubuntu 14.04 was going to end soon anyway.

I think I could have avoided the repository problem if I built OpenCPN from source, but I don't know how to do that. I've followed the threads enough to know it isn't trivial to do. And I am not sure that would solve the problem. There may be libraries used in newer OpenCPN versions which are not compatible with older Ubuntu versions.

I think Linux is a better solution than Windows, especially with the new "Windows is a service" pitch. But Linux has a steeper learning curve and you may find yourself messing about with computers more than you like.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 05:52   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
I was a happy Linux user for a while. I converted a couple old Windows laptops to Ubuntu 12.04 and was very pleased with the improved performance. I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 when it came out. Performance wasn't as good but it was still acceptable. I tried upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04 but performance was so bad I reverted to 14.04.

When OpenCPN 5.0 came out it wasn't available for 14.04. No matter what version of Windows you are running you can simply download and install the OpenCPN version you want. It's different with Linux. The installation package (called a repository in the Linux world) is different for each operating system version. After I raised the issue the OpenCPN folks compiled version 5 for Ubuntu 14.04, but I had already installed Windows on my two computers. With Ubuntu scheduled to discontinue support for 14.04 soon I figured OpenCPN support for Ubuntu 14.04 was going to end soon anyway.

I think I could have avoided the repository problem if I built OpenCPN from source, but I don't know how to do that. I've followed the threads enough to know it isn't trivial to do. And I am not sure that would solve the problem. There may be libraries used in newer OpenCPN versions which are not compatible with older Ubuntu versions.

I think Linux is a better solution than Windows, especially with the new "Windows is a service" pitch. But Linux has a steeper learning curve and you may find yourself messing about with computers more than you like.

Fabbian

I'm aware of that risk, which is exactly kept me using Windows for so long for this.

But I'm sick of Windows and it seems to me that Linux might not be all that bad since (a) this is strictly a nav computer, so no need to mess with different drivers; (b) once I get it running, that should be it, no?

Can you or anyone else recommend WHICH version of Linux is best and easiest for O?
Walt Whitman
Old 16-05-2019, 05:59   #15
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Can you or anyone else recommend WHICH version of Linux is best and easiest for O?
Mint is pretty popular, you could try a few booting from a pen drive -
https://www.google.com/search?q=linu...hrome&ie=UTF-8
https://linuxmint.com/about.php

Not sure if the repositories are set up for Opencpn but that's just a one off to set.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, enc