Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2022, 10:34   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
NZ Charts S-63

Hubert [BCN]

Quote:
Brett,

please open an thread of its own- here it will be got lost.

Did you go through the S-63 manual?
https://o-charts.org/manuals/s63_index.php?lng=en

In order to install you will need the OpenCPN InstallPermit - this one is different from the keys you received from LINZ. The InstallPermit links your system to the chart set. Arequiement to limit the number of systems using the same license. You generate it at your account at the o-charts shop.

Hubert

Brett

Quote:
Hello, can someone please advise if I can use/install the NewZealand S-63 charts from https://encservice.linz.govt.nz/ and use on OpenCPN?
I have S-63 user permit (from O-charts) and installed this in OpenCPN. I have registered with https://encservice.linz.govt.nz/ and downloaded the basemap, a permit txt file and a ENC.PMT file from above site but can't seem to get it to work?
I am lost on the OpenCPN settings - S63 Keys and Permits tab.. I have my user permit showing (tests okay) but can't seem to add anything else from the files received?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:37   #2

Re: NZ Charts S-63

1. I find that the plugin Chartdownloader has an RNC selection for NZ. I have tried to download it and use it. It downloads a catalog file xml and a BSB_root.zip. This file has to be manually unzipped.
and the entire database rebuilt before it will work.

2. I find that the o-chart instructions for getting an S-63 permit and attaching a fingerprint file are not at all clear, and certainly impossible because that function was removed from the o-chart plugins and S-63 no longer appears in the Option > Charts tabs.

https://o-charts.org/index.html?lng=en

Quote:
To use S-63 charts under OpenCPN follow our manuals.
[Installing UserPermits/InstallPermits and S-63 charts]

1. Quote:
  2. Go to OpenCPN → Options → Charts → S63 Charts → Keys/Permits tab and create a system identifier file (Fingerprint) for your system pressing the "Create System Identifier file" button.
  3. Go to o-charts shop and buy an UserPermit.
    [o-charts shop]
  1. Go to o-charts shop and buy an UserPermit.
    [o-charts shop]
Old 12-04-2022, 11:14   #3

NZ Using the Chartdownloader for RNC charts

1. I find that the plugin Chartdownloader has an RNC selection for NZ. I have tried to download it and use it. It downloads a catalog file xml and a BSB_root.zip. This file has to be manually unzipped.
and the entire database rebuilt before it will work.

I think the BSB_root.zip file should be expanded automatically so users don't get confused!

Also when you make a new NZ group and add the path to the NZ charts, make sure you include the correct path or it is not going to work. Because I expanded and the zip file automatically made a new subdirectory "BSB_root" under NZ, I had to rebuild the database to be able to select that path "NZ/bsb_root" to add it to the new NZ Chart Group. Once that was done and the database updated, the NZ RNC charts appeared in OpenCPN when that NZ chartgroup was selected.

So in conclusion, NZ rnc Chartdownloader charts are working but the installation could be more seamless if the bsb_root.zip were automatically expanded to directly to the chosen NZ directory rather than a new BSB_root directory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (294).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	255865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (293).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	255866  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (292).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	255867  
Old 12-04-2022, 11:40   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

ZIP files are (and have been for many years) extracted automatically by the chart downloader. I would bet your download is incomplete.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:16   #5
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

2. I find that the o-chart instructions for getting an S-63 permit and attaching a fingerprint file are not at all clear, and certainly impossible because that function was removed from the o-chart plugins and S-63 no longer appears in the Option > Charts tabs.
If you don't have the S-63 in your system then check the plug-in settings. It is there for all architectures (but Android).

Forget the o-charts plug-in when talking about S-63. Two complete different pair of shoes.
The S-63 plug-in has the option to generate the required system identifier file aka fpr. At the Keys/Permit tab in Options|Charts --> S-63

Right as described in the S-63 manual at https://o-charts.org/manuals/s63_index.php?lng=en

Btw.: the S-63 fpr is not valid for the o-charts pi and vice versa...
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 12:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
ZIP files are (and have been for many years) extracted automatically by the chart downloader. I would bet your download is incomplete.

Yes, I think that is what happened. The second time it completed properly and NZ rnc is displaying as a group as I set it up.
Thanks. All dated 10/31/2021
Old 13-04-2022, 12:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
If you don't have the S-63 in your system then check the plug-in settings. It is there for all architectures (but Android).

Forget the o-charts plug-in when talking about S-63. Two complete different pair of shoes.
The S-63 plug-in has the option to generate the required system identifier file aka fpr. At the Keys/Permit tab in Options|Charts --> S-63

Right as described in the S-63 manual at https://o-charts.org/manuals/s63_index.php?lng=en

Btw.: the S-63 fpr is not valid for the o-charts pi and vice versa...

Ok, so the S-63 plugin must be installed and enabled.
Then I go to the S-63 tab and find two tabs
  • Chart Cell Permits
  • Keys/Permits - First click "Create System Identifier Tag" also known as the "Fingerprint File"
Go to o-charts.org and log in then

Go to the Shop under S-63

https://o-charts.org/shop/en/module/ocpermits/ocpermits

I have a User Permit, but no Install Permit. I select my user permit, and then for the "Finger print file" or "System Identifier Tag" I picked "Choose file" and navigated to the most recent fingerprint file and selected that.

Then I picked "upload file"

Then switched back to the Options > Charts > S-63 tab
and in the Keys/Permits tab entered"
  • User Permit
  • Install Permit
  • and System Identification has the path to the fingerprint file created.
Now what?

How would I access the S-63 files from NZ that Brett discusses?

"use/install the NewZealand S-63 charts from https://encservice.linz.govt.nz/ and use on OpenCPN"
Old 13-04-2022, 13:11   #8
bcn

Sorry Rick,

- so with your account at o-charts.org and logged in(?):

- you have a OpenCPN S-63 UserPermit? From o-charts.org? .....3147 ?

Installed and tested ok in your system?

- you created an fpr in your S-63 plugin, uploaded it in your o-charts account and got an OpenCPN InstallPermit? You installed that one in your system and tested it ok?

Please reread the manual in case.

Hubert
Old 13-04-2022, 15:40   #9

Quote:
Sorry Rick, (Hubert, trying to learn)
- so with your account at o-charts.org and logged in(?): (Yes)
- you have a OpenCPN S-63 UserPermit? From o-charts.org? .....3147 ? (Yes)
Installed and tested ok in your system? (yes)
- you created an fpr in your S-63 plugin, uploaded it in your o-charts account and got an OpenCPN InstallPermit? (Yes)
- You installed that one in your system and tested it ok? (Yes)

Please reread the manual in case.

Hubert
So essentially, I have an S-63 permit that is now connected to a certain computer via the "Fingerprint - System Identifier Tag" that I created inside the Opencpn Options > Charts > S-63 Tab and it all seems to be recognized and has an "Install Permit" number created by O-charts when I added the Fingerprint file to the S-63 Permit. I have entered both the S-63 permit number and the Install Permit number into the S-63 Tab and they test OK.

Now I think I have to download the NZ S-63 charts from here
https://encservice.linz.govt.nz/download and unzip and install them under my Charts/NZ directory.

Then I think I have to register https://encservice.linz.govt.nz/regi...istration-form using my S-63 Permit.
Old 13-04-2022, 16:28   #10

I've downloaded and expanded and installed the two chart files.
I have also registered with NZ Chart Services using the S-63 permit number from my O-chart account.

The NZ Website has this information:
https://encservice.linz.govt.nz/registration

Quote:
Once successfully subscribed, within 3-5 days you will receive notification that your ENC cell permit(s) are available. You will need to login in to your NZ ENC Service account to download the ENC cell permit(s). Your navigation system will look for this cell permit file to read the 'S63 encrypted' NZ ENCs.
So I guess I need to wait for those files to be generated and sent, before I can use the charts.
Old 20-04-2022, 06:36   #11

@bcn
I do not believe they sent me the necessary permit file to put in the directory. Are you familiar with the process? I was recently asked via NZ email to update the charts again which I did, but the charts do not appear, and perhaps the permit file is missing, or I haven't configured properly.

Quote:
I've downloaded and expanded and installed the two chart files.
I have also registered with NZ Chart Services using the S-63 permit number from my O-chart account.

The NZ Website has this information:
https://encservice.linz.govt.nz/registration

So I guess I need to wait for those files to be generated and sent, before I can use the charts.
Old 20-04-2022, 06:59   #12
bcn

You shall get the Permit.txt file from LINZ once registered and the charts requested.
Old 20-04-2022, 16:47   #13

Quote:
You shall get the Permit.txt file from LINZ once registered and the charts requested.

I have registered, do I have to request the charts? I did download the base and updates while logged in wouldn't that be the same as requesting them?
Old 21-04-2022, 19:09   #14

I have found the Permit.txt file. It is not emailed, it is located in your account, under Systems and Subscriptions, then click on the "+" after the system number that you entered, which expands the listing where you will be able to download the Permit.txt.

I have now done that and put it into my Chart/NZenc directory alongside the expanded charts and alongside the ENC_ROOT, EXTRAS, and INFO directories. I have rebuilt the db and added the chart paths and create a Chart Group for NZenc and the charts are not appearing yet.

Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn
Quote:
I have registered, do I have to request the charts? I did download the base and updates while logged in wouldn't that be the same as requesting them?
Old 21-04-2022, 22:13   #15

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
I have now done that and put it into my Chart/NZenc directory alongside the expanded charts and alongside the ENC_ROOT, EXTRAS, and INFO directories. I have rebuilt the db and added the chart paths and create a Chart Group for NZenc and the charts are not appearing yet.
Did you also do this bit?

1. Go to OpenCPN → Options → Charts → S63 Charts → Chart Cells tab.
  2. Install Cell Permits by using the button "Import Cell Permits" to find the file PERMIT.txt inside your S-63 chart sets.
  3. Import your S-63 chart sets by pressing "Import Charts/Updates" and finding the folder ENC_ROOT.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts