Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2022, 06:49   #1

No xHD overlay on 5.2.4 w/RPi 4

Greetings from Lefkas Greece. Just purchased a sailboat and about to head home with it. I have installed an openCPN system for navigation using a Raspberry Pi 4. I have two 21.5” touchscreen monitors (waterproof and sunlight readable- one at each helm) plus a 12” monitor that duplicates the monitors at the helms, on a 15m hdmi cable so I can drag it around anywhere down below. I have AIS, a Garmin xHD radar, Raymarine Tridata for depth and water speed, a ST60+ for wind speed/direction, and a Raymarine S3 autopilot. The Seatalk 1 data bus is connected to a Yacht Devices YDMN-02 Multiplexer. The multiplexer also receives the AIS data, and the multiplexer is connected to a Copperhill PICAN-M NEMA0183/2000 HAT. Data is transmitted between the PICAN-M and the YDMN-02 at 38400 baud.

Despite the eloquent description of my system, I have a single problem - the output of the xHD radar will not overlay my chart window. It was for a while, but now it is being displayed as a separate window. The overlay was Overlay 1 in the Window tab of the radar menu. But now it makes no difference if the overlay is on or off. Hide/Show PPI simply is turning off or on the radar window.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Before anyone recommends I upgrade to the latest version of openCPN, I tried for over a week, but could not get the plugins to download. So for now I would rather stick with my 5.2.4 version.

Kind regards,
David
S/V Dragon Fire
YouTube “Sailing Solo at 70”
dfansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 01:38   #2

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: No xHD overlay on 5.2.4 w/RPi 4

I would guess that your system lost the heading input. Without a heading (and position) no overlay. Check the NMEA debug window if HDT or HDM messages are coming in. As a test you could tick "enable COG as heading" in the preferences. Fine for a test but not for sailing.

Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote