Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2017, 17:46   #1
Moo

NV-Charts

The documentation says that NV-Verlag offer worldwide charts.

I can't see anything for areas outside of the Atlantic coasts of Europe and North America. I won't list links here but I have visited various nvcharts sites .

What am I missing? Or has "World" been used in a particular Atlantic centrist manner?

I've had bad experiences with Chartworld before and don't particularly want to revisit them. I'm looking for the Pacific Islands in particular. I have the NZ charts, old CM 93 and for the moment have access to up-to-date Nobeltec C-Map and am looking for something as good as C-Map, and as current.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 13:34   #2

Re: NV-Charts

If you find anything pertaining to the South Pacific Moo, let me know. I am looking for the some of the same, plus Central and South America.

I downloaded the New Zealand charts the other day, they do provide some of the S. Pacific Islands but not in very much detail.
dragonlady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:25   #3

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

This seems like a good place to post my experience with NV Charts, specifically with OpenCPN. I am fortunate to be based just a few miles from the the US office of NV Charts. I stopped by today confident that I knew just what I needed for the Windward Islands in the Caribbean.

I was wrong.

US rep Kimberly Lutz got me sorted out with the right product, the key to unlock the charts, and some quick guidance from headquarters in Germany to get the charts loaded into OpenCPN. Very pleased with the quality of the charts and extremely pleased with the customer support.

Recommended.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 18:05   #4

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
The documentation says that NV-Verlag offer worldwide charts.

I can't see anything for areas outside of the Atlantic coasts of Europe and North America. I won't list links here but I have visited various nvcharts sites .

What am I missing? Or has "World" been used in a particular Atlantic centrist manner?

I've had bad experiences with Chartworld before and don't particularly want to revisit them. I'm looking for the Pacific Islands in particular. I have the NZ charts, old CM 93 and for the moment have access to up-to-date Nobeltec C-Map and am looking for something as good as C-Map, and as current.

Quote:
No....., at the time when I wrote that piece of documentation, nv was listing quite a few chart bundles for the Pacific and Indian Ocean. There was never a comprehensive coverage for the Pacific Islands, though, as far as I can recall.
It seems like these areas have been discontinued, and that the documentation may have to be updated, unless anyone has better info.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 22:25   #5

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
...needed for the Windward Islands in the Caribbean.

I was just there. I have 3 different sets of charts covering the area in perfect detail, raster and vector formats. These are freely available charts. The data agrees and is sufficient, all these islands are well charted for a long time now, I don't think you need NV charts there.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 23:39   #6

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
This seems like a good place to post my experience with NV Charts, specifically with OpenCPN. I am fortunate to be based just a few miles from the the US office of NV Charts. I stopped by today confident that I knew just what I needed for the Windward Islands in the Caribbean.

I was wrong.

US rep Kimberly Lutz got me sorted out with the right product, the key to unlock the charts, and some quick guidance from headquarters in Germany to get the charts loaded into OpenCPN. Very pleased with the quality of the charts and extremely pleased with the customer support.

Recommended.
I'd love to get some info on how to use my NV charts in OpenCPN.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 00:19   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I have 3 different sets of charts covering the area in perfect detail, raster and vector formats. These are freely available charts.
What are you using and where did you find them? I wasn't successful find anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I'd love to get some info on how to use my NV charts in OpenCPN.
Some NV Charts are BSB. Once you expand and unencrypt them just point OpenCPN to the chart directory. If you charts are in the NV Charts format there is an OpenCPN plug-in. The charts on SD cards, vice CD or download, aren't compatible with OpenCPN.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 00:34   #8
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

There is the NV chart plug-in for Windows for actual NV charts.
It is documented in the OCPN manual.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 11:23   #9

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Is there a reason the NV Charts plugin would not work on Mac? I was able to pull down the source and compile and it seems to work and load into OCPN just fine. I don't have charts to test with but was wondering if there is some other Windows related component that is needed to get this working or if there is a sample chart somewhere that I can use to test with?
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 11:35   #10

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
Is there a reason the NV Charts plugin would not work on Mac? I was able to pull down the source and compile and it seems to work and load into OCPN just fine. I don't have charts to test with but was wondering if there is some other Windows related component that is needed to get this working or if there is a sample chart somewhere that I can use to test with?
The actual decryption libraries are Windows DLLs distributed with the charts and loaded at runtime based on their registration in the Windows registry, so although the plugin may be buildable on other platforms, it won't actually work at all.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 11:02   #11

Boat: Ohlson 38
Loading NV-Charts

I have tried to load nv charts via plug-in into opencpn for the first time . I am using the Dongle as licensing, the charts are all on my pc and work well eg with the chart navigator software. Somewhen during the loading process into Opencpn the program crashes. What to do? Any idea would be nice.
blueprint_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 23:22   #12
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Which is your environment - operating system, OpenCPN version and NV-plugin version?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 04:21   #13

The NVC plugin is discontinued. Already, I experienced that I could not upload new NV-charts in OpenCPN.
Does this mean that I can no longer use NV-charts in OpenCPN? Or is there an alternative plugin?
Alfred Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 17:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Boom View Post
The NVC plugin is discontinued. Already, I experienced that I could not upload new NV-charts in OpenCPN.
Does this mean that I can no longer use NV-charts in OpenCPN? Or is there an alternative plugin?
Have you found an answer yet to the NV charts plug-in question? I am about to purchase a large set of NV paper charts for the Baltic and Northern Europe and hoping to use the digital version in OpenCPN.
EdenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:09   #15

I have received a response from both OpenCPN en NV charts.
OpenCPN has discontinued the NV charts plugin. Alternative is de ENC-files from O-charts. These are vector-charts, dedicated for use with OpenCPN.
In the new OpenCPN website, all reference to NV charts is removed.

NV charts was not involved in this decision. They have put in no restrictions in the use of their charts in OpenCPN.
Alfred Boom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts